Freelance building

DeletedUser

I have a dream.

Freelance builder

Top notch builder available for 1-3 labour hours per day.
My rates are $120 per labour hour + $20 per 15 mins travelling (or part thereof).
My construction skill is currently XXX, my total labour points are XXX.
I will never build when under 90% motivation.
I am currently riding a pony.

The above would be displayed on my personal profile, and an advert would be placed in the relevant section of the forum.

Flaws i can see
1. Need to keep pace with the top level builders.
2. Travelling would be essential, meaning the best horse available must be mine.
3. The rates. Too high? Too low?
4. Although i claim not to build under 90% motivation, what is there to actually stop me (other than my word)
5. There is no upper limit between leaving a town and rejoining another one.
6. How do they pay me?

1 and 2 shouldn't be too much of a problem at the start of a new world. 3 can be tweaked until suitable. 4 is a matter of honour, integrity and trust (and knowing what construction points to roughly expect).

5 could be a problem. I've worked on rotation before and seen it exceed 16 hours. Can anyone enlighten me? Is it the same on all worlds?

6 is the real sticking point. Is the game specifically designed so we can't trade money/items directly with each other. If so, why?

Personally i'd find this style of play thoroughly enjoyable. The game won't be overrun with freelance builders because only the top players would acquire any work.

I'd keep levelling by working for XP during the day and nipping off to do my paid building tasks during the evening. The extra money would allow me to purchase more expensive items and boost my construction skill even further. The added boost would make my skills more appealing, and possibly allow me to raise my rates.

I've got plenty more to say on this subject, but would like to know answers to points 5 and 6 above first.

And remember, constructive criticism please. No pun intended.

DeletedUser

Who in their right mind would pay a builder twice the amount they would normally pay to just construct? This is just a useless dream and will go nowhere.

DeletedUser3717

Who in their right mind would pay a builder twice the amount they would normally pay to just construct? This is just a useless dream and will go nowhere.

Amen! That's so true why do that when we can simply recruit one in our towns for free?

DeletedUser

You know, i was going to put a Q and A section where i answered questions like that, but i didn't want to insult anyones intelligence.

To answer your question, because my construction skills are vastly superior to any of their towns members. Therefore my 2 hours labour would actually produce more labour points than 4 hours of their own labour. Now, do the math and come back with some constructive criticism, preferably regarding points 5 and 6.

DeletedUser

The odds of you being the ONLY worker in the world with "vastly superior" construction is somewhat unlikely. I'd rather recruit a worker with "vastly normal" construction than one with "vastly superior" construction for twice the amount.
If a town leader isn't smart enough to realize he needs to find a player with a decent construction in order to build his buildings he probably doesn't have the cash to hire you anyways.

DeletedUser

To answer your question, because my construction skills are vastly superior to any of their towns members. Therefore my 2 hours labour would actually produce more labour points than 4 hours of their own labour.

I highly doubt that. :)

Q.What is you in-game name?

DeletedUser3773

The only way i see this happening is if a town's workers are constantly being knocked out they might hire someone to come in and help for a while but i still doubt that since a good founder would just recruit some duelers/soliders

DeletedUser2708

Now, do the math and come back with some constructive criticism, preferably regarding points 5 and 6.

Well, he maybe could have worded it differently, but it's hard to give constructive criticism when the idea you're looking at just plain looks bad to you. Don't ask for feedback if you don't want to hear from people who might not think your idea is as great as you think it is....

DeletedUser

Well, he maybe could have worded it differently, but it's hard to give constructive criticism when the idea you're looking at just plain looks bad to you. Don't ask for feedback if you don't want to hear from people who might not think your idea is as great as you think it is....

Those people being everyone who is not you... ;)

DeletedUser

Don't ask for feedback if you don't want to hear from people who might not think your idea is as great as you think it is....

I thought i'd made it clear enough, but i was asking specifically for help with points 5 and 6. I'm quite capable of drumming up the work myself, but if i can't get paid for it there's little point.

Instead of trying to shoot me down in flames for suggesting something which seems ridiculous in most of your eyes, why don't you answer the actual questions i've posed and give me some real reasons why this won't work (such as getting paid). All i'm looking for is some clarification that there is no way to exchange money or items with other players (directly or indirectly). If that is indeed the case (which seems 99% likely), i'd like to know why and i'd request this thread to be moved over to the 'ideas' section. Mind you, there's still point 5 to contend with.

The odds of you being the ONLY worker in the world with "vastly superior" construction is somewhat unlikely. I'd rather recruit a worker with "vastly normal" construction than one with "vastly superior" construction for twice the amount.

That's completely your prerogative. I've got a over a thousand other towns to target (even in the early stages), and plenty more once the game has got going. I'm not suggesting i'll be the ONLY worker with vastly superior skills, i'm suggesting i'll be up amongst the best builders in the world and therefore get a lot of clicks on my profile page.

It's like leaflet dropping, if 1000 clicks gets me 1 customer then it's worth it. And i know from experience how many clicks you get when you're at the top

Q.What is you in-game name?

World One
#1 - Abandon Hope(rank 1) First town to 42800 points
#2 - Abandon Faith
#3 - *Comeing Soon*
*message me in-game for a spot*

World Five
pending...Forest Creek(rank 1)

How is that relevant? Will you give me special attention if i'm in the top 10?

I'm kieyeo (rank 1) of Forest Creek (rank 1).

DeletedUser2708

It's like leaflet dropping, if 1000 clicks gets me 1 customer then it's worth it. And i know from experience how many clicks you get when you're at the top

It's also why we have to have spam filters on our computers -- fortunately, that's not a problem back in the nineteenth century! :D

DeletedUser

The "payment" a builder receives from working on their towns buildings is the recognition in the "residents" page of the "town hall" that they have done the MOST hours of construction, and also they get to use ALL the funds in the town treasury as opposed to their own funds. So in a way the town treasury is their payment.

DeletedUser

his idea is SOLID.. there are smaller town that would LOVE to have a "builder for hire"

Just a couple perfect examples for it.. My builder got banned on w3 for doing stupid stuff.. I need a builder..

I'm the mayor of an expansion town on W1 the empires main builders are busy elsewhere but I really want my hotel 5 finished............

Builders for hire.. it's a good idea.. not thought out enough but good

DeletedUser

rates could be lowered.
High level builder = more construction points per construction and thus, better building sooner.

DeletedUser1105

People DO hire builders. A town has already asked to hire the builders from my town. They would join our town and donate into the town treasury to pay it.

It would be too easy to abuse though, because you are basically asking for a way to give cash to other players, which is trading.

DeletedUser

Thankyou to whoever moved this into this forum, it seems to be receiving a slightly warmer response here.

A couple of immediate thoughts from the comments before i put forward an idea. sdjx22 and Redfyre - you both mention 'hiring' is already going on, and 'payment' is effectively made directly from one town to another. I wasn't aware of this (fairly new here), and find this interesting. However in this instance it's of no use to me as my reasons behind starting this thread are to be self sufficient i.e. have no ties to any one town. Therefore, i still can't be paid!

Timewalker - thankyou, this proves the customers are there, and madkill - you're right, rates were plucked from my head and will certainly need tweaking. Supply and demand will more than likely dictate these prices if it ever gets put into effect.

It would be too easy to abuse though, because you are basically asking for a way to give cash to other players, which is trading.

Am i missing the obvious here? Why can't we trade?

Anyway, moving on to my idea. In short the only thing stopping me from doing this is that i can't be paid (as a person, not a town). To resolve that, i propose this -

An extra feature is added to the 'Bank' screen in every town. Anyone can enter any town, and use that towns bank to make payment directly to any other player. They cannot deposit any money into their personal (home town) bank, and they cannot deposit money into their home towns treasury.

That's the basics, extras could be added, such as
1. An accompanying note sent with the money, received as a report in your inbox (e.g. payment for todays 2 hours labour)
2. A possible time lapse between the money leaving your account and arriving in the recipients account. Dependent maybe on distance, amount of transactions or some other factors.

The main flaw i can see - although you can't deposit money directly into your home towns treasury, you could make payment to a fellow town member who is in town, and he can deposit it directly into the treasury.

Way around this - All money received directly from another player must be put to private use. In short, you can only purchase items or make payments to other players with it. This will stop people from using it as a quick method to get money back to their home town for the towns benefit.
This money would be automatically spent above your own hard earned money as a preference. Displayed something like

Cash - $356 total ($120 items/hiring)
Bank - $350

On a side note, i've been aiming this mainly at the builders. However it would work equally well for the wannabe self sufficient duellers (mercenaries) out there.

There's almost certainly something wrong here, else i would imagine this would have been implemented by the game developers from the start. Trouble is, i can't see it :eek:

DeletedUser1105

The reason we don't have trading is that it is too open to abuse. People could use multi-accounting to pump cash to one account, allowing that account to buy every item on the game and storm up the rankings unfairly.

Again, your addition to the bank would allow this happen.

DeletedUser

I see your point entirely, but other games do allow trading and reinforce this by giving warnings about not being allowed (possible account termination) to trade if you are sharing an internet connection.

From what i've been reading it seems the people who code The West don't actually have the ability to code trading into the game. I would have thought trading money (as opposed to items) was a different ball park.

But i'm not a coder so really have no clue!