Town Events/competitions

DeletedUser

maybe there should be only one fair at a given time in any world? Towns should bid for the right to hold the fair. Exactly what happens at the fair, why a town would hold it and why people would go is still to be explained.

DeletedUser

i think multiple fairs would be fine.... i mean there are more then one traveling carnival in america... but restrictions would definately make it feel more special.

DeletedUser1105

It would HAVE to be restricted, otherwise it would be an easy way for people to get discounts, and as a way of getting people to visit different towns. If it was too easy/too often, people wouldn't need to travel far to find a town with a fair. Some kind of rarity would be needed.

I think we have agreed it is a good idea though, but it needs details now.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the games to be played, and how they would work?

DeletedUser

hmmm...... flash games? like the shell game, horshoe toss, ummmmmmmmm i dunno just cheesy little things for fun and prizes.

and i think that it should be a 3 week blackout cycle with a town hall of level 5 minimum. so i build my first fair, the moment it is done begins my 3 week build blackout. it cost me 400 labor points so this better be good! its great, it runs for a week, and everyone loves it. the moment it ends begins my 3 week fair blackout. so technically i would have one week to build my fair before it could become active. does that sound good? maybe town hall level 10? what are fair fair restrictions? get it? HA!

DeletedUser1105

*groan* ;)

I think it should only be available after a certain level, definately. The town hall one sounds good, seeing as that is the building that is not upgraded as much as the others in most of the towns I see.

I don't quite understand your blackout idea though, but I am struggling from lack of sleep today, thanks to my little girl :)

I'd say you can build it whenever you want (it costs a lot to build). Once it's built, you can decide when to start it (but it must be within 7 days of it being built). Once you start it, it runs for 7 days. At the end of that, the fair packs up an leaves. Then you cannot have a fair or build a fair for at least 4 weeks. Then you can re-build it (again, it costs a lot). And the cycle continues....

DeletedUser

the thing is who pays for the prizes?
It just dilutes the whole idea to have more than one fair at a given time.

DeletedUser

IF this is to be implemented then it should be that only the founder can have the task of building it, using money from the treasury, but they only have to do one long 4 hour work task and then its up for 1 week, down for 4 weeks, and then the founder can decided to rebuild it. (Obviously it would cost a lot)
Possibly also have it so a Founder could appoint someone to the task as well.

Looking at it from the map there could be a different look etc.
Minimap would show a tent instead of a red dot, from the overview(if you're near the town) it would be decorated etc.

All money gained during the week goes to the town treasury.

DeletedUser

Town fair proposal

1.Towns build a building called 'the fair'
2.Individual players may drag and drop items from their own inventory into a building called 'the fair' this is very like selling items apart from the fact that no fee is received.
3.Whichever town has the largest value of items in 'the fair' has an icon which looks like a tent instead of a red dot appear on the minimap.
4. Players not from that town can 'buy' a random item from that shop by paying a fee of $10 which goes directly into the treasury. When all the items worth over $100 are gone the fair moves on to the next town with the largest value of goods in their 'the fair'

DeletedUser1105

Are people going to put expensive items into a fair so that the town can earn $10?

DeletedUser

As far as fair restrictions go make it so their can only be one or two fairs per square at a time this would keep everyone from having one.

DeletedUser

Are people going to put expensive items into a fair so that the town can earn $10?

If you get a random item, people may just but tobacco leaves into the fair and make a butt load of money by selling it!

DeletedUser

As far as restrictions go restricting it to one on a map is good, makes it more special.
let's say you put in 100 tobacco leaves and one union flag.....see what i mean?

DeletedUser1105

I see exactly what you mean. Everyone will fill thier fair with low level crap and everybody will know this is the case and not bother going. I wouldn't pay $10 for a 1 in a 100 chance of finding a flag. I get a 2 in a 100 chance by actually doing the Guard Fort job, AND get a little XP and cash into the bargain.

DeletedUser

I like the idea of competitions and events more.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

It's like a seaside slot machine, there are tempting things in there but you have to keep putting coins in the slot to get them. Don't forget that the selling price of an item is only an eighth of what most people need to pay, so you are recycling unwanted stuff. towns that put nice goodies in the kitty will get loads of sales. Also some items needed for quests [such as the flag] don't fetch money on a trade in but would attract a LOT of customers. This lucky dip is as good as a town makes it. Also only the town with the HIGHEST value of goods gets the fair.....so there will be real goodies.
Let's say someone is desperate for the flag, they see it available in the raffle so they keep buying tickets but don't get it [like a fairground stall really] so they go and work nearby to get money for it.
Really there is a lot to this if you think about it in practice. It is also a roundabout way to trade and sell your own goods in your own stores as many people want without as much potential for abuse.

DeletedUser

I like the idea...

maybe a certain town hall level required before having the option

and then being able to do it....

eventually towns will be maxxed out, and then what?

this is a perfect thing to add for that purpose

DeletedUser

good idea, then it doesn't have to be a special building

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Seems something good here but besides all that you already discuss here, something else must be taken care of. Low level playes should not easily win high price items easily.
So here some restrictions.
"Town fair" starts using what you all talk above.
For 1-3 days Town or Towns or Players put items in "Town fair".
For example all items worth 100$.
Town that holds the fair will now sell the tickets. Town will decide the number of the tickets. But the total sum of all the tickets should be e.g. 150% of the total value of all the items.
So the more tickets the Town decides to sell the less expensive they will be.

For the next 1-2 weeks tickets are sold but no gifts are revealed. When all tickets are sold, gifts are randomly given or none at all depending on luck.

(if not all ticket get sold......need more time to think what happens other than the fair is canceled...)

100% of the profits goes to the towns treasury (since they have spend a lot making it) and the rest 50% just goes to taxes.

Thats it.
(you must make it fair for which town gets the Town Fair of course....should not be always the big towns however so some kind of rotating should exist(something fair any way))

DeletedUser

i think the town members "donating" items isnt really the way to go. i think that it should be games of chance kind of like "anti jobs" where instead of getting paid in money and xp, you pay money (or even xp!) for a chance to win an item. i think the real draw would be the discounts applied to the stores for the time being, and i think that if its hard enough to build, but worth the effort, everything will balance out.k

DeletedUser

Town fair proposal

1.Towns build a building called 'the fair'
2.Individual players may drag and drop items from their own inventory into a building called 'the fair' this is very like selling items apart from the fact that no fee is received.
3.Whichever town has the largest value of items in 'the fair' has an icon which looks like a tent instead of a red dot appear on the minimap.
4. Players not from that town can 'buy' a random item from that shop by paying a fee of $10 which goes directly into the treasury. When all the items worth over $100 are gone the fair moves on to the next town with the largest value of goods in their 'the fair'

i like the idea about drag and drop items especially and the others but 4 needs a little work on it as the price of $10 as mentioned by someone else may not be enough. I think the fair should be restricted also that in each square on the map the towns compete to host the weekly fair!
if it was one fair per world then some towns may never get the chance!