Town founding quest.....for discussion...

DeletedUser

I'm working on this idea currently and have a little bit worked out...

This will be a quest line opened up @ level 8 or 10 for everyone the end result will be a small reward and the ability to see the found town icon. With this quest line I also suggest raising the cost to found the town to 500$

This is a work in progress I really need ideas for the quest line to convey to the people thinking of founding a town just how much money and time they have to invest!

DeletedUser

The gathering (quest line for founding town)
Howdy pardner I see all the wagons outside are you a member of the wagon train,
heading out to that new land grant? Yep thought so. I've heard that founding a town
takes a LOT of people to make a go of it! I see you have a good group of people out there

Bring maya some ham

requires ham 1/1

Reward 20 exp

The gathering (grain)
I see you made it back. I know it takes a lot of effort to construct buildings, and the
builders get really hungry while they spend countless hours constructing the town and
improving it. I've heard it takes a lot of money to construct buildings, but that is all
I know I'm just a waitress after all!

bring maya some grain

requires grain 2/2
reward 20$

The gathering (shoes)
Hey friend I hope that your not ill prepared to run a town I hope that you have some real
comfortable shoes to work in, it takes a lot of hour to build town buildings, but I've heard
that if you increase your construction points everything goes easier

Requires brown ragged shoes 1/1

reward +1 construction

needs 2-3 more steps for sure

The gathering (shovel)
The unexplored teritories are a very dangerous place for the uninitiated There are many dangers for the workers of your town from bandits to indians to their ex-wives bring me a shovel (sorry just can't think about this one)

Requires shovel 1/1
reward $40

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

well i dont know about what to give for a reward but there should be quests requiring a Hammer and a Shovel

DeletedUser

hammer is midgame for most people but a shovel isn't too bad lemmie see what I can do with a shovel

my bad I was thinking about SLEDGE hammer not the hammer from repairing fences :/

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Well I don't have any ideas for the quest but I really like the idea of having one before founding a town is possible.

DeletedUser1105

Yeah, what Craz said.

I like your examples, but I would prefer it to be more specific about just how hard it is. For example where you have him saying "it takes a lot of hour to build town buildings" he could say - "It took NAME from TOWN about X number of hours just to build his BUILDING, and he has X construction points"

DeletedUser

This person clearly thought it would be one given quest i.e. one task for one person.

No, the idea would be to have numerous one after another, probably about 5.

DeletedUser

I was away most of yesterday.. any of you have some idea to use the hammer and the shovel?

DeletedUser

This person clearly thought it would be one given quest i.e. one task for one person.

No, the idea would be to have numerous one after another, probably about 5.
you didn't read the second message with some of the chain there?

DeletedUser

As far as the shovel how about somthing like . "every building needs a good foundation You'll need afew shovels to dig them with"

DeletedUser

Unless you are trying to prevent people from founding towns until they reach level 12-15, I think requiring a shovel in your chain makes the diffleculty too high. (without equipment, you need to be a level 9 single skill in leader/tactics at minimum to do "irrigate fields" with its 44 diffleculty, to get your shovel. Level 12 if you don't choose any yellow skills). The hammer is only 37 diffleculty, and has 2 double skills, so it much easier to achieve. Perhaps the Scythe, a 5% item off mowing fields instead? You already have your big slow down item- brown ragged shoes (pretty much have to be found, since someone else has to build a tailor shop before you can buy them)

DeletedUser

How about:

First task: Mow the field to clear the land (Sickle 1/1) +25 exp

Second task: Saw that wood - you're going to need a lot of lumber (Saw 1/1) +50 exp

Third task: Now you've got to knock in the nails (Hammer 1/1) +100 exp

Fourth task: Dig out the rocks and make the foundations (Shovel 1/1) +200 exp

Fifth task: If you help the farmers in their tasks, they'll help you build the town, but you've got to feed them while they're building (Sugar 1/1, corn 1/1, tomatoes 1/1, flour 1/1, tobacco 1/1) See found town icons & brown ragged shoes (or 3 skill points towards construction?)

Effectively, what you're doing is getting the tools needed to build the town and getting a workforce to help build. The experience reward is just a guideline.

DeletedUser

What worries me about this is that if you make founding a town an interesting challenge, then it becomes an attractive thing to do. It's like you aren't really playing the game fully if you haven't founded a town. Just put the founding price up.

DeletedUser

nah because you can do the quest but not found the town, it makes it more of a challenge aswell.

DeletedUser

Then instead of experience, make the rewards geared purely towards founding a town. So, for tasks 1-3, you get 1 skill point to construction. Task 4, $50 towards founding a town. Task 5, $150 towards founding a town and can now see the found town icons.

You also up the amount of money needed to found the town to say, $600 (so you'd need to complete the quest and have $400 in pocket). The other thing would be to limit this quest to people not in a town. There would be a reason for people to do the first 3 tasks, but not the last two unless they actually want to found a town.

I would suggest the quest is attached to Henry; and is available from level 10 to characters not in a town. Henry comes up with: "So, you're still wandering around, are you? You need to either join a town or found one - but it takes a lot of hard work and money to found a successful town. First of all, you've got to select your site and clear it..."