cotton picking

DeletedUser

It seems that I'm going all over an picking cotton but nothings happening, is there a certain cotton I need to finish my quest. Please help.

Wayne

DeletedUser

Try doing it for 2 hours - it doesn't matter where you do it at.
You have to look at the % of getting that product while you work.
You figure something has a 60% chance of being found with 30 minutes of work, you do it for 2 hours, that should mean a 240% chance that you will find that produce (which normally means you find more than 1 of that product - any extra you can sell at a General Store)

DeletedUser2708

You figure something has a 60% chance of being found with 30 minutes of work, you do it for 2 hours, that should mean a 240% chance that you will find that produce (which normally means you find more than 1 of that product - any extra you can sell at a General Store)

Not quite. What it means is there is a 60% chance, checked every half hour. So the odds go up the more half-hour blocks you work, but not nearly as much as they would if it worked the way you've stated it. I think if you check the help section, the "?" at the bottom of the game screen, and look under "jobs" and "items," it is explained fairly well.

DeletedUser

i've always set my cotton picking for 2 hrs and gotten enough so far for each of the wuests that ask for it

DeletedUser

I don't know what the problem is, but it seems like quest items are the hardest for me to get.

Quest items:
Cotton (4) 2 hr shifts = 0 cotton (25% chance)
Horn (6) 2 hr shifts = 0 horn (13% chance)
Beans (3) 2 hr shifts = 1 bean (40% chance)
Corn (4) 2 hr shifts = 1 corn (25% chance)
Hammer (10) 2 hr shifts = 0 hammers (11% chance)
52 total hrs - 2 items

Non quest items:
T bone (3) 2 hr shifts = 7 steaks (15% chance)
Saddle (12) 2 hr shifts = 5 saddles (5% chance)
30 hrs - 12 items

Except for the hammer, the two lowest % chance items give me no problem at all, yet the high % chance items are absolutely impossible for me. The only high % chance items I get are berries and sugar.

One thing I am noticing throughout all this is that I need to get the items before I either get the quest or accept the quest.

DeletedUser

Zzzz I have been Tending pigs for 8-9 hrs now.... no sign of ham :dry:

One thing I am noticing throughout all this is that I need to get the items before I either get the quest or accept the quest.
.... :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

T-bone steaks

Well, you'll need them T-bone steaks eventually... forget which quest off the top of my head, but they taste good, too... :D

DeletedUser

Doing a job that has 20% success for 2 hours is better than doing it 4 times at 30 minutes. The reason is that the two hours increases the odds on that single time. Let's say 20% of 10 minutes. So there are 12 x 10 minute chunks in 2 hours. That comes to 12 x 20% or 240%. (An hour would probably work.)

Using the same on 30 minutes gives 3 x 20% or 60% - each time.

Just my stupid logic. But it seems to be working.

BTW this old cowpoke needs a town. Any offers? Please???

DeletedUser

your logic is wrong for two hours you have 4 20% chances although it is increased slightly from that for the whole job

DeletedUser

Doing a job that has 20% success for 2 hours is better than doing it 4 times at 30 minutes. The reason is that the two hours increases the odds on that single time. Let's say 20% of 10 minutes. So there are 12 x 10 minute chunks in 2 hours. That comes to 12 x 20% or 240%. (An hour would probably work.)

Using the same on 30 minutes gives 3 x 20% or 60% - each time.

Just my stupid logic. But it seems to be working.

BTW this old cowpoke needs a town. Any offers? Please???

It does not work that way, but if you are finding it to be successful, I guess it doesn't matter then.