Defending Builders

DeletedUser

This is an option that is needed imo. It doesn't make sense that a town might have a couple of strong soldiers or even possibly duelers sitting around while enemies came in and carved up the workers and builders.

I see many ways this could be implemented, however there should be some way for at the least Soldiers to intercept attacks on the civilian population. Perhaps the character would have to be in town, and perhaps protection could only be provided while the builder was actually working on a building not out doing some job.

But the point is the more and more levels the average character gains, the larger the gap between the combat characters and the workers is going to become. At this point the only way to try and protect your own builders is to attack the city in retribution, which is going to just leave alot of pissed off workers who really can't do anything about it if they want to focus on working. And soldier's can't contribute much because they are more defensive in nature.

Anyways just a thought it makes alot of sense to me that at least some sort of protection should be able to be provided. What do you guys think.

DeletedUser794

It makes sense and is an excellent idea, though it needs to be clearer on exactly how it will work in game.

Say if a designated worker (only some can be protected) is attacked, than any of the fit and working soldiers would automatically make the defence? The attacker would instead see the stats of the soldier and have the option of attacking or retreating?

Could be abused and needs work, but definately a good idea.

DeletedUser

Maybe at level 10 you can only protect 1 named person, at level 15, 2, at level 20, 3 and so on? It does make a lot of sense. Also, you have to be members of the same town and both characters must be in town for the protection to be activated.

DeletedUser

I hope the sheriff won't be too weak, maybe his level could be improved with the level of the sheriff building.

DeletedUser

I opened a post along these lines a while ago, thought the sheriff should be a designated soldier, and should duel any successful attacker.

DeletedUser

I think you do, although it could mean a high level soldier creating a double account in which his double plays the game alot.

DeletedUser

I agree, while a town may only have one sheriff, in a place like this with constant dueling, robbing etc wise sheriffs are going want to deputize some of the more rough and tumble crowd anyway. If you don't want to beat them over and over again enlist them. :) If the designated defender (sheriff for instance) is in a little trouble, his deputies could back him up, possibly getting a little bonus per deputy. It is a duel so one on one but knowing that the sheriff has 4 deputies waiting to trounce you has got to make a difference. Or possibly even after defeating the sheriff each deputy steps up to try his hand next, after the sheriff goes down. Like the bonus idea better though.

Also, I wouldn't think the builder would necessarily only get protection while building. If I was a carpenter and couldn't shoot my way out of a paper bag I am going to run and hide behind the sheriff no matter where we at the time. So definately in town, and maybe even within a small perimeter around the town. Or a deputy who is within x distance (say they are out fishing together) should be able to help too.

Aside from town loyalty, perhaps the defender might take a little money from the town coffers or the defended townsperson as a reward for a successful save.

Perhaps each townsperson would have a flag/toggle to list them as protected/neutral/protector and those with protected have to pay a set amount of money to town or directly to the deputies on a daily/weekly basis as well as a bonus each time they are defended.

I must say I love the idea, and would be much more willing to play a builder if that were the case. Who wants to be Mr Workaday if any Johnny Two-Guns can come hassle you and no one is going to help? I'm packing too!

DeletedUser

I agree, while a town may only have one sheriff, in a place like this with constant dueling, robbing etc wise sheriffs are going want to deputize some of the more rough and tumble crowd anyway. If you don't want to beat them over and over again enlist them. :) If the designated defender (sheriff for instance) is in a little trouble, his deputies could back him up, possibly getting a little bonus per deputy. It is a duel so one on one but knowing that the sheriff has 4 deputies waiting to trounce you has got to make a difference. Or possibly even after defeating the sheriff each deputy steps up to try his hand next, after the sheriff goes down. Like the bonus idea better though.

Also, I wouldn't think the builder would necessarily only get protection while building. If I was a carpenter and couldn't shoot my way out of a paper bag I am going to run and hide behind the sheriff no matter where we at the time. So definately in town, and maybe even within a small perimeter around the town. Or a deputy who is within x distance (say they are out fishing together) should be able to help too.

Aside from town loyalty, perhaps the defender might take a little money from the town coffers or the defended townsperson as a reward for a successful save.

Perhaps each townsperson would have a flag/toggle to list them as protected/neutral/protector and those with protected have to pay a set amount of money to town or directly to the deputies on a daily/weekly basis as well as a bonus each time they are defended.

I must say I love the idea, and would be much more willing to play a builder if that were the case. Who wants to be Mr Workaday if any Johnny Two-Guns can come hassle you and no one is going to help? I'm packing too!

DeletedUser

Sorry about the double post. Got up to do something during and I timed out. It said to try again, so I did. :)

DeletedUser

how about having the sheriff able to attack duelers that are in their town? and you could always have a wanted list that posts the criminals name in every sheriff's office