Rule change

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Haha! Taking my job :(

So, are you okay with the rule now?

If I where a mod, then you could allow Dansih, Norwegian and Swedish as languages :)

Then we just need mods from the other languages that are used in the west.

DeletedUser

That would be far too much work for one person :p

Actually I don't think there is much danish in the west...just in the towns a bunch of danes startet together, where we have fun.

I proberly only need to read 2-3 towns forums xtra to fullfill my job ;)

DeletedUser

If I where a mod, then you could allow Dansih, Norwegian and Swedish as languages :)

Then we just need mods from the other languages that are used in the west.
There's other language games for the reason...

By the way, I'd stop suggesting your self as a mod... it's not going to help you get a mod status.

DeletedUser

I have a question ... would the game mods be ok with say having english added on ... example:

Hola amigo!

Come estas?

=============

hey Friend!

How are you?

.... like using both, but still english.

DeletedUser

There's other language games for the reason...

By the way, I'd stop suggesting your self as a mod... it's not going to help you get a mod status.

I actually don't want to be a mod, that is why I can suggest myself ;)

There is no Danish language The West.

Those danish players who feel helped by the fact that we have a helpthread in danish in out Townforum, should I just tell those players that i can't help them anymore, unless they understand english well?

DeletedUser

Buffalo Brian, you've shown you can speak good english, so whats the harm?

Plus, I'm a mod on a site which has people from all over the world, and they all speak english , or at least try, without complaining. Surely so can you.

Yes, he can do that... We're 3 from the danish towns on different servers that write here...

We have another forum, where we also talk, because, thats the place we know eachother from...

3 people talking in here... and about 40-50 danish playing, having played on different servers, if not more...

And several users writing where we can write danish together, and only the ones that write english well, that are in here...

I doubt, that this is the only place, where there's many users playing, that aren't that good at english, but still would benefit both towns and the amount of players in the game in generel.

DeletedUser1105

Why are they playing an english game if they don't understand english?

How do they read and understand the quests? The menus? The help files?

If they can understand that, then they can obviously communicate in English. I know some people can read better than they can write in some languages, but they must have some basic grasp of it, otherwise it would be pointless playing the game.

DeletedUser

What do you think of this rule change?

Moved from the first post, becouse the first post was filled with editing and stuff that shouldn't have been in the first post:

I myself is the Mayor of a town in world4 founded by danish players who know eachother from outside this game, we talk in danish in our forum, and we actually don't see the reason why we should be punished for this.

What will happen now? will our forum be totaly errased and out town turned into a ghost town, and all of us banned?

This seems very stupid from the gamemakers.

When I first saw this rule change, I was so pissed that i actually consided dropping this game alltogether.

Im pretty sure I will not pay for premium anymore, this is simply the worst rule I have ever seen in a online game.

gem>plz let this stand, I think the rule change needs a real discusion, and I don't want my feelings about this rule to be a part of the 1. post, since that would make the discusion about me and my feelings in stead of about the rule change.

DeletedUser

If they can understand that, then they can obviously communicate in English. I know some people can read better than they can write in some languages, but they must have some basic grasp of it, otherwise it would be pointless playing the game.

I guess you normally are speaking English.. Have you ever tried learn German or French..?? Just any other language..??
I don't think, because you would know that it's a lot more difficult to write understable English, than to take out the keywords in a text, and understand it that way.. I still do this with many texts on other languages than Danish..

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Rule change input.

First things first - I'm in the same town as Bryan. Therefore perhaps my opinions are close to his.
I honestly can't se the point in town forums beeing written in english - You have made a bad dessicion.
If anyone is getting harrassed in town forum's, his or she is free to join another town - And if somebody harresses me in Dutch or Swahili I will not know and therefore not care.
It is not that im not cabable of writting (bad) english - but this game is played for fun and It is not my idea of fun trying to spell my way through a foreign language.
I understand that communication between unknown players and mods has to be in english - but I cant see the harm in town forum's. The only thing that will happen is that the communication will move out of the game - to other forum like messengers etc. The you will have no control at all.
A fun fact is that I had forgotten my password so I just requested another

- I got this mail:
Hallo steenstar!
Es wurde ein neues Passwort für den Spieler steenstar angefordert. Wenn du dein Passwort nicht vergessen hast, kannst du diese Mail ignorieren. Klick auf den folgenden Link um ein neues Passwort zu setzen.
Link: http://www.the-west.net/?page=change_password&mode=change_password&hash=<deleted>
http://www.the-west.net

Shoundn't you translate your own stuff also? Or are you also lazy and perfres writting your native language?:)

That my 2 cent. Gute aben und viel spass.
Steenstar

DeletedUser

Most people join an international server of a game to have more opponents to play against instead of joining a national server ( this can typical be seen on Travian ), and they will also most likely gather together in groups from their own nationality to work against the others.
The communication from these players are often being done in their native language, and putting in a restriction like this is only going to hurt the-west.

Now if you would be so kind and answer these things :

You mention national servers, when will they come ?

Will the words who arent english be removed from the help files ? :p
Or will the help files be removed if it isnt done before the 7th December ?

PS
It may be an "english" game.. but it is still developed by a german company.....

DeletedUser

It's just an idiotic rule forcing a lot of people who speak the same laguage, to communicate in a second language.
An why on earth should mods be able to read the town forum? That just like a sick child who wants power.

DeletedUser

Couldnt agree more Ombi, seems that its all about power for the mods and not about making the game enjoyable for the players.
Well we should all start reporting people with just 1 non english word in their profile, people with just the slightest inappropiate contest in their profiles.
Lets flood the mods to help them with their new rule.

DeletedUser

The West is a simple game. The menus are in a simple easy-to-understand English. The instructions are the same.

One thing is to understand a fairly simple English text from a quest like "Bring five coal". It only takes a basic grasp to do so.

Another thing is to be able to fully participate in an in-depth strategic discussion regarding the pros and cons of future building projects in a town. That takes a whole lot more.

If a rule dictates that a specific language must be used in a (private) town forum it automatically excludes some players from ever being a part of a town discussion and thus from ever really being a part of the game. That rule will never help them to become more a part of the game.

Of course you might end up some day in a town where the language is French, Norwegian or something else you do not understand. If that is the case, I have no doubt that you could still get your questions answered in the town forum even if you dared to write in English.
Because out here in The West we all tend to help each other out. And we do that by communicating in the most efficient way, be that Danish, English or Messenger.

DeletedUser

I don't see why Inno would want to police town forums or care whether people want to have towns filled with people of their own Nationality.

If a town has forum problems then the Mayor should be the one deleting inappropriate threads. If the Mayor doesnt want non-English then they can delete the threads or boot the violator. If people feel the Mayor isn't doing their job then people will leave the town and join another one.

There are dozens of one country/language towns on W-1 alone, and banning all those people and turning their towns into Ghost towns seems pretty dumb from a business point of view. Those people will never play another Inno game ...

There is enough attrition as it is already ...

DeletedUser

I'm danish, i understand english and can read it, but the writing is'nt that good.. and i can't type many word correctly... i am playing this game now... and have no trouble at all with reading the quest and so on... but if all messages shall be in english this game will suddenly take very long for me because i need to understand what i'm reading... or else i don't want to play... can't see why the town forums needs to be in english.. or else ask some danish players to be a mod to so you can ask him what the danes are writting??....

and does this mean that if i develop some kind of code speaking in english i must write it?? for you it can mean nothing at all but to those who understand it, it can be everything from a joke to herrassing...

padden - if this rule is for real... then i'm proberbly not playing this anymore.. and defenitly don't wanna speak about the game to freinds...

DeletedUser

Part of this new rule is very short-sighted IMO -

I can see mail being required to be English only, and if someone sends you mail in a foreign language you don't want then just block them as the solution. I can also understand communication between player and Mod being in English but town forums and town membership should be left alone and policed by the players.

Of the top 200 towns on W-1 at least 30 of them are one country/language only. ~7 of the top 30 on W-1 are one country/language. The chance of those towns opening up membership to me as an English only speaking member is zero to nil, and I wouldn't expect them to want me as a member.

That leaves 170 of the top 200 and ~23 of the top 30 towns for everyone else to join ... I think that is enough.

Also I'd like to know how they propose telling all players about the rule changes since there are only 3000 active users on the forum and 100,000+ players in the game.

DeletedUser

First things first - I'm in the same town as Bryan. Therefore perhaps my opinions are close to his.
I honestly can't se the point in town forums beeing written in english - You have made a bad dessicion.
If anyone is getting harrassed in town forum's, his or she is free to join another town - And if somebody harresses me in Dutch or Swahili I will not know and therefore not care.
It is not that im not cabable of writting (bad) english - but this game is played for fun and It is not my idea of fun trying to spell my way through a foreign language.
I understand that communication between unknown players and mods has to be in english - but I cant see the harm in town forum's. The only thing that will happen is that the communication will move out of the game - to other forum like messengers etc. The you will have no control at all.
A fun fact is that I had forgotten my password so I just requested another

- I got this mail:
Hallo steenstar!
Es wurde ein neues Passwort für den Spieler steenstar angefordert. Wenn du dein Passwort nicht vergessen hast, kannst du diese Mail ignorieren. Klick auf den folgenden Link um ein neues Passwort zu setzen.
Link: http://www.the-west.net/?page=change_password&mode=change_password&hash=<deleted>
http://www.the-west.net

Shoundn't you translate your own stuff also? Or are you also lazy and perfres writting your native language?:)

That my 2 cent. Gute aben und viel spass.
Steenstar

You can use an external forum if you wish, no harm is done. It's the fact harassing anyone one this site could get the creators and owners of this site in trouble. Do it on an external forum, and it's out of their control so they wouldn't be able to get in trouble for it.

From http://teenadvice.about.com/od/schoolviolence/a/cyberbullying1_3.htm
However, if you get even one communication that includes a threat of bodily harm or a death threat the police should be alerted. Be aware that urging suicide is considered a death threat and the police will treat it accordingly. Obviously, repeated or excessive harassment via email, forums or chat is harassment and should involve the police.

For those who don't live in the US, cyber bullying laws are already put in place, and many other countries also have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.