Guarding the town

DeletedUser

Sammie, pleaes refrain from highjacking this.

Also, you already get less xp from lesser opponents, thus the existing system somewhat encourages you to seek out and focus on tougher targests.

We did have something good worked out here, so it's highly unecessary of you to attempt to turn a perfectly good idea into a horrible roadblock.

DeletedUser

Where am I advocating an effective roadblock to dueling? I have merely pointed out that this proposal doesn't seem to be going far enough to allow reasonable protection of lower-ranked players by a higher-ranked player. I am not advocating a total ban on challenging outside your class or level, I am suggesting that it should be more difficult to do so, unless you are challenging above your level.

Yes, a town can have several players doing guard duty at the same time, but where a town only has one guardian available, it seems harsh to not allow him to run off undesirables due to level disparities.

As for your comment on the moral judgement, yes, it's a game. It's a game based on the West which implies good vs bad, cowboys vs indians, the law vs outlaw. Moral judgements are implicit in the genre; yes, you can have your game of 'Unforgiven', but most people when thinking of Westerns think of black hats vs white hats, and the white hats win in the end.

DeletedUser

Sammie , I can't say You're wrong . I can say , that by asking for a more comprehinsive adjustment to game play , Yolu are jeperdising the first step towards a more balances approach to "Dueling" . Unless You have specific complaints about this proposal , besides it is not enough . Please , allow Us to move forward .

DeletedUser1105

You make good points Sammie, but they are not going to overhaul the duelling system just because we say so. Nor are you going to get that into a proposal that the duellers can agree to, so it probably wouldn't even pass the vote.

With this idea, we have found a way to lessen some of the very problems you and many others have with duelling. Not only that, and more importantly, we have managed to do it in a way that non-duellers, soldiers and duellers can all agree on.

If you have read any of the other duelling threads, you'll know that is some going!

Let's keep it agreeable and just discuss the issues of the actualy mechanics and such. If you feel so strongly, you can always vote no when the time comes.

DeletedUser

SO. lets rewind. where were we at? ah yes. i believe the level of difficulty needs to be based on the level of the town, and that bigger towns need higher level soldiers to protect it. the rest of it i agree with. now, what about the one thing sammie said may be a good idea, about giving the dueller the option to try and duel at the town? not giving any idea about the character, but maybe when he gets to the town give him a message saying "this town seems to have guards walking the streets, do you want to continue?" or something.

DeletedUser

I haven't read through all nine pages, so bear with me if this is already said.

The problem I see is that if labour points determine the chance to gaurd, then I would think low level soldiers would still be out of a job. The solution I can think of is to have different options of labour points. If you look at the labour points needed to build for workers, different buildings have different labour points.

A couple of sugjestions:
1. Give the soldier class a bonus to labour points on gaurding the town, much like workers, and allow other classes to gaurd the town also.
2. Have the gaurd salaries come out of the town treasury, but keep it a low ammount of money.
3. Make different labour point requirment options, such as choosing a 100 labour point gaurd job that gives 5% more tactics skill, a 200 one for 10% more tactics, a 300 one for 15% more tactics, etc.
(just a sugjestion, not set in stone that it has to be tactics...)

DeletedUser

The basic guard salary should not come out of the town treasury. Reason: the small towns that need this implementation the most will be the ones with no money to spare; quite often the town treasury is largely empty. If the town has a guard, and the treasury is empty, the job won't be available.

DeletedUser

I think the larger town issue is self resolving . A larger town has a larger population , there by attracting more "duelers" ."Guards" can only intercept one at a time . The suggestions / rules about combined attacks already covers this . Right ?

DeletedUser

I think those points already have been covered, as Oakley Jones said.

Sammie points out the flaw in having the pay go out of the town treasury.

Further, our current suggested formula will not work with diffrent difficulties.

Also, none seem to see any way to abuse it, so that must mean we are onto something solid :)

DeletedUser

No new posts, so I ask, are we agreed, have we looked at it enough?

Do we want this to go furhter to vote?

DeletedUser1105

Any chance a mod could cast their eye over it and let us know if we have done enough?

DeletedUser

That's the only change I'd make to this proposal, introduce bonus xp for soldiers, but it is by no means a must.

DeletedUser

There isn't a job in the game that gives bonus xp to a class . I could easily see the argument that the job should have a higher luck rating . The "Guard" is strolling about town and sees a useful item in a rubbish heap . I don't see it being over 5% , but the case could be made for it to be higher . As to xp , having it at 0% was a compromise to keep "dueler" support . How ever I couldn't see this as a high xp job , so maybe 10 % tops . I doubt it would be well recieved . So 3% xp as a token ? This concept was failed so often , I would hate to see such a realative minor point being a stumbling block to it moning forward this time .

DeletedUser

YEah, I think token xp, and token luck is what we are looking for, if anything.

It's not intended as a primary source of income in the xp, item, or cash department.

DeletedUser

workers get bonus xp for anything. i think the soldier could stand maybe a 10% reduction in the tactics bonus for a 10% xp bonus dont you think?

DeletedUser

Wow!

I just read through ten pages of discussion and I think you have debated this far more than enough. This whole thread should be locked and turned over to the developers.

By the way, the reason I read it was because I was looking to propose my own version of this idea so kudos to those that beat me to it.

DeletedUser

Hightower has promised to take a look at it, and I do agree, I think we've discussed this as far as needed, and we have also reached a sort of agreement (page 4 summaries).

Some streamlining and this is in my opinion ready for vote submission, if nothing else.