Primary text: Geena
Secondary text: Heja Sverige
Theme: something Swedish

DeletedUser

I'll be needing a siggy.

Dimension: Signature
File type: JPG
Primary text: Rilly Rob
Secondary text: "Serenity is not freedom from the storm, but peace amid the storm”
Theme: Storm theme.
Extras: Hurricane/Storm in the background.
Image Link:

DeletedUser5046

dee... can i request a forum sig...

File type: JPG
Primary text: west angel XIII
Secondary text: *its up to you*
Theme: Storm theme.
Extras: bloods and bats
Image Link:
;)

take care

DeletedUser

I would like to request a siggy if one of our talented artists has the time to make one for me. Thanks

File type:
JPG
Primary text: Mythro WWW-New York
Secondary text: If We Build It, They Will Come
Theme: Worker, town construction (old west of course)
Extras: Dusty western theme

I am not really picky, I would just like a smooth looking siggy, as I am not that talented in this department =)

DeletedUser

Is this thread working? Are people getting their avatars and sigs made?

DeletedUser

People need to stop asking for JPG formats, PNG increases the quality and is soooo much better.

DeletedUser

I didn't know either till about 2 months into GFX then got it beat into me xD

DeletedUser

Dimension: Sig and Avvy
File type: any - best quality
Primary text: FurryIceCubes
Secondary text: Cold as Ice
Theme: In keeping with the name
Extras: No specifics

Thanks in advance ;)

DeletedUser

i'm still waiting:)
I'm using stock siggy would like something more personal

DeletedUser

Dimension- Siggy
File- Type png
Primary Text- RAWDOG
Secondary- None
Theme- Military
Extras- I dont care

DeletedUser13113

People need to stop asking for JPG formats, PNG increases the quality and is soooo much better.

That's just an opinion (the soooo much better part), as PNG's can have a larger file size than a jpg. PNG's were created to replace the GIF format, not the jpg format. Comparatively, there are pros and cons to both png and jpg and each must be weighed by the end user. If it involves transparency, then png is the way to go (over gifs, unless you are designing for IE6), as jpgs do not offer that option. But when it comes to flat images (not just graphics/line art/text) jpgs can have better quality and be a smaller file size; you have to experiment on the export options to see which looks better vs file size.

I didn't know either till about 2 months into GFX then got it beat into me xD
The problem with pngs for web use is that it isn't accepted in older browsers, like Internet Explorer 6. There is some coding that you can do to get it to work, but that's not the point. Whoever "beat it into you" was wrong. The web is all about accessibility. Unless you don't care about that, there needs to be some consideration on what's the better format for what you are using the image.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

meh, let's clear something up real quick. lossy compression is a compression format that cause a loss of quality in a graphic. lossless compression is a compression format that leaves the graphic intact (no quality loss).

JPG is a lossy compression graphic format, which means it uses approximate matches of repeated strings in order to compress the file, thus causing a loss in quaility from the original. However, this sort of compression allows for very small files, which is important for web use. I find an 80% JPG compression to be optimal, allowing the highest compressed quality, whilst providing a very small file size.

PNG is a lossless compression, although some programs allow you to impose a lossy compression, which further compresses the file, at a loss as above. There really is no reason to use lossy compression for PNG, and most people do not.

TIFF is a lossless format that usually leaves you with a huge file, not usable on the net, but is great for print. However, for print purposes, I convert everything to PDF, print standard, just to make sure the printers don't override and flip colors.

Other formats exist, of course, and while some are old (gif), others useless (bmp), there are still others useful for different purposes (stitch, etc). For the purposes of net use, GIF is still a valid format if your art has limited colors (256 or less). Converting vector graphics to GIF is recommended. PNG and GIF both allow for transparency, but PNG is better because of the lossless compression (again, this assumes the original graphic more than 256 colors).

For print, what matters most is pixel count per square inch. The higher the better, but too much and the printer will **** a brick, your graphic program will slow to a halt, and your newborn will have gone to college. More on this later.

Status
Not open for further replies.