• yes

Votes: 40 66.7%
  • no

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • not sure

Votes: 15 25.0%

• Total voters

DeletedUser

I swear I wrote this somewhere else , but I can't seem to locate it now .
If the job of "protect town" or whatever were included in the game , then it would only apply when PC's were doing that job . If someone was doing that task when a town member was dueled then the challenger would have to duel the guard first . If the guard was defeated then the challenger would move to the next guard or he's intended target . The challenger would only expend the energy and motivation for one duel . This way the towns people could have a shield , and duelers could have two , three or more duels for the cost of one .

DeletedUser

That is a very sound suggestion. I guess it might function by someone clicking on 'guard jail' in the jail building for say 8 hours in very much the same way as one checks into the town hotel. this might also support the idea of holding prisoners and the need to guard them lest they escape. maybe this can kill two good game ideas with one stone?

DeletedUser1105

It is getting to be an interesting idea. I want to hear more...

DeletedUser

There is a weakness in the soldier function. they are only strong in defence. therefore you just don't fight them. Don't really have a solution to this but they don't really stop gunfighters attacking weaker town members.......they just protect themselves. Wish i'd chosen soldier [sniff]

nah... i dontthink so...
Aint lost in a duel yet...
even if im a soldier
:)

DeletedUser

That is a very sound suggestion. I guess it might function by someone clicking on 'guard jail' in the jail building for say 8 hours in very much the same way as one checks into the town hotel. this might also support the idea of holding prisoners and the need to guard them lest they escape. maybe this can kill two good game ideas with one stone?

Now we're rolling!
Possble soldier quests:
Guard Jail house (would require a jail)
Secure storehouse (would protect town treasurey from robbers)
Border Patrol (keeps mexicans from entering)
Watchman Duty (soldier patrols town and increases chance of finding duelers and throwing them in jail)

DeletedUser1105

So if a town were employing all of the above, what would the chances of a dueller being successful be?

DeletedUser

robably not very high... But what do you think the chance would be that a town would be empolying 5 soldies all doing the 'gaurd / police' quests at the same time? Balance would be very little exp gain for doing the quest...

So you play a soldier? Do you waste 8 - 18 hrs on a job que protecting your town for very little benefit? Or do you go working the fields for a faster pay-rate?

Of course to counter those quests you could make "bandit quests" (for adventure class only)
Scout Town Treasuery: (allows bandit to get a peak at treasury) No gold pay out upon completion, 5 exp, high % chance of getting caught and thrown in jail under suspicios activity. If pulled off successfully would allow a 24 hr window for members of adventurer's town a one-time bonus to 'sneak past' the gaurd and rob the bank

Distract Gaurd:(by offering drink and or who-oars, the adventure distract the gaurd)3-5 gold earned, 7 exp. low % of getting caught. Successul completion allows a 24 hr window for members of adventurer's town to 'sneak past' the gaurd and challenge players to a duel with lower chance of getting caught....

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

As long as there was a commensurate balancing of dueller abilities then the logic of this is very reasonable. What i would suggest is that dueller [and other class] parameters are tweaked to the extent that there is an even mix of each class in the top hundred rankings. So, let's say we find that there are hardly any builders in the top hundred we boost their advantages. If we find that there are too many duellers then we tweak their attributes down, for example the amount of duelling motivation points regained each day diminishes. I'm going to have a look at the top hundred and see what class they are.

DeletedUser

OK here are the results of the first 15 top players
Soldiers 1
Workers 1
Duellers 1
Adventurers 12.
Now i'm sure we can all agree that, in the interests of balance and fairness, the character advantages of soldiers, duellers and workers need to be tweaked upwards?

DeletedUser1105

I can't argue with that logic. It makes sense. A rolling scale whereby the minority parties gain extra advantages, or the majority just loses theirs for a while.

It would be a little harsh on the little guys working up, but in time it would even out as everyone got a turn at being the minority.

DeletedUser

I don't follow You there SDJX22 .
Uithor said there needed to be some balance brought to class advantages .
Are You then suggesting that "rolling disadvantages" be put in place
until there is a balance in class's ?

DeletedUser

OK here are the results of the first 15 top players
Soldiers 1
Workers 1
Duellers 1
Adventurers 12.
Now I'm sure we can all agree that, in the interests of balance and fairness, the character advantages of soldiers, duellers and workers need to be tweaked upwards?

Just because those are the best players doesn't mean anything about the classes because MOST player in this game choose ADVENTURER

DeletedUser1105

I don't follow You there SDJX22 .
Uithor said there needed to be some balance brought to class advantages .
Are You then suggesting that "rolling disadvantages" be put in place
until there is a balance in class's ?

Yes. But as mentioned above, it needs to be tailored to the numbers of each class.

For example, if we have 1000 players we need to find out what levels of each class we have which may work like so:

400 Adventurers
250 Duellers
200 Soldiers
150 Workers

So each class is then allocated an allowance based on it's 'market share'.

Then, they look at the top 100 players. Now, based on market share, we expect Adventuers to cover 40% of the top 100. If there is more than that though, all other classes who have less market share than they should get bonuses to their advantages, i.e. extra XP.

They keep a track of the rankings and when it evens up, all bonuses are lost and we go back to normal. However, whenever a class has a lower market share, they get the bonus again.

DeletedUser

wow - that would take ALOT of scripting, sdj. Not too mention totally detract from the premium puchse of class bns (double all class bonuses for 5 days). Why would i pay for this bonus if was dependent upon how many other 'classes' are out wandering the world? So i could feasibly waste my money to double my nothing to earn a whopping ZERO?

DeletedUser1105

I don't know the first thing about programming, but if you tell me that this is a big job, I can believe it.

I agree it's not perfect. I'm just trying to come up with a solution.

DeletedUser

I'd actually go further and say that even IF it is the case that Adventurers make up 12 out of 15 of the class choices then there should still be balancing because it is in the game's interest to have all the charactor classes active. It is wrong to assume that just because the game happened to start off in the way it did, that that is the best and only way it could be done. if a class isn't really working then tweaks should be made. I can't really speak for other classes but for duellers it seems awfully restrictive to only be able to do 3-4 duels per day. After all, you use 15 energy points in each duel and duels aren't the only thing you want to do. id propose [biased of course] that there should be no restriction on the amount of duelling. i'd then be much more enthusiastic about some of the other ideas e.g. having to fight soldiers first etc

DeletedUser1105

I disagree. No restriction would just be ridiculous. You could duel solidly forever that way.

You decided to do duels instead of working. I can generally do 4 slots of work (at 2 hours apiece) in a day. Then I nap and do another two in the evening.

I think it should be the same for duellers. It should cost the same as working on a job.

You may argue that you get less experience and money, but if you duel someone with a lot of cash, you can earn in one duel what I can earn in a day.

DeletedUser

I agree with ulthor - there are already too many restriction on the dueling class: 15 energy each AND only limited to 4 duels? PAH!

You should be able to keep dueling as long as you have the health and energy for it. The only limit I would implement is the amount of times you can duel ONE PERSON (as it already stands that once a victim has been KO'd he then has a 48 hr 'protection period and if I'm wrong, then that's how it should be).