Discarded Restrict Access to Constructing Town Buildings

Do you agree with this idea?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Get the rest of your town members to vote on this. I am honored this post has received this much attention. Thanks everyone

DeletedUser

I like the idea of founder/councillors being able to set official builders. I guess restricting the treasury would help with "unauthorized" building, but I have town members who think that if they're using their own money it's fine to build, and quite frankly it's not. If they have money to build with and don't deposit it for an official town builder to build with, they are wasting the town's building funds.

I hope this new town log shows who built what building for how long with what money. That will help tremendously.

DeletedUser

no they arent, they are wasting their own funds. just be happy you have someone who wants to help out. yes it would be more beneficial to have them deposit for the town builders, but as long as they keep up a healthy deposit amount then there shouldnt be a problem with them building with their own cash.

DeletedUser

i've been posting in our town forum over and over and over again, that anyone who wants to build should do so only 1) if their motivation is at 100%, and 2) in ½ hour shifts, so as to maximise the construction points. beyond ½ hour any job falls prey to diminishing returns.

as mayor, i would like to be able to restrict construction to those criteria. then, it wouldn't matter whether the constructor was using town funds or their own.

DeletedUser

I think i slight variation of this would be best. The town founder should be able to set a minimum amount of labor points to build. That way the founder will know who has real building ability and who made a stupid character without having to look it up. The also wouldnt have to go through a list of people deciding who could and couldnt build.

DeletedUser

no they arent, they are wasting their own funds. just be happy you have someone who wants to help out. yes it would be more beneficial to have them deposit for the town builders, but as long as they keep up a healthy deposit amount then there shouldnt be a problem with them building with their own cash.
If thats the case then they can do it without having to put it in the treasury, this is just about stopping people from using the town treasury to build up any part of a building.

Everyone knows that it's better to concentrate on one if not two buildings at a time, not all of them.

DeletedUser

i've been posting in our town forum over and over and over again, that anyone who wants to build should do so only 1) if their motivation is at 100%, and 2) in ½ hour shifts, so as to maximise the construction points. beyond ½ hour any job falls prey to diminishing returns.

as mayor, i would like to be able to restrict construction to those criteria. then, it wouldn't matter whether the constructor was using town funds or their own.

Is this true (the part about diminishing returns)? Also I made a thread in World 4 forums about developing a calculation for potential points. Do you know of any such formula?

DeletedUser

Is this true (the part about diminishing returns)? Also I made a thread in World 4 forums about developing a calculation for potential points. Do you know of any such formula?

Not really. The thinking is by doing smaller increments, motivation will be higher for the job, so it is PROBABLY you will gain a slight/very slight advantage by doing 30 minutes, rather than 2 hours at a time. However the percentage difference is probably in the low / very low single digits.

I saw a formula floating around on the forum somewhere, but personally I haven't been able to figure the formula [some of the info needed regarding what numbers to plug in where, seems to be missing/confusing.] :-(

DeletedUser

Not really. The thinking is by doing smaller increments, motivation will be higher for the job, so it is PROBABLY you will gain a slight/very slight advantage by doing 30 minutes, rather than 2 hours at a time. However the percentage difference is probably in the low / very low single digits.

I saw a formula floating around on the forum somewhere, but personally I haven't been able to figure the formula [some of the info needed regarding what numbers to plug in where, seems to be missing/confusing.] :-(

I have searched to no avail, do you happen to remember where it was?

DeletedUser

klondike said:
Rolotamasi said:
blingadore said:
...anyone who wants to build should do so only 1) if their motivation is at 100%, and 2) in ½ hour shifts, so as to maximise the construction points. beyond ½ hour any job falls prey to diminishing returns.
Is this true (the part about diminishing returns)?
Not really....the percentage difference is probably in the low / very low single digits...
to rolotamasi:
emphatically, YES!

to klondike:
have you done the research? i dont' think so. i have!

i tell you what... you give me $60 and i'll give you 10 bricks.
but if you give me $120 i'll only give you 18 bricks. [a 10% difference!]
and for the generous sum of $240, you only get 34 bricks. [15% difference!!]
but if you give me $60 four times, i'll still give you 10 bricks every time!
which would *you* choose?

don't believe me in any case, though. prove it for yourselves!

here's how:

with your motivation at 100%, do 30 minutes' worth of construction. after that, go to bed, or go out and do some quests, or whatever you want to, until your motivation is back up to 100%.
then, with exactly the same inventory options as the first time, and on the same building as the first time, do two hours' worth of construction, and you see what the difference is.

as i've found, this holds true for any job, not just construction. that's why there really is an advantage to buying the automation premium, although i haven't done so: you can stack 4 jobs at ½ hour each, and get the most bang for your buck in experience points. think about it... if you worked at a job for two hours straight, wouldn't you get tired of it? do it for a half hour and take a break! you'll feel much more like going back to it, afterwards. [unless, of course, the job is mattress tester!]

additionally, in the 4-job cycle your motivation for each one should rise back up to 100% by the time you get back to it, due to travel times in between each. if not, then stick another job in the routine, and make it a round-robin of five jobs. then you will be certain that your motivation is all the way back up for each job.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

i like this idea but it should be restricting the use of the town funds to build. but if a crappy builder wants to spend thier own money to build its up to them to supply the money.

DeletedUser

The whole thing about this idea is that it rewards bad decision making and poor playing skills by diminishing their effect.

This just means that you get a town full of idiots but it doesn't matter because you can make them behave as bots anyway.

Founders who are careful about who they let in and dismiss bad players should prosper.

DeletedUser

Yes okey, its easy to watch after 10-20 players so they wouldn't waste towns money, but its gets harder with 40+ players. And leaders have other things to do.

DeletedUser

Player A wishes to use Money from the treasury on Building B, Player A receives a pop-up message.
"You cannot spend the treasury on this building"
Player A decides to use their own money on Building B, Player A starts the job of construction.

I think the non-restricted building should be highlighted in some way.

DeletedUser

Yes okey, its easy to watch after 10-20 players so they wouldn't waste towns money, but its gets harder with 40+ players. And leaders have other things to do.

That IS true but should a town find it easy just because they got a lot of members? Surely there should be a way for a smaller but better run town to prosper? At the moment it is just BIG is BEST and this makes it easier for the big to get bigger without being superior at anything other than getting people to join.

DeletedUser

so what you are saying is that if you have lots of members you may be a big town buit not neccararaly a skillful town

DeletedUser

Then maybe the optimum town has less than 50 players in. is that such a bad thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.