Limited resources

DeletedUser

1The highest level job should be at only one place on the map, the second highest should be at only two places. The lowest [shining shoes] should be very common.
2Only one person at a time should be able to work on a given job. if you click to work on a job with two people in front of you, then you should have to wait until they are finished to do the job.
3Resources should be clustered in certain regions. For example there should be a big concentration of silver mines in one area, let's say 20 with another 5 in another area and the odd one scattered in a 5 other places.
4There should be more quests requiring multiple items.

I know that most people's initial reaction to this will be 'I hate it, it makes the game harder' but please think it through. It would make the game immensely more strategic.

DeletedUser

1) i like it
2) ABSOLUTELY NOT
3) SOME resources should be clustered in SEVERAL parts of the map. i dont think that everyone should have to travel 12 hours to mine silver
4) more quests in general sounds good.

DeletedUser

Somehow, I cannot help but feel every one of the suggestions made today and yesterday were all based off of Runescape.... Ugh. Anyway.

2 is the only one I disagree with. There are easily thousands of players who could be doing that job. 1 is.... Well, while I do not like the idea of traveling days across the map for a single job, hope that it does not lag and destroy the server when there are 10,000 players in a single spot doing the job at the same time - especially coupled with 2, makes it so they're all waiting to do it.

3. More traveling, but it feels right. I agree with this on the condition that these clusters are immensely re-created with lush graphics that make you want to stare at the screen for hours until your eyes melt.

4. As stated already, more quests, however they are to be completed, are always welcome - as long as they aren't stupidly put together.

DeletedUser

1. You saw what just moving the jobs around did to people so having it on one or two places on the map is insane, don't forget it's a big map so I don't think that would be fair.
2. Really really against it, it would make jobs taking a lot more time then now, 2 hours is enough, no need to extend the wait time.
3. I agree but it would take a Sirius change and will make a lot of people mad looking at the reaction the last update caused...
4. Quests and a lot of them, I agree :)

DeletedUser

1. No . If this is per section as opposed to the whole map , I could be persuaded .
2. No . I feel it would slow the game down far to much .
3. Excellent !
4. Sure , why not .

DeletedUser

1. See what you're getting at, but "no way" on the scale of the whole map. Per section, possibly workable.
2. No way. Nope. Not at all. :mad:
3. Yes, but again on the scale of the sections, not the whole map.
4. Yes.

DeletedUser

That's the reaction i expected:)

Well I'm sorry to inform you that you are all wrong and this would make the game a LOT more interesting. The fact that you don't realise it is due to conservatism on your parts.
Try looking at it again from the point of view of a game you have never played before.

It seems that point 2 is the most contentious on the grounds of slowing the game down. What is so great about rushing to complete all the levels of this boring game as fast as possible? Is it to get the misery over as quickly as possible? That is not very satisfying surely? Sure there could be some rebalancing to speed it back up, but that isn't the point. The point is to make the journey as interesting and challenging as possible, not as quick as possible.

If just picking oranges actually required strategy, decision, thought and cooperation [as it would often do under this proposal] then surely that is a good thing?

And as for realism.....well it's certainly more realistic. Obviously realism should never take precedence over entertainment.

Don't regard this as an annoying amendment to the game you are trying to play but rather how the game should have been from the start.

DeletedUser

That's the reaction i expected:)

Well I'm sorry to inform you that you are all wrong.

That's all I've read from your response, this is our opinion there is no wrong or right and the fact you think just because you think it's right makes it right pisses me off so that's all I'm gonna read of it.

DeletedUser1105

Ulthor, it is you who is wrong :)

You have some really good ideas there, but it needs a little more thought, as has been mentioned already.

1) Yes, by all means lower the amount of high level job spots, but as mentioned make this per region and not per map.

2) Again, by all means restrict the use of these, but 1 per spot is ridiculous when you consider the sheer number of players on the game. A more reasonable number of players allowed to work one spot, whereby you are likely to have to wait but not likely to have to wait a whole day, would be better. The developers would have to look at the stats of jobs to figure out how many that would be.

3) Again, a good idea. Odd jobs scattered around, but with the main bulk being in one area sounds good.

4) Definately, definately, definately. More quests, more different items needed, more numbers of those items needed. A+ idea.

DeletedUser

The whole idea is that the further up the job is the more competition there is for it.

We have to come up with some way to stop this game crashing into the brick wall of maxed out towns and maxed out players. then repeat ad nauseum with sister towns. boring!

This pyramidical structure prevents that by making 'end of level boss' type jobs increasingly staggering impossible. Of course they aren't absolutely impossible because someone will be doing them all the time.
However competition to do them will be fierce. To succeed will involve cooperation, planning,thought, research, subterfuge etc, all the things that make mmogs worthwhile.

I could list loads of examples of how this would improve the game but you will realise them yourself if you imagine it in practice.

The alternative to which we are heading is that towns compete to build the highest tower. Try and get away from thinking, 'this stops me getting that new hat i wanted' and look at it with open eyes.

DeletedUser1105

Deduct:
Ulthor said:
To succeed will involve cooperation, planning,thought, research, subterfuge etc, all the things that make mmogs worthwhile.

Add:
Evil Monkey said:
To succeed will involve queuing up a job that thousands of others already have queued (possibly queued 4 times as well), then being able to do nothing for three weeks until it is your turn to do the job. Only to find that you don't get the product you need at the end of it and need to join the back of the queue, which by this point has grown as more players reach the level needed to work the job.

We all agree that some sort of rarity would indeed improve the game, but I think you are making it too rare. I fear this would turn people away from the game rather than encourage them to stay.

A slightly toned down version of your idea would be a better middle ground.

DeletedUser

I'm only making the very top end impossibly rare so that things will find a natural level beneath that. you and I cannot really calculate exactly how rare a rare job should be so we make a sliding scale and let natural selection sort it out.

DeletedUser1105

But where is the fun when you get to that top end? Not being able to do anything but wait your turn for a job (a potentially long wait), then it's not much fun.

If there could be a little more flexibility, subject to number crunching from the developers, whereby a general 'maxmimum wait' time could be established (not as a rule, but as a general guide), and then the number of spots available corresponds with that, then I'd be happy.

I'm all for having to wait to do a job, I'm just not prepared to wait a week for it!

DeletedUser

I see option 1 unbalanced.

The towns closest to a scarce job would benefit the most. Those town members would have a better opportunity to rest or hit those jobs a different times. If we were all equidistant, I would agree. But we wouldn't be.

DeletedUser

ok you are all getting hung up on that one top job, which is not a significant part of the game. it's there pretty much to demonstrate the principle.

Certainly some towns would benefit more than others. But remember there must be around 50 significant jobs, so everybody will be in spitting distance of one or more of them. Just not everybody being near every job as it is now. Let's say the 20th best job [which is out of reach of almost everyone at the moment] I'd say there should be at least one of those in each continent.

If it were possible then I'd put the best jobs and clustered jobs furthest away from the largest towns.

This also gives a real kick to quests needing multiple items. Some will be more difficult to get than others and would involve a real adventure.

This whole idea that everyone is going to be queueing up for weeks at the same job is not going to happen. people will be pursuing different paths but there WILL be times when there is a significant queue at a job. You have to decide whether to take a different route, go to a different, more distant, place or 'send the boys round' or threaten to do so. You could also actually talk to the person doing the job.

This would force interaction and cooperation, it would generate both conflict and alliance.

DeletedUser

ok with number 2 a big no the game is already slow this would put me off it i mean do you think if im a farmer and i have a cotton field that i wouldonly let ONE person at a time work for me no

but with the clusters i think this would be good for realsim as long as there are those same jobs but scattered as it would be annoying travvelling around and i think everyone in general would like more interwsting quests

DeletedUser

okay well i like the idea of lessening the amount of high level jobs but maybe just on a slightly lesser level.

I really like the idea of clustering certain jobs but i also support it being only on a region level.

And i like the idea of only a limited amount of people being able to do a job but more than one maybe make it different depending on the job

and seriously who doesn't want more quests and more involved quests

DeletedUser

heres the ringer ulthor. i understand your viewpoint on this, and i think your heart is in the right place, but i would try going with expanding possibilities instead of restricting access for strategy and fun. instead of limiting current resources and job availability, make things more interactive with how you choose to do your jobs. maybe have "job formulas" where doing jobs in certain sequences for certain periods of time increase your chance to find items or money or something. improve player interaction by creating more in depth duelling choices like the guard town and bank robbery ideas. like i said i like some of your ideas, but some of them would restrict the game to strangulation. this is the add age, people dont want to wait that long. i mean we arent playing Go, we are playing cowboys and indians!