Is attacking someone and stealing their property evil?

DeletedUser

Sadly, as i was on the way to the bank a monkey threw a granite rock at me and stole $1 off me.

I took my shiny razor, and stole .25 off of the little monkey. :blink:

to the OP, I would like to see more things implemented in game, that would make it more of a challenge. But this is a game, not RL.

And TJHoenecke, if this game every goes to raping women and stabbing BABIES in the head, many folks will quit. That is just morally/mentally imbalanced.

DeletedUser

here's the problem I see with the role players viewpoint on game changes. Role playing is fantastic. I love it. I respect everyone who uses their imagination to expand their characters with history and personality. I'm all for self imposed restrictions placed upon your character for one to reason or another. BUT. But, when looking at the game in development perspectives one must see the systems in place for strategic advancement and make sure they are balanced. You have to view it as a strategy game because viewing it as a role playing game will cause ideas to be implemented that will actually cause a hindrance to peoples ability to roleplay! The beauty of RPGs is that it's totally free form gaming. Whatever you can think of you can be and when you place systems and restrictions on the game based on roleplaying you risk stopping someone from being able to rp their character how they see fit. So the best way to go about this so that all players have an equally balanced opportunity is to refine the strategic aspects and allow people their freedom

DeletedUser

There's a reason gygax had such a varied and complex alignment system. He wanted EVERYONE to have the opportunity to play the character they saw fit. Listen to the wizard, follow the yellow brick road, and live with the fact that pvp is an integral part of the game.

DeletedUser

Say what? You were making a lot of sense for the first part of that post. You lost me when you made the jump from, "You play it your way and Ill play it mine, equl balance, to pvp is integral, deal with it. That is difficult logic to follow, because if the sides are to balance then the RP player should be able to make the same statement to you, and how would you receive that? Based on previous clashes Ive had with you, I think not well.........."

DeletedUser

Yes a Game must have balance . There must be equality between the classes . There is no game that is "totally free form" ,there are rules in place that restrict the in game abilities and often penalties to characters you fail to act as the game designers saw fit . A Mage can't wear plate mail , a thirties gumshoe can't walk around with two tommy guns without attracting the police's attention , A space marine can't exit the ship without an environment suit . All that is being sought through all of these threads is an agreement as to what the balance should be in this game . You are acting as if someone has suggested eliminating "dueling" all together . I haven't heard that .

DeletedUser

I can't actually recall any of these kind of posts being started by duellers saying that duelling was not easy enough...although that is the opinion of many who do it. Nor can i recall any posts starting off with a balanced approach, being prepared to look at whether the overall balance between classes was right.
So, as duellers, we are constantly fighting a rearguard action to try and defend our position from people who are basically out to make duelling utterly ineffective.
I have ALWAYS supported ideas that allow weaker players to band together to defeat a larger enemy. And have always said that there should be real-time notice of duels giving people a chance to check into a hotel or change their gear. It's funny how the people that claim to want balance are usually absent from these posts.

DeletedUser

pvp is an integral part of the game. Dueling is balanced as I see it. The rewards for dueling can be great but they can also be fruitless. It's a gamble. When you work a job you know your getting paid but there are many things that can hinder a duelists ability to prosper.Role playing is a personal aspect in this game and it should remain that way. I think restricting dueling is a bad decision. I think that the amount of luck involved in dueling is restrictive enough.

DeletedUser

I really think this topic is the most pointless one of those "I hate dueling" topics yet.

Please let this topic die....

DeletedUser

To be fair, we have gone somewhat off topic here. i think that the intention of thomas was to actually give these 'morality' arguments their own thread, so they didn't clutter up the more 'practical' debates. My bad;(

DeletedUser

I think Thomas should stay away from all games with a violent or war type component. His weak sensibilities may be corrupted and we wouldn't want that on our conscious. I think we should vote on the matter. Anyone else?

I vote Thomas should stay away from the game The West.

DeletedUser

I vote that he stays

I vote that the game needs players like Thomas as much as any other. This man is the sort of player that is active and involved, and that, ladies and gentlemen is what this game needs to keep going and evolving. I would probably be shocked if there were ever a point on which all of us agreed, but thats okay. Be pretty boring around here if everybody agreed with everybody else. Just like a list of computer and web games that have none of the content referenced would be pretty short. Thomas is a player that is good for the game for the reasons above and many more. I for one am glad hes here.

DeletedUser

Agreeing is one thing. Constant whinning, *****in, and moaning is another all together. I mean does he ever stop crying?

DeletedUser

Occasionally . The thing is , You don't throw people out for disagreeing with You .
You debate them , or You ignore them .
Thomas is vocal and opinionated . I don't think that's a bad way to be .

DeletedUser

He takes the same tired old argument with game mechanics for a game he chose to play and repackages it. He then repost it and complains about it yet again. Tired old argument retread again and again.

DeletedUser

Disagree

The only time Ive seen Thomas use the same argument or a theme on it is if someone asks him to clarify his point or his objection. Otherwise his points evolve as the discussion does. I dont know about opinionated, if Thomas is then so are we all to one degree or another. Its a rare thing in a day and age of apathy to find a person who does care about whatever the issue happens to be.

DeletedUser

Hw has started at least three threads in the last week + about how he thinks dueling the helpless (him) is evil and should be done away with.

DeletedUser

Say what?

I have not heard Thomas argue for getting rid of dueling, all I have heard him say is that there should be balance between the two sides, and that the issue should not tilt too far in favor of either option. He recognizes, as we all do that both sides are parts of the game and thus equally important to it. This exchange and discussion of ideas is simply part of a process by which the game improves and we get a better experience as a result. And as far as your other point goes, sure THomas is an advocate for the worker class, so am I...theres nothing wrong with that. As you have the right to post your view and voice your opinion, so also does he. Applying various purjoratives to that opinion doesnt make him wrong any more than it validates the opposing point.

DeletedUser

On reexamination I must agree that Thomas does take issue with victimization of players who dont have the means to defend themselves, and those who justify that behaviour by coloring it in the glamor and history of the old West. He has also taken issue with the view that violent content in media simply for entertainments sake has no effect or impact at all. I share those views, but I recognize and respect the fact that there are those who dont. I think THomas does too.

DeletedUser5046

i'm just thinking...

this game's dueling is part of the game right?
(western style)

and that it manage to make your character stronger..which means that if you somehow lose in a duel...it doesnt mean you'll forever lose...

*besides there are part of quests where you will be challenged in a duel*

and that this means that you must take part of getting stronger to be able to win...i myself lose twice on a duel but never thought of that much since i know someday i'll be able to fight back and win...

DeletedUser1105

Voting for someone not to play the game is ridiculous.

And trying to remove someone for having different views from yourself is even more ridiculous. Hitler did a similar thing ;)

Last edited by a moderator: