Guarding the town

DeletedUser

Skux , Thank You for You succinct appraisal of many's combined efforts for an improvement to the game we all enjoy .

DeletedUser

Several things before this can be brought to a vote;

1. With all the different views that have been presented I can't tell what the majority agrees with, and what they don't. I suggest taking what you want from this thread, and making a more refined suggestion, based on what is important to you.

2. The biggest flaw I see in this, is the continued belief that dueling has anything to do with towns. The game is designed around duels as a personal matter, its only familiarity with other games that has let to this belief that a duel is an attack on the town. Its not, its an attack on a single player, and has nothing to do with the town.

Regardless, I think the idea has value, and adds another dimension to the game.

DeletedUser

I think the idea of this is basically what a Town Sheriff would do, look after the town and it's residents, but the residents can aid the town Sheriff by being a form of constable.
Despite where a player is, if they're part of the town then the dueller must get through the current guard on duty, if there is more than one guard then the dueller has to only go against one, but has a high risk of being caught.

Soldier on Duty > More than one can go on Duty
Worker is doing a job > Dueller attempts to attack Worker > Soldier on Duty intercepts Dueller
> Duller wins, as well as gaining exp and money Dueller makes way to worker > Worker is then Duelled > If Dueller wins V
> If no other guards are on duty then the dueller escapes with goods
> If another guard is on Duty then Dueller must face him/her V

> If Soldier beats Duellist first/second time > depending on the receiving damage of Duellist and how many are on guard duty depends on the Dueller being arrested/retreating.

First and second Guards go through the same thing with the Dueller, However;
If the hiding skill is +30 above the first guard, the dueller can go straight to it's target.
If the 'Hiding' skill is +15 above the second guard, the dueller gets away without having to face second guard.

I think a town sheriff would work nicely into this by being the guard of the duellist for the time they're in the cells, despite if the Sheriff is online or not, but they need to know that they can be attacked at any moment if a players buddy comes along.

With defending it should be a resident only job(obviously), that you just set to work and you'll guard the town until you cancel it, however, while you're doing this you will not gain any energy in the mean time until you cancel the job.

If this is wrong then someone correct it.

DeletedUser

to retort to the idea that the current synopses wouldnt work with varying difficulties... OF COURSE IT WOULD! the basic premise is the same, for every labor point you have over the difficulty, you have a 1% chance of interception. its very simple really... you could have more than one person guarding a town, and i assume you could have more than one person working this job at the same time. bigger towns mean more space means higher difficulty means less chance of catching an errant crook. multiple people guarding would raise this chance like we've discussed, just like in real life. new york would have alot more crime if it didnt have 50k cops.

DeletedUser

Yep, anyone can but not all classes are not best suited for it. As you can guess.

DeletedUser

but didnt you just say you thought it should be a resident only job?

DeletedUser

but didnt you just say you thought it should be a resident only job?
resident of the town, why the hell would you guard a town you're not a resident of?

Mercenary is a whole other factor of guarding a town that you're not apart of.

DeletedUser

wandering soldiers, people in the area needing some cash, etc. i dont know why someone would, but i wouldnt stop them if they wanted to. maybe a town needs protection from a dueler and they want to hire a big tough soldier to defend them sometimes?

DeletedUser

its the same thing. guarding a town is guarding a town. there shouldnt be a restriction on who guards it.

DeletedUser1105

its the same thing. guarding a town is guarding a town. there shouldnt be a restriction on who guards it.

I agree with madkill. You are asking for more than this idea was about.

I think we should try and refine the guarding idea. If it gets implemented, adding a mercenary bit could be an idea to improve it, but I think we should take one step at a time.

I'll have a scan through this thread and see if I can come up with a summary of what we have agreed.

DeletedUser1105

Problem
Duellers can duel workers too easily, and there is no protection for the workers.

Proposed Idea
A new job, for town members, called 'Guard Town'. This would give a chance of whoever did the job (Although it would be geared towards the soldier class) intercepting the dueller to protect the intended victim.

HOW IT WOULD WORK

The Job
  • Any town member can queue up the 'Guard Town' job. He can do this for 10m, 30m, 1h or 2h, 4h, 6h or 8h.
  • It costs the player energy per hour to do this job as any other job.
  • It pays a token wage and XP, for example 5% Wage, 5% XP. It would have 0% Luck, and the danger would depend on who is visiting your town ;)
  • There are skills needed to for the job: Leadership, Aim, Dodging, Setting Traps, Tactics, or something like that. (THIS IS AN EXAMPLE, FINAL SKILLS NEEDED TO BE DECIDED BY THE DEVLOPERS). It has a difficulty level of 30. 1 labor point needed to work, as usual.

The Interception
  • The more labour points you have, the higher chance the guard has of intercepting a duel. Each labor point would equal a 1% chance of interception, with no limit on the percentage.
  • The skill 'Hiding' will reduce the chance of being intercepted. This is not a normal skill used in a duel, so if a dueller wishes to use it, he/she will be forced to forgoe spending those points on duel skills. Adds more strategy to the dueller's build. Each skill point in hiding would reduce the chance of interception by 5%.
  • DUELLER A comes to town, queues up a duel against WORKER A. The normal duelling procedure follows. If the duelling levels do not correspond with the limits alreayd imposed on the game, then the interception cannot take place and DUELLER A duels his intended target as normal. If the duelling levels of GUARD A and DUELLER A are acceptable, then in the background it works out (using GUARD A's percentage of interception after taking off DUELLER A's hiding deduction) if he get's intercepted. Then one of two things happen:
    1) DUELLER A is not intercepted. The intended duel with WORKER A goes ahead as normal. The normal motivation and energy cost is spent. OR:
    2) DUELLER A is intercepted. In effect the guard has instigated a duel with the dueller. This costs the guard the usual duel motivation and energy but does not cost the dueller any. He duels GUARD A. The duel happens instantly, the dueller does not have the option to cancel. Then one of two things happen again:
    2a) GUARD A wins the duel. The defeated DUELLER A is unable to attack either GUARD A or WORKER A within the next hour. He is free to attack other members as usual. It has only cost him nothing.
    2b) DUELLER A wins the duel. He gains the usual XP and any money (if the guard is silly enough to have some on him). He then duels WORKER A in the usual manner with a ten minute delay as normal. This duel costs him NO motivation and energy and is played as usual. He has the option to cancel this duel if s/he wishes

Other
[*]If there is more than one guard on patrol at the same time, the dueller can only be intercepted by one of them i.e. he doesn't have to run the gauntlet.
[*]The dueller does, however, have more chance of being caught. It would run the test to see if Guard A intercepts the dueller. If he does, the procedure above is ran. If he doesn't, it runs the test to see if Guard B intercepts and so on. This is fair, because there is a high chance of the guards being different duelling levels, so automatically have no chance of intercepting.
[*]In the event of a number of duellers visiting town at the same time (i.e. co-ordinated attacks, the dueller can only intercept one at a time. If he intercepts DUELLER A, and whilst the ten minutes duel is being played, DUELLERS B and C come to town, there is no protection unless there are more guards. That said, if DUELLER A gets past, DUELLER B may get intercepted instead.
[*]The guard is only limited to however many duels he has the energy and health points for.
[*]Guards can still be duelled in the normal way whilst working, as they are not sleeping. They cannot intercept during this duel.
[*]All current duelling rules/procedures are to stay as they are and take priority over this idea.

NOTE TO THE DEVELOPERS
This would need to be monitored, initially at least, to ensure that it was a fair way of it working. We are aiming for around a 50% interception rate on duels that take place on a town at the same time as that town having a guard in place. We do not know all of the figures for clothing items, because we don't wish for someone to be able to wear an item of cloting that eradicates either 1) soemone's chances of duelling who they want or 2) someone's chances of intercepting a dueller.

Ok, please post if I have got anything wrong here, but this is what I have took from the posts in this thread. I'll give it a day or so for people to dispute it, and then create a new thread for HT's attention.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

A very nice restating Monkey . The only point I saw that was not consistent with the previous discussions was the "Evasion" for the Hiding skill was to be at 5% per point .

DeletedUser

If we look at the original problem as you state it, then why should soldiers be additionally rewarded for being able to do what they are supposedly crying out to be able to do? So i disagree with any xp being available, they get plenty of xp if they win the battle.

Everything else is fantastic and i'll yield on this if anyone can explain to me why defenders should get this extra reward.

DeletedUser1105

For the very fact that there may not be a duel. If the likelyhood is that they will not get anything from it, then it would be a very unenjoyable way of playing the game.

I think taking it away would be unfair Ulthor, especially when we are only asking for 5%. It's like working the 'Picking Cotton' job. It's a token gesture, as in incentive.

Yes, people are crying out to do it, but it has to give SOMETHING.

If it was a high amount of XP, you would have a very valid point to make there, but for 5% is it really worth debating?

DeletedUser

The fact that there may not be a reward is the chance you take. It's not like duellers get 5% xp bonus for attacking town. If these valiant knights want to defend the honour of the maidens in their town why sully their good intentions with an unseemly xp bonus?

No it's not worth debating. Look at this from a duellers perspective. I've come a long way to try and address some of the concerns of non-duelling players, this only hurts duellers and they want a reward for it? They still have all their energy left to do as many jobs as they can when they aren't guarding the town and they an make just as much as before.

I'm sorry but this is an additional perk too far.

DeletedUser1105

They still have all their energy left to do as many jobs as they can when they aren't guarding the town and they an make just as much as before.

That's not true. I direct you to the second point under the title 'The Job' -

It costs the player energy per hour to do this job as any other job.

This is to keep it within the game mechanics. If it makes it easier for the developers, I'd be happy for it to be a 2 hour maximum and you have to queue them up as usual. Therefore every hour they guard the town is an hours work they cannot do elsewhere. Also, it also says that the intercepted duel also costs the guard the normal energy, so if he worked and duelled in an hour, it would cost him a lot of energy. That's not so much of a perk is it?