Votes: 5 8.3%
  • not sure

Votes: 15 25.0%

• Total voters

DeletedUser

Now we're rolling!
Possble soldier quests:
Guard Jail house (would require a jail)
Secure storehouse (would protect town treasurey from robbers)
Border Patrol (keeps mexicans from entering)
Watchman Duty (soldier patrols town and increases chance of finding duelers and throwing them in jail)
Mexican is a soldier class though

DeletedUser

First I'd heard of the four duel limit . That is restricting for the focus of the class . I'd suggest removing that restriction , supplanting it with no more than three attacks on any one PC per 24 hour period . Then put in the "Patrol Town" job . There has to be balance between the classes .
Sdjx22 , I'm not fond of the "rolling mod ." at all . Veteran Pen And Paper gamer , I like fixed rules . Things need modifying from time to time ,Yes . But a constant adjustment going on behind the scenes is just to chaotic for My taste .

DeletedUser

I think the 4 duel limit is effectively your motivation... Maybe if the motivation was adjusted according to the dueling level difference between you and your target? If you constantly pick on 'weaker' players, your motivation is adversely affected - target 1 level below, you loose 110% of dueling motivation (what is it - 10 motivation/duel? so you'd loose 11), 2 levels below, 120%. If your target is a higher level, then you loose less motivation - 90% for a target who is 1 level higher etc. You could use a scale based on triangular numbers instead of linear - 1, 3, 6 etc.

Either way, that would help resolve the complaints about weaker players being seen as easy pickings and encourage dueling above your level. After all, isn't a Western trope the young gun taking on the top dog in an attempt to make a name for himself?

DeletedUser

I disagree. No restriction would just be ridiculous. You could duel solidly forever that way.

You decided to do duels instead of working. I can generally do 4 slots of work (at 2 hours apiece) in a day. Then I nap and do another two in the evening.

I think it should be the same for duellers. It should cost the same as working on a job.

You may argue that you get less experience and money, but if you duel someone with a lot of cash, you can earn in one duel what I can earn in a day.

You couldn't duel solidly because each duel uses 15 motivation therefore the maximum duels would be 7, which doesn't seem that outrageous to me.
if i duelled someone with a lot of cash i could make a lot of money. however over 70 sucessful duels i have never made mor than $130. most duels make nothing. Avrage is less than $20. It just isn't the big money-earner people think it is. if i could make as much duelling as working i'd be happy.

Sammie-your idea has some merit if you only lost motivation by picking on lower levels [one point down per lower level, one point up per level above that could definately work. personally i don't think it is necessary because the 15 motivation loss is quite sufficient. i'd definately look more favourably at some of the ideas about having to beat soldiers first etc if duellers weren't hamstrung in this way.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Plus there is always the risk of the duelist LOOSING the challenge and come out with a bullet in the gut and $100 less in their pocket...

Sure a duelist may wander into town, kick 3-4 asses and then get totally owned on that last challenge. Unless the duelist is close his hometown and has a mustang, he runs the risk of loosing all his blood earned money.

DeletedUser1105

Ah, I didn't realise about the motivation, my mistake.

Then that would be fine then, as long as it did have a reasonable limit.

DeletedUser

I believe there should be some way for PC's to protect their other town members .
A job "protect Town" or the like , where the ones preforming that task can attempt to defeat the 'duelers' prior to the 'dueler' attacking the towns folk . I would also suggest that PC's not in a town be open to dueling . Traveling alone was historically a good way to get attacked . This would also encourage town growth , because of the safety in numbers aspect .