Train Stations

Do you think its a good idea to have a train station

• Total voters

DeletedUser

If this idea was to be taken up then it ought to be possible to destroy the train line. For example by 'working' on a specific area of it damage would be done until the damage reached 100%. then the line would be taken down a level. Towns should definately get a significant financial benefit if they build a track. i would suggest that they are able to set the ticket price and receive 100% of it. might make some interesting plot lines.

DeletedUser

yea that would be good
you could also have + energy during the trip you make
like hotels better seats would give more energy[/quote]

i agree it would work if you made it as one of the buildings in your town (train station).
:coolg:WOOT WOOT

DeletedUser

Train station is a good job for works and develop the town for making several towns become a country .

DeletedUser1105

This is now actually on the list of 'already suggested' ideas, so it will be locked soon enough.

DeletedUser

Do you mean that there is another post discussing it?
Just because something has already been suggested doesn't mean we can't continue discussing it. perhaps someone has a new take on the subject.

DeletedUser1105

It does, if you look at the sticky that Gem has put on the top of the forum.

It's a list of all items already been suggested, and says that threads will be locked without explanation if they are mentioned.

DeletedUser

This is now actually on the list of 'already suggested' ideas, so it will be locked soon enough.

Then message a mod, don't post on it. If this gets locked would probably be restarted anyway by someone. If the gameteam is smart they'll instruct the mods not to take actions like that as its blocking out free ideas and community feedback.

I like the idea about having consented lines being built from town to town to speed up travel. I guess if implemented, the tracks would be preset routes from town to town, would have to be balanced, or would have to keep in mind that towns on the main routes would have an economic and strategic advantage, and be fought over. But you could say the same thing right now about the towns with the best jobs nearby for certain levels.

To those saying that speed isn't a necessity once you have horses, and to handle the other criticisms;
This could be worked around anyway -

• Lines could be few and fairly distributed... It would work out more economical to travel direct on the fastest horse relatively, as train tickets would be more expensive than horse travel payoff.
  • If lines weren't too aplenty, there would actually be benefits to not being on the main route for certain types of towns, i.e. not being as easily reached by preying duellers.
  • Friends that registered at different times at different ends of the map, would be able to meet somewhere much faster than by travelling direct, which is fair as the travel time holds back their advancement in the game.
  • When it comes to war, getting to the enemies town fast enough and in a coordinated effort would be much easier on timed train journeys.
  • The Wild West had trains, people sat on them, and they moved,, why not implement it as a gameplay feature.
  • This game is beta, it will change over the course of development. Stop holding back ideas with unfounded criticism, simply because you, 'like it how it is.' If you want to play a game that won't change, go get a closed game or an offline one.
But anyway, the reason this same topic has been suggested multiple times is because its a good idea, show the OP some respect.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1105

Then message a mod, don't post on it. If this gets locked would probably be restarted anyway by someone. If the gameteam is smart they'll instruct the mods not to take actions like that as its blocking out free ideas and community feedback.
But anyway, the reason this same topic has been suggested multiple times is because its a good idea, show the OP some respect.

I was just mentioning it, so people don't waste their time writing lengthy posts to a thread that is most likely going to be locked.

If it gets restarted, it will get locked because it is on the list.

It may be a good idea. The idea of the list is not to stop BAD ideas, but to stop the SAME idea being mentione dover and over again.

It is not blocking free ideas or community feedback. We have given our feedback, on the many threads about train stations. The developers will have seen the train station ideas, so they have seen the feedback. If they are going to implement it they will, if they aren't they won't, and another 30 threads about trains and trainstations won't change that.

Gem said:
This is the list of things NOT to suggest. If you post one of these your thread may be locked without any description from a mod as to why. This is to prevent everyone seeing the same threads over and over. This does not mean these are not good ideas, they have just been suggested already.
Trains / Train Stations

DeletedUser

It's just that sometimes an idea gets run out but needs reairing. I'm not that mad on the idea but if people want to discuss it then why not? It's only duplication if there are active threads. if they died out and are on page 14 then why not reopen, especially in the light of greater experience?

DeletedUser

Are you like policing for a mod position?

It's just that sometimes an idea gets run out but needs reairing. I'm not that mad on the idea but if people want to discuss it then why not? It's only duplication if there are active threads. if they died out and are on page 14 then why not reopen, especially in the light of greater experience?

I agree - just a because an idea has been discussed doesn't mean it's the end-all be all of that discussion... Now I do agree that having 5 threads of the same topic actively running is a bad idea and clutters up the forum.

What would be the point of using the 'search' feature and digging up a buried topic that hasn't been discussed for a while if some one is just going to shoot it down?

The sticky-list doesn't say "Do not talk about buried topics" it just says not to start new threads of the same topic. Therefore it actually encourages players to use their minds and search for discussions....

:p

Back on topic:
I like the suggestion made a few pages ago about the train influencing the General Store and it's items offered...

I also think that your town would have to have a TownHall at lvl3 before the Station is unlocked.

As it stands it only takes about 10 hrs to walk with a donkey across the entire map... So if the Train was to be implemented it would have to add like 500% travel time time (allowing you to traverse the map in 1-2 hrs...)

Also building tracks would have to be done at 'transition points' (like where the job is located) but it would act like a town construction but with multiple players from all different towns working on the completion....
Say you que up the job and it would ask you which direction to build: NW, SE, etc... So having a Station in your town would take an incredible amount of time and money to build: not only would the Town Hall lvl3 and the Station, but you'd actually have to build the tracks too!

So let's say it's all done!
You've got the station.
You've got a track laid.
Would the map now be criss-crossed with tack-lines?
Would you be able to 'hop' the train hobo-style and ride for free (at the risk of falling and breaking your neck)

No, I think that transportation would require a ticket and that trains would run on an internal server time... So if your character is not at the station at the precise time, you miss the train! No refunds, No Returns!;)

Also having tracks and trains should open new jobs / quests regarding the robbing or gaurding of the train-convoy...

DeletedUser

I like this idea. but it'd need ta be costly an' have rest advantages. time, rest a' manbe some other advantage . I'm notyet to familiar with the over all expansion plan here, but I'm a forum admin at another western type sight an' undertand the difficulties y'all face with figurein' out whats best an' gittin' it implemented.

DeletedUser

Instead make it you can make train tracks between towns owned by different players :) and both parties pay half the cost each. It lowers travel time between the two area's and is visible on the map. And make it upgradable...
Should also cost NO energy

Level 1: Handcart (the pushie thinggie) Slightly faster then walking
Level 2: Horse Drawn Cart (no not a train, yet) Half the time
Level 3: Locomotive (Train) Extremely fast

JOKE:
Level 4: Bullet Train (Japanese Engineering) Instant. :p

DeletedUser

I've got a horrible feeling that if the devs of this game [god bless em!] are too busy to ever give any feedback, then the chance of them coding little choo choo trains for us is next to nothing. Sorry to be the monkey-like voice of doom but perhaps we need to confine our amendment suggestion to things that seem pretty easy. eg use the spare building as a station.

DeletedUser

Instead make it you can make train tracks between towns owned by different players :) and both parties pay half the cost each. It lowers travel time between the two area's and is visible on the map. And make it upgradable...
Should also cost NO energy

Level 1: Handcart (the pushie thinggie) Slightly faster then walking
Level 2: Horse Drawn Cart (no not a train, yet) Half the time
Level 3: Locomotive (Train) Extremely fast

Should also cost NO energy WHAT? Have you ever tried lifting one of those iron rails? How about hammering down those spikes and clamps to keep the rails in place? What about moving those tar-soaked wooden ties?
it's hard work pal! I think it should be an atronomical amount of energy (like 90)

as for upgrading.... lets take it one step at a time...

The easiest implementation would be for a simple additional building called Train Station that get unlocked and ready to be built when you have a set of conditions met -- Like Residence lvl2 and TownHall lvl3. For simplicity lets say that all it really does is add a few shelf spaces to your shops...

But I agree with Ulthor. the design concept of implementing growing tracks would require a huge amount of program re-writing and would probably have to hosted on a seperate server just to keep it running. I mean can you imagine the program codes this game would have to log just to track a global upgrade like laying visible tracks?

DeletedUser1105

rick, I think his point was that he is going onto every thread and just saying 'I think it's a good idea', and not adding any thoughts.

DeletedUser

what? where? When? Why? How?
anymore thoughts in your head, ohara?
Or do you just like to agree with whatever?
:p

ohara was just agreeing, you dont have to be such a jerk

I wasn't being a jerk.

rick, I think his point was that he is going onto every thread and just saying 'I think it's a good idea', and not adding any thoughts.

That's excactly what i meant. If I wanted to be a jerk i would've said something like: Can't you find anything of value to implement or is your brain capacity too limited to formulate a decent vocabulary? What did one too many birds fly up your jacket when hunting for feathers? Where else would you've pulled that out of? Try thinking of something original rather just just blindly agreeing on whatever - Yo're not even clear on what you're agreeing with....

But I didn't.
Good thing I'm not a flamer;)

Now please go back to laying those tar-soaked railroad ties and please avoid those splinters (they can lead to infection y'know)