Underpopulation or too many towns?

DeletedUser

OK a lot of people are saying the game is underpopulated so that towns dont have enough people... well look at this

In world one there are 24,853 people over level 10 (the recommended level to wait before joining a town) and some of those are inactive as well...

there are 7731 towns

this leaves just over 3 people per town :dry:

BUT I dont think the problem is that there arent enough people, but too many towns... those of you whining about being the only person in your town, you're the ones contributing to the problem. I think towns have been made too easy to obtain, NOT too hard to fill.

There are a few ways to fix this I think... but id like to hear about other suggestions as well.

I think we could make towns more expensive
Make places to "found" towns a bit more sparse

we could also make it harder to keep towns, possibly by a small tax or matenence costs in order to get rid of these one resident towns...

just a few ideas... what else could be done?

DeletedUser3741

agreed, and needed

Half the total amount of "found towns" options

DeletedUser

I honestly think that 300 dollars is pretty cheap for a town... 500 even sounds a bit too cheap... I mean if you should be concidering a town at lvl 10, it'd be bit more reasonable to be able to get one at level 15 or something...know what I mean?

DeletedUser3741

hmm that feels like it would take too long tho

most towns pop up at level 8ish

DeletedUser

Unsuccessful towns get abandoned. If you can pull together a decent amount of people who work together to keep the town growing while they advance their own goals the town thrives. all things being equal the population/town issue ends up solving itself in a very Darwinian way on its own. This is evident in the rapidly growing number of ghost towns in Worlds 1&2

DeletedUser

Well yeah, but it already takes forever to actually get 5 members anyway... taking a little hit on time might be worth it in the long run...

Personally, I kinda like the tax idea... I figure someone will find a problem with that, but it would weed out some of these villages...

DeletedUser

Unsuccessful towns get abandoned. If you can pull together a decent amount of people who work together to keep the town growing while they advance their own goals the town thrives. all things being equal the population/town issue ends up solving itself in a very Darwinian way on its own. This is evident in the rapidly growing number of ghost towns in Worlds 1&2

Read the stats above, those are from world one... It doesn't seem al that Darwinian to me...

DeletedUser

I think that people who are in a town with less than 3 people in worlds 1-3 should join a bigger town as they are never going to grow! either that or admin could delete all the small towns and refund them their money so that they can join another town!

not that it will happen!

DeletedUser1105

Some people LIKE being in a small town, some people are not in this game to be rank number 1 and rush to get everything maxed out, some people like to make the enjoyments of something stretch out, and some people like being in a small community of people working together.

I don't like the idea of less town spaces. I don't think people should be forced to be in a 50 man town if they don't want to.

I do agree that towns should be much more expensive, though, mainly because it's cheaper to found a town than to buy a donkey full price.

DeletedUser

agreed

yeah, I think there needs to be a way/motivation/reason for smaller towns to happily merge (leave) into a bigger town.

Our town has managed it a couple times just by messaging whole towns and suggesting they join us, which two have. but as i said there should be more of a way/reason/etc for them to want to do it (happily).

DeletedUser

Im not saying there cant be small towns, but its just that those towns that would like to break the average of 3 people should be able to, I dont think that it should be made easy to be selfish and make a town insted of joining someone else.

DeletedUser

Each world has about 11,500 town plots at present.

I think 2500 would be a better number for town plots, possibly even as low as 1250 combined with more regular inactive deletions (so more 1 member towns ghosted faster).

DeletedUser

They should tier the Residents building so the first rank lets you have 9 or 10 players and then the number would get smaller as the Residents building ranks higher.

This won't effect towns that do "shuffling" and would be good for the casual gamers to get more "together" in the beginning of a world.

The casual gamers would save alot of money that gets wasted in towns with no builder and yet people still doing building ... and the only towns that benefit from all the 2000 ghost towns are the high rank towns who get them for free when they start second towns.

DeletedUser

A Town needs to be more rewarding and require more effort to gain, not to be treated like some trophy wife.

DeletedUser

Like what have been said here, if people want to be in small towns it's their choice, you really can't force them to join a big town.

about the tax thing.. building a town and making it grow already costs enough. making people pay taxes in edition to that is not very fair.

About the low price it takes to found a town I agree, should cost more.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I think a person needs to gather up resources, along with 500 before being able to found a town.

5 Planks of Wood.
3 Grain
<finish list here>
etc.

Something like that, a list of resources and the 500 I think would be more suitable, means that Workers and Adventurers are a lot more desirable to be as they'll be the ones to collect the resources at lower levels etc.

---

Also, perhaps after 2 months an abonned town could change into less of a place where you could live and be some other thing that takes it's place, a founding slot is then lost but with a small gain of some sort, like a job or...something. :3

DeletedUser

Gathering resources is silly....... and there is nothing in the game to pay for things with anything but $'s unless you make it a quest that toggles the ability to see the town founding icons

But I do frankly think that there should be less towns by about half and the cost to found one should be equal to the approx amount of money that can be made by level 10. And that is actually 1000$ if you do cash jobs.. or about 800$ if you do a mixture

DeletedUser

Just delete inactive players after 14 days of inactivity and reopen all worlds for joining.... and try to get your friends into the game....:D I have two of my friends waiting to join w1, just waiting for it to be reopened

DeletedUser

Yes, I think so too. Let this be a practical lesson that symbolizes all walks of life: you have to be active and take initiative to improve your own situation for things to get better. Those who don't adjust quickly need to be hurt by being in an inefficient town, so that they will learn this lesson.

DeletedUser

Actually I think a quest to see the town founding plots is a brilliant idea.

Through the quest give new players a idea of what is needed to build a town, and only those willing to go through with the quest get to found a town.
Possibly with a + construction skill reward at the end.

Thus preventing everyone and their dog making a town at $300 and abandoning it when they find they cant build it up.

For example:
'founding secrets' from henry.
A caravan is leaving soon to found a new town, but they need supplies in order to help with construction.

Gather 10 planks of wood.
2 spades.
1 pair or brown/black ragged shoes.

Each stage explaining more about town management etc.