How to fix dueling problem (+ help duelers)

DeletedUser

Firstly, I want to say: I'm a dueler, and I duel all the time. It's may main source of income and XP.

My problem is that you lose 3% motivation every time you duel...

You gain 3 energy per hour.
24 hours = day
- the 8 hours of sleep
= 16 hours of dueling.
16 hours * 3 = 58 energy points gained

This means you can duel 13 times a day MAX. Lets lower it to 10, since you'd have to be online very often for that to work.

A dueler gains 12% motivation per day, and if they duel 10 times that day, they have a total loss of 18% for that day. (My update changes that to 8% for that day)
After 5 days, your almost at 0, and well, you gain no XP.

Comparing this with workers

Motivation drops by 3% per 12 energy with a duel.
Motivation drops by 3% per 12 energy with jobs.

Seems fair? Well, no, it's not.

You can do over 100 different types of work, each with a different type of motivation!! (E.g: You can have 50% motivation with 1 job and 100% with another)
And many jobs are similar. Workers, therefor, don't really have to worry about it... just change job type every now and again.

But with duelers, there's only 1 type of motivation. And it's for every town.

So, how do you fix this?

Simple! Make it so that motivation is separate in every town!

In one town you might have really low mot. (because you dueled there alot) and in another town it might be 100%, because you never dueled there.

This is what the formula should be.

You gain 18% motivation (as a dueler) [21% for premium duelers and 15% for other classes] per day in EVERY TOWN. (Was 12%)

When you duel in a town, you lose 9% motivation FOR THAT TOWN ONLY and another 1% in every other town.

If you had 100% mot. in every town and you dueled in TownA this would happen...

Motivation of TownA: 90% (Lose 9% because you dueled there, plus the general 1% is added onto it)
Every other Town: 99% (Due to the general 1% deduction)

Therefor, duelers would also move around a bit more causing workers in certain towns to have a good chance of a break for a while!

Problems with this

The main problem is fitting the perfect motivation increase time. Due to the general decrease in all towns, it has to be low.

Also, people might not agree (especially duelers)

Please discuss and post any suggestions you might have!

DeletedUser

you know duelers can work jobs too. people who dump the skills into blue or red can actually do some pretty decent jobs between duels. there your problem is solved without any update.

DeletedUser

I don't understand- If you are only dueling, shouldn't it by 16 hours of sleep per day, since you can easily burn 60-72 energy in 1 hour with 5 or 6 duels.... I don't agree with motivation for each town, but since a duel really only takes 10 min, I think a 2 motivation point loss would be fair. But I also think the money you retrieve should be reduced by motivation, and there should be some sort of limit on how many times you can be attacked by different people in an hour.
Something like 1 attack per hour base, with 2 extra anytime attacks for every attack you've made in the last 24 hours. Or perhaps the every popular "you can't duel or be dueled by anyone for 2 hours after you LOSE a duel"

As to why people like spudly feel no sympathy for your plight, imagine if I wrote-

I am a builder, and I get most of my xp from building, which means I never have any money. I think I should have seperate motivation for each building in town, so I can build faster. Since building costs me money, instead of making money like people with outside jobs, I should never lose any money when people duel me, or I die.

DeletedUser

Although i think the dueller class is underpowered, this is not the solution. A simpler solution would be to scrap duelling motivation for duellers [they would still be subject to the same energy restrictions]
The big drawback with this is that it forced duellers to spread their attentions around as many different towns as possible. This is a disincentive to inter-town wars......and they are one of the few things remotely resembling fun on this game.

Like the intent but not the mechanism and unintended consequence.

DeletedUser

Something I think might help duelists more would be raising the number of dueling experience needed to raise the dueling level. I do like the fact that my level 40 dueling doesn't mean the same thing as the dueling level of someone who specialized in combat skills; on the other hand, I think it raises too fast so duelists have to duel with people who have been able to invest a lot more attributes and skill points in defense (or offense if they don't use them for dueling much).

It just seems like the way things are now encourages duelists to challenge lower level characters so they don't advance so fast they have nobody left to fight. Sorry if this should have been posted separately from this suggestion.

DeletedUser

You are both right and duelling needs to be made so that there is a positive incentive to get high up rather than not. It also is ridiculous imho that in addition to using their energy on duelling duellers have to cope with duelling motivation. To choose dueller ought to end motivation as a constraint. After all your energy only allows 7 duels anyway, not even counting health loss.

I'm not sure what the solution to the query you raise is artemis, perhaps it is as simple as knocking back the rise in duelling level to about half what it is now so that duellers advance less quickly.

All I know is that I'm a good boy and don't very often attack smaller players. As a result of this I'm ranked 5th in duelling. You'd think that would be an advantage not a disadvantage! but it isn't

DeletedUser

I agree with the original post . It would solve what most agree is a problem .

I would even say "Duelers" should regain motivation half again as quickly . They currently regain at 120% of other players , that would make it 180% . There was I believe a post in another thread , a suggestion about "Duelers" not losing motivation if they win a "Duel" . There are I'm sure other options to be looked at .

As for the disapproval so far .
For the "tough get a job" argument , they have chosen a job , just because You disapprove of it dose not mean the game should not treat them fairly .
For the "It would hinder town wars" argument , it's less detrimental to them than the current system . Fighting the same people over the same ground is sapping to ones motivation , battle fatigue , war weary , operational exhaustion and shell shock are some of the terms that have been used to describe it . So the "flaw" You see , I see as an acceptable reflection of the facts of combat .