Evasion / Detection

DeletedUser

I believe the way a duel is sought out could be changed. As far as I understand it, all someone needs to do to duel you is have a link to your character, click it and your current position comes up on screen for you to find them. They are then able to duel you, unless you are sleeping in a hotel. (please correct me if this is wrong).

My idea would be to give another use for char skills by not making it so easy to find an opponent to duel - by introducing an evasion and detection system. Rough draft would go something like this:

Defender - Evasion skill:

(2 x Hiding) + Dodge + Riding + Tactics

Attacker - Detection skill:

(2 x Stamina) + Riding + Set Traps + Tactics

(Subject to balancing / tweaking of course).

With these skills, success can be worked out two possible ways.

a/ Straight comparison: If attacker has higher score, he finds and duels the defender. If not, he does not find him for that day (if this is too long, try a smaller timeframe like 4 or 6 hours before trying again).

b/ Modifier of base chance: Choose a base % of success (example: 50%). Work out the difference between the two skills. For every +/- 2 points, there is a +/- 1% modifier to the base % (rounded down).

This would only work on players who are not at their home towns. You will always be able to find someone at their home town and duel them accordingly (except when sleeping of course).

NOTE: This system is for use when searching for a particular opponent, not as a modifier in the duel itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

why is everyone so against dueling? almost everything I read is to try and make it harder for duelers. sure they can be annoying but its part of the game.

DeletedUser

This is not so much against duellers, as it is trying to make it more realisitc (at least that was my intention). I mean, looking up a player and instantly finding him anywhere on the map seemed a little too simple a way of doing it. I'm sure there are a bunch of options that could be put in place here to achieve the same effect. I was only trying to remove the "one stop shop" feel of selecting duels, make it so you actually had to do some searching to find a specific opponent (and considering the vast size of the game world your target has to roam, that does not seem to be too out of the question to me).

I am aware that duelling is an integral part of this game that cannot be ignored, nor whittled down to little more than a token "bad guy" role with no menace or risk involved. That was not my intention when making the suggestion.

DeletedUser

This is not so much against duellers, as it is trying to make it more realisitc

I'm tired of people trying to make this game more realistic, it's a game and as such is an escape from real life, don't try to make this "real" if I wanted "real" I wouldn't be here playing in a make believe cowboy's outfit...

DeletedUser

AS i understand it, all your suggestion does is make it harder for duellers. There is not even a token attempt to put any balance in.
Your name has been noted as being one of the utterly biased people who tries to pretend they are not. Next!

DeletedUser

AS i understand it, all your suggestion does is make it harder for duellers. There is not even a token attempt to put any balance in.
Your name has been noted as being one of the utterly biased people who tries to pretend they are not. Next!
damn you're so hard on that girl! she doesn't like being dueled, and no knight in shiny armor 2 protect her?

DeletedUser

Firm but fair.

If s/he had the honesty to came on here and say I am being bullied by these players and named names then I bet they would get a few visits. That's the way the game works, you should cooperate to solve your problems not try and stop other people's fun.

[anyway women find this kind of sternness strangely attractive dontchaknow;)]

DeletedUser

My name is noted as being biased? Nice way to encourage input. I did not make this suggestion from any frustration towards bullying - I have my share of combatants and have accepted this as part of the game from the start. The suggestion (I did not think it would be an instant game addition! Did you?!) should be what's commented on, not the person who made it. Fear not, such contempt for any liberating thought (however warped it may seem to some) or for those who dare utter it will ensure I keep my own counsel from now on. Enjoy your forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

There have been many posts along these lines. I used to try reason but it never worked previously. If you are capable of engaging with an alternative point of view then you are the exception and have my apologies.
I've pointed it out many times before but here goes.....if duellers are so favoured how come there are so few on the top page? if you are capable of digesting that fact then there is something to talk about, otherwise good riddance.

DeletedUser

I am only concerned with discussions becoming attacks upon those doing the talking, as this discourages people from wanting to have an input in to the games' development. I now understand that you (and I expect some others) may be frustrated by these suggestions coming up a lot, and the need to rebuke them. I have just browsed the upper rankings and now understand that duelling is a hard road, and perhaps a slow one to boot. Let us continue to play as we do, and let the weighty decisions of game enhancement and development fall to the only ones who can actually do anything to change it.

DeletedUser

This would probably deter everybody from becoming a dueler, I mean who wants to sit on here for hours looking up for a speciic person to duel for 10 minutes? Duelers would effectively die out. Not a great idea, soz. Its a game, its meant to be fun not 100% realistic. :)

DeletedUser

all someone needs to do to duel you is .. your current position ..They are then able to duel you, unless you are sleeping in a hotel. (please correct me if this is wrong)
Actually they merely have to go to You home town and enter the Saloon , and pick You name off a list . As You can see this is a "raw nerve" issue , and any foray into altering the current system must be carefully worded and balanced . I really like You concept , unfortunately it is not based off the current facts of the game . You would have to change the entire "Dueling" system so that challenger and attacked are at the same point on the map . That will face extreme opposition .

DeletedUser

i like the idea up until the point of having to wait but i think i way to make it more fair is say you attack someone when they are going from a-b or something you catch them by suprise thus allowing you to get a few hits in before they can recover this makes it less biased against the dueller and the better the setting traps the more likely you are to succeding in this

but if you have good hiding etc and you see this coming you can evade the attack and now you have the advantage of the dueller not knowing where you are thus letting you get in the first few attacks

DeletedUser

Actually I like the idea that duels can only take place between players in the same location. If we can discuss this [already put forward] idea without also smuggling anti-duelling bombs into the discussion then you have my attention. if we can start from the premise of trying to keep the game reasonably balanced between the classes then we can all discuss ways to make the game more interesting.

But really all this 'i'm not against duelling but can you ban it because it is despicable murder' stuff is always going to get the contempt it deserves from me.

DeletedUser

ultor u seriously need to stop thinking evrryone is anti duelling let me put it this way to do work you need enough labour points to buid again enough labour points but with duelling you need nothing except to be close enough to that guys level so this just adds a little bit more difficulty to it than going town saloon pit your target duel :) hey i got lots of xp and money for that :)

im not saying its a bad thing i duel but its too easy imo compared o other jobs

DeletedUser

That is an assertion unsupported by the evidence. Look at the top ranked player on w1. he has been beaten in five out of six duels, It obviously didn't hold him back very much. He's ranked over 1000th best dueller yet he's top of the chart. So stop with the unsupported assertions and look at the reality.
Maybe you aren't anti-duelling but you really need to stop buying the line that duellers have it easy. it is oft repeated but true it ain't.

DeletedUser1105

master warrior, duellers have to spend skill points just as workers do. If they want to win duels, then they have to spend them on duel skills, just as a builder puts them into construction.