Rule change

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

You can use an external forum if you wish, no harm is done. It's the fact harassing anyone one this site could get the creators and owners of this site in trouble. Do it on an external forum, and it's out of their control so they wouldn't be able to get in trouble for it.

From http://teenadvice.about.com/od/schoolviolence/a/cyberbullying1_3.htm

For those who don't live in the US, cyber bullying laws are already put in place, and many other countries also have them.

But why go through all this exstra trouble?
And that states nowehere that the creators can get in trouble?

It will never be anything else, but a stupid rule, which will kill the game. Which is sad, since I think it's a good idea.

DeletedUser

Oh my...

I must say that I am sorely disapointed by the change of direction this has taken. As others have pointed out, it is futile claiming to have an English-based game when there are so many things within the game itself (including MODS) that show a distinct lack of knowledge of the English language.

In my opinion it shows a complete misunderstanding of the possibilities that creating an international game has, as well as showing a startling lack of judgement towards the wishes of parts of the (in lack of a more appropriate word) community. Bullying players into surrendering what little personality can be brought into an otherwise unintelligent game is not the best way to enhance the gameplay, nor attract new people into signing up.

I think it is is disgraceful that the makers of the game in this way live up to some of the - shall we say less flattering - steretypical attributes sometimes used to describe people of that particular nationality.

So what if a group of Italians write in italian, or a group of Germans write in german - who cares? If MODS find it necessary to supervise the internal debates of various towns because of a (far fetched) risk that someone might be insulted, well, then this game should not be played without adult supervision. Why not just kill all joy in one easy shot, do not allow players under the age of 21, or have them pass a maturity test before allowing them to sign up. That will give the desired control, control, control!!!

DeletedUser

I also find it interesting that Tribal Wars does not have this "new rule" when it has far more one country/language town/tribes then The West has ... sure they might be smaller tribes but there are plenty of them.

DeletedUser

In the many different games I have played on the net over the years I have never come across such a rule, be that browser or client game. Normally if people write offensively on a forum they will get punished or kicked. Most people do know how to behave on the net, the ones who doesn't ends up getting kicked or banned anyway. That also goes for a group of people who writes other languages than english, even though others can't understand what's going on.

For me being part of a danish town where we know each other from another place makes me feel i belong to something special. If I had stumbled across this game randomly and didn't knew anybody I wouldn't be playing it for more than a few hours. Writing in danish, dutch or chinese to each other within a group is making people feel like they belong to something special.

It's a great game. Please don't enforce this. It will only hurt players who doesn't know how to expess themselves in english.

DeletedUser

I've got to admit, that I think that it is rather unfortuneatly.
I myself only joined The West, because I knew that other people I know from another game online (www.heroes.dk) played this game - as a matter of fact there is a whole thread on Heroes that tries to pull more players into The West. My activity will for sure not be as high, if we are no longer allowed to write in Danish, not because I do not understand or write English well enough for it to be possible, but I already use English quite a lot, and like to sometimes just write in Danish.

Somebody talks about national games being started, well, that is just not good enough. The market for Danish games of this kind is way to small. 5 million citizens can not be playing 10000+ on every oneline text/forumbased game so I dont see this point as a valid fact. As far as I know, the other online games in Danish do not have more that 3-5k players, and less than 2k active players.

Hmm, 20 minutes to 2 in the night... Sorry if I doesnt make sense :)

DeletedUser

For god sakes people get over it! Tribal Wars has this rule, the Dutch version has this rule, the Swedish version has it, Russian Tribal wars has it, and I''m sure if I checked the rest, nearly all of them would have it.

It's a rule, it's a good rule, and it should stay.

DeletedUser

It is?

With the same stunning logic, I can reply:

Accept it, it is a rule, it sucks and should be removed.

Now try putting an actual argument together :eek:hmy:

DeletedUser

With the same stunning logic, I can reply:

Accept it, it is a rule, it sucks and should be removed.

Now try putting an actual argument together :eek:hmy:
It is. It's an English game, all players should be able to understand what your saying in your town profiles...

If an English player joins your town, and is unable to read your forums, they can't participate... And telling a player who speaks the language that this game is for, that he/she can't join because we don't speak English, won't work out to well.

DeletedUser

I am not willing to keep using google translate just to complete a ticket. It simply is not fair on the moderators in my opinion.

DeletedUser

It is. It's an English game, all players should be able to understand what your saying in your town profiles...

If an English player joins your town, and is unable to read your forums, they can't participate... And telling a player who speaks the language that this game is for, that he/she can't join because we don't speak English, won't work out to well.
So in that answer, all you have done is relating the new ruleset. Have you followed the thread and seen what people want?

DeletedUser

Easy answer

Then get moderaters that are able to understand the different languages. If you have planned multi-language versions already there must be one or two MODS available in a number of different languages.

Solution: Make an option available for towns where they state their preferred language.

DeletedUser

So in that answer, all you have done is relating the new ruleset. Have you followed the thread and seen what people want?

Yes, they want to be able to speak their language on the town forums. Or thats what I got from it all.

DeletedUser

I dont particularly like the idea of the forums being trawled for non-english communications unless its done by payed innogames employees.
Player moderators/administrators should not be given such access UNLESS it is part of a multi/cheating investigation.

I can see the point in having to know english to play and communicate with staff, but requiring english in private matters such as town forums is a bit over the line imo.

If they are cheating in some way they are likely to use other languages regardless anyway, which is why google translate is awesome.
Or having a couple of experienced international/multilingual moderators that handle multiple languages over multiple versions is bonus.

As long as they are willing to communicate in english when asked I dont see a problem, and the vast majority are quite willing to.
And this is speaking from experience running/administering a variety of private servers, so dont try telling me they wont ;P

DeletedUser

TW does have this rule.

Then it is certainly not enforced. There are plenty of one country/language tribes in Tribal wars.

I am not willing to keep using google translate just to complete a ticket. It simply is not fair on the moderators in my opinion.

Nobody is saying people should communicate to Mods in a language other then English.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Then it is certainly not enforced. There are plenty of one country/language tribes in Tribal wars.

I have no say in TW moderation.

Nobody is saying people should communicate to Mods in a language other then English.

I am saying when I am investigating a ticket and everything I see is in a foreign language I cannot do my job properly. This is an English game, there are other languages of the game. Dutch will open whenever the team is ready, or so I heard.

DeletedUser

I can understand the need for English for accurate communications, but why is if I send a ticket in English, my response is in German if Innogames is so concerned with convention?

DeletedUser

I am saying when I am investigating a ticket and everything I see is in a foreign language I cannot do my job properly.

Gem I stated very clearly the first time that when sending in support tickets that English should be expected, and the fact that you did not comprehend ... makes me go hmmm.

DeletedUser

Gem I stated very clearly the first time that when sending in support tickets that English should be expected, and the fact that you did not comprehend ... makes me go hmmm.

I don't think you're understanding what I am saying. When investigating a ticket I go into an account and verify some things. If all the forums and all the mails are in another language I cannot get a good idea about the player, which I must do to help complete the ticket.

This is why I agree to the rule change, this is what I've been trying to explain all along. If I have not explained this well I apologize, but if you read the above you might understand I hope.

DeletedUser

Gem - Thank you for a more complete answer and yes it does explain things a bit, BUT

All an English-only policy will do is force people to use external forums, and since in-game forums are pretty good they'll end up being wasted. Also I'd think your job will only become more difficult to do if whole towns stop using the mail/forums IMO. I won't go into detailed thoughts on this but I'm sure you can figure out where I'm going ...

If people get unwanted mail that is in a foreign language then tell them to put the person on block. If there are problems in a town forum then tell the person to discuss it with their Mayor who has the power to delete or boot.

Also how does Inno propose policing towns policies on one country/language ? That is a pretty grey area and with so many towns available to the average gamer why worry about the 20% or so of towns that only want people who are from one country/language ?

Status
Not open for further replies.