Rule change

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Yeah I am trying not to close this thread, but a lot of people aren't doing much to help.

(Did I ever tell you about the rumour that a Danish version of the west is in alpha version right this minute? And it'll be opening soon? :))

Then ban those that flame eachother..if you go back then you can proberly find rerasons to ban me ;)

closing would be the ultimate powermisuse, and would proberly just alinate a lot of players.

Do you really think it will be fun to play on a danish server with about 100-150 players? I will stay here and speak English :D

Now can you plz answer my questions?

Who asked for this rule?

The game developers or the Mods?

DeletedUser

It was the Community manager for the west. The guy who is in charge of everything on the English version :)

DeletedUser

It was the Community manager for the west. The guy who is in charge of everything on the English version :)

Then let this guy come and talk to us. We are players on this server, and we at least deserve to be taken seriusly and talked to.

To me it seems that we can't change this rule, but plz don't let this discusion end up in a lot of players having lost all trust in the mods and the communtiy manager. (He should maybe try to communicate with his community *S*)

We danes seem to be able to talk for ourselfs, but I can read posts from people who seem to be having even greater problems with the english language than us danes.

DeletedUser3954

its a STUPID rule,if its going on this way...i stop putting money in it.

and its a German game...NOT English.....so should we all learn Germans now...??

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I think problem is not nationality or discrimination.
Many town founders can't trust a guy just recruited from game.
They prefer recruit from somewhere they are familiar with,like other web forum.
If all town forum need in English,they just abandon town forum and back to their old palace then outsiders will more harder to involve with town issues.

DeletedUser

i think this is a bad rule. i dont have that good skills in english and i sometimes cant respond to threads becus i dont know the words.

but im okay whit it and i do my best to write in english.

im not in a danish town (im danish) but i feel for the people that have joined a town were they all speak the same language.

insted of this rule why not have transtators?

im sure that you whould be able to have people that whould translate it for you.(even for free)

then if you get a ticket about a person that in danish is a bit harsh then just send it to two translators and aks them bouth to translate it.
that way you make sure that you get a clear idea of what the person says and make sure that if a translator miss something then you have a second to back him up.

that way we whould all be able to keep our forums as they are. and even non english player whould be able to play this game.

if you were to take up my idea insted of this "not that good" rule i whould be happy to help you translate any dansih text you should get tickets about.

DeletedUser

Why are they playing an english game if they don't understand english?

How do they read and understand the quests? The menus? The help files?

If they can understand that, then they can obviously communicate in English. I know some people can read better than they can write in some languages, but they must have some basic grasp of it, otherwise it would be pointless playing the game.

Being able to read and understand quest and meun and help file does not mean they can communicate in English. Let me show you an example:

Fool's gold: 0/1.

This isn't very difficult to understand at all. Even if the person readling this does not have a clue what "fool's gold" mean, all he or she has to do is to ask other town members who know English what they are suppose to do.

I don't know about other towns, but my town had translated a good porpotion of the help files into English. Really, please believe it, there are people who only knows a very minimum amount of English, and are playing the game. My town has many of these people.

DeletedUser

Allowing all languages like the "real west"

I don't think it is fair to discriminate against non english speaking players. The railroads for example wouldn't have been built if not for "non-english" speaking workers in "the west" I can understand the mod's needs for translation so I propose a simple fix. ANY POST in a Town forum that is not in English that a mod wants translated they contact the Town's founder(s) and give them 24 hours to have it translated into English. This way we can enjoy playing with people of different countries and struggle just like the pioneers did with the language barrier. I don't know the number but Lewis & Clark must have encountered many many dialects that even their interpreter had to struggle with. This would also encourage towns of non or poor english speaking players to work at interacting with english speaking players by putting in a trade between towns feature. Where if a town forms an alliance or partnership with a sister city they can buy and sell each other's goods in the general store for the discounted rate of a town member. For non english speaking players it is still more difficult and as in the real west I'm sure it was to but we shouldn't perpetuate the racism that was prevelant in that era.
As far as english speaking people being able to join any town and understand. Groups of settlers would settle around those typically of their nationality and over time cultures grew together this adds a very interesting twist to the game and I don't view it as a hurdle just something that through diplomacy can be overcome and the reward for working through a language barrier is a great feeling of accomplishment

DeletedUser

People seem to be under the impression that the rule regarding town forums is for the benefit of the mods. It's not.

English players must be able to join any town and be able to read and communicate in the forums.

DeletedUser

try and read some of the post in this thread morthy.

we dont care about the few towns that is only for people that speak a non english language.

have you even had any people report towns for not letting them join becus of this?

DeletedUser

Let me quote something from my town formu. If you don't understand it, no problem. Just get an idea that those non-senses are starting to appear.

my town forum said:
"There are four large capacity ABCD (A1 A2 A3 specialization to D5)
I will try to pre-select D points D
I would choose the specialized Ax Bx Cx to fill
Higher work as much as possible to the goal of the principle of
For the following reasons
1: you too can become concentrated in too few high-end work (this game there are problems motivation)
Is bound to need at least 2 to 3 in order to make up for work motivation enough time
2: While your average point average but do exp / $ is only an average increase of
The only advantage, the task is relatively no problem
3: early to do the work of the Higher efficiency will be lower than you work a lot of benefits
2 hour of your arrival may have the potential 3 ~ 4hour
Even if you are low compared with other work a little input
However, coupled with the high-end will be able to more than others
4: money is very important
In the latter part of the work regardless of what must Equipment to say if
Since the point spread can only do low average work
I said get a few more high-high work
This money can buy faster / better equipment investment
5: You assume that you are in the process of upgrading rose LV30
Point of law 7D ==> 7C ==> 7B ==> 7A
The results will not like 1A ==> 1B ==> 1C ===>..........
This law will not be the last point you almost have?
I like the current goal is to charm mad point
focus on skill in the vigor (to the point will be able to dig coal-for-skill)
Some come pre-equipped with a relatively small
Second useful to fight
Third, to support him in order to work cutting wood / stone
Are just a lot of work is $
And enhance the labor point = same work will make more"

This is a walkthrough, translated by google-translator. It was pretty useful, and people didn't want to delete it, so they kept the original script, and attached a translated version beside it.

Now, please, read it, and see how much you can make sense of it.

The mods say that they want to be able to moitor rule breaking acts, and are thus telling people to start writing things in English. My town members looked at this new rule, felt extremly bad, and start to work on translating everything. Congrads, their English suck, so the best they can do is google translator. In fact, our town forum has "Important: translate.google.com (Chinese <-> English)" as the first thread.

If anyone has the capability to monitor rule breaking events by reading the gibberishs produced by google translators, good job. You have my respect. As for me, I am not a translator, and I do not want to fix every single of those gibberish into good English.

DeletedUser

i dont see why T-W thinks its a good idea to make a rule that no one likes?

the purpos of rules is to help people not harm them.

and this rules harm people more then it helps them.

if you want this rule to stay you should let a vote deside it.
and see what the people that has to follow it has to say about it.

again rules are made to help not to harm.

DeletedUser

Let me quote something from my town formu. If you don't understand it, no problem. Just get an idea that those non-senses are starting to appear.

Now, please, read it, and see how much you can make sense of it.

The mods say that they want to be able to moitor rule breaking acts, and are thus telling people to start writing things in English. My town members looked at this new rule, felt extremly bad, and start to work on translating everything. Congrads, their English suck, so the best they can do is google translator. In fact, our town forum has "Important: translate.google.com (Chinese <-> English)" as the first thread.

If anyone has the capability to monitor rule breaking events by reading the gibberishs produced by google translators, good job. You have my respect. As for me, I am not a translator, and I do not want to fix every single of those gibberish into good English.

Your members can still speak in Chinese, or whatever language they do speak in, all they have to do is google translate what they said and add it below what they said in the other language :)

DeletedUser

English players must be able to join any town and be able to read and communicate in the forums.

Why should they be able to do that?

Why should a Danish guy not get opportunity to join this great game?

Why should I not have the chance of making a town were we only want Danish people?

DeletedUser

and hwo told you that?

if that is all we need to do people whould just make up a fake convesation and write what ever they whant in there own languag.

DeletedUser

Your members can still speak in Chinese, or whatever language they do speak in, all they have to do is google translate what they said and add it below what they said in the other language :)

I'm gonna do that.. They have never said that others has to have a chance to understand the english :D

DeletedUser

People seem to be under the impression that the rule regarding town forums is for the benefit of the mods. It's not.

So if the communication in the game was in Turkish all people should write in Turkish or what ?

Status
Not open for further replies.