Town founding quest.....for discussion...

DeletedUser

Just one question, does the decision point means that they will not be able to build a town later in the game? If so, then no.

DeletedUser

The decision point means that they won't be able to found a completely new town using the found town spots because they won't be able to see them. They will be able to take over a ghost town should there be one available, but they won't have the extra 2 points in construction and the $200 discount on founding a town.

There is also no reason why they cannot become the founder of a town should the original founder give them the position. The whole point of this idea is to limit the number of one-horse towns in the game, especially earlier in the game.

You get offered this quest at level 10, but only if you're not in a town. Come to think of it, there may be a case to give the quest at level 15 instead; at level 10 you are less likely to be in a town; whereas at level 15 you are more likely to be in a town! If you join a town during the quest prior to reaching the decision point, I think the quest should halt once you've finished your current task, and only resume if you leave the town. If you join a town as a result of making the decision, the quest ends - you don't get the option of continuing. If you join a town after task 3, then Henry's task disappears; you'll only see Maya's task.

If you join a town prior to being offered the quest, you won't see it until you leave the town and go into the quest menu while not being in a town.

DeletedUser

Whilst I can't say that i fully follow all your reasoning I'm convinced that you have fully thought this thing through and that it is a good idea.

DeletedUser

havn't had a lot of free time.. but I have most of the idea coppied offline to play with when I can

DeletedUser

I'll necro this, since I like the gist of the idea, but will also add that putting town founding out of reach until level 15 means a long time for everyone to huddle at the starter towns when a world starts -- and that ain't pretty.

I also am not sure I like the specifics of the quest line as laid out. I do like the story aspect, and being forced to make a choice is fine per se (and I agree with getting the noobs used to the choice angle of quest lines earlier on instead of tripping them up with the current first one in the middle of the game -- especially given the eventual implications of that choice), but trying to control who can and can't found a town doesn't quite seem right. I'd like to see more persuasion and less attempt at micromanaging our choices.

DeletedUser

I will say that level 15 is probably the average level for a noob to complete it; someone who knows what they're doing with skill points and has some reasonable luck may well complete the quest earlier.

DeletedUser

I'm opposed to any level limit on it. A good founder can be any level, particularly when new worlds keep emerging, being populated by veteran players.

DeletedUser

Well, I suggested that the quest be given at Level 10, possibly after players have done the other quest I suggested - 'Choosing a character'. Alternatively, the quest could be given when the player chooses a character - so if the player remains a greenhorn until level 20, he/she won't be given the quest until then.

[Shrugs] I'm not the OP - he was planning to rewrite things, but never came back to the thread. I think his idea was more of a co-operative effort for a group of friends; but as we've not got co-operative jobs/quests in the game yet...

The questline I threw out was an attempt to produce something that would work within the parameters of the game as it stands and that had (some) internal consistency.

DeletedUser

Thanks for the compliment! It's always seemed to me that some of the quests are a bit dodgy in the internal consistency bit...

DeletedUser

Whaddya expect from a bunch of guys in Europe? I wonder if they've ever even seen a revolver. :p