Bounties proposal

DeletedUser

Bounties proposal

1.The founder of a town has the choice to pay from the town treasury any amount of money in units of $240 to place a bounty on any player they wish.
2. These bounties then appear in the rankings.
3. The player who kills the player with the bounty on their head receives one third of that money as a reward.
4. The player is then held by the town that placed the bounty for a period of one day per $240. During this time the player may not duel or work.
5. If more than one town has placed such a bounty then the captured player has to serve time in each town.

Jailbreak
1. If during the time a player is held ‘in jail’ all of the players from the town holding him are unavailable to duel [due to sleep or knockout] then the captured player is released and the final 2/3rds of the bounty is paid to the player who delivers the final knockout.
2. If the captured player serves out their full term without being sprung from jail the final 2/3rds are paid back to the towns that placed the bounty.

Please feel very free to amend the wording and make suggestions

DeletedUser1105

Maybe change number 2 to:
2. These bounties then appear in the rankings (or possibly in a new, 'Bounties' page).
Number 4 needs an upper limit. A very rich town could put someone out of action for weeks at a time. How about 3 days?
For number 5, does the bounty hunter recieve a third of ALL bounties on the player, should multiple towns place one? Again, this one needs an upper limit, because if three towns put a bounty on for 3 days jail time each (see point above) then that's 9 days someone may be unable to play the game for. Maybe a 5 day limit for multiple bounties?

Other than that, that is a very good proposal. Let's see what others say, and then you can edit your post to fit in with all agreed points, then let's get this moved to the developer forum.

DeletedUser

I'm not sure that there needs to be an upper limit. let's say someone had a hundred days of jail. Well that would be $16,000 for whoever released him/her. Are you telling me that no one would manage it in that length of time? The inbuilt balance is that the bigger the reward for capture, the bigger the reward for jailbreak is AND the longer the captured player has to be defended for.

A third of ALL bounties is what i had in mind. Exiting!

DeletedUser1105

So, anybody can spring someone from jail? I get it now.

Ok then, there needs to also be a list of 'Convicts', so people can see a) who's in jail b) where they are held and c) how much is available to spring them out.

However, I can't help but think you are paying for your own death. You put up $240 and then someone comes and knocks you out to gain $160 of that?

DeletedUser

I wouldn't have a list of 'convicts'. Therefore the information about who is in jail would be hard to track down.
Again the balance comes in that a small town would only be able to afford a one day bounty........and perhaps would be ill-advised to go for a larger one, for the reasons you mention. Don't forget it is actually impossible for gunfighters to attack players much below them. Also don't forget we have Soldiers, who are strong in defence. So this is a real role for them. You have to get through the soldiers to release the prisoner.
By the time anyone has got around to doing this the time will most likely be up or the prisoner will be in the next town.
Sure this entails some risk on the part of those putting up the bounty but with good organisation they will likely prevail.

DeletedUser1105

Ok, that's fair enough. What if I come from a small town, but annoy a big town? They and all of their 'family' towns all put a bounty on my head for the fun of it, so I end up with a massive jail sentence. I would never get out, because my town couldn't free me, and nobody would see if I was in jail to come get the big bounty.

I think there either needs to be a limit on length of sentences and/or a list so people can see who is in jail. Otherwise these forums will be awash with 'Please come and free me' threads.

DeletedUser

If you come from a small town and you go annoying big towns it is entirely realistic that you would be put in jail.
We would indeed need a special section about this where prisoners would plead their case.it would be interesting.
i think that you are assuming that there is a bottomless pit of bounty money. Don't forget that towns that want to put enough money up to put a player in jail for say ten days will be foregoing a lot of potential build for that, they won't do it lightly and they certainly won't do it for ten players. they also have to balance a long jail term with the fact that the longer they try and hold someone the more likely it is that they won't succeed.
Typically I'm envisaging 3 or four smallish towns putting up one days bounty each. Perhaps if we have it that the bounty jail term goes sequentially from town to town, then it's going to be very difficult for the people who wish to spring the prisoner.
What i particularly like about this is that there is actually an advantage to smaller towns because many of their players will beneath the duelling level of those who wish to free the prisoner.

Let's take the example of your town 'little norway' there is no one in your town who i can duel.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

At first I was opposed to the long "jail time" , but Ulthor has just about got Me on board .
I'll look this over again in a while to see if I can find a weak spot to attack .

DeletedUser

Maybe they could add a job called working on the chain gang, and have it only available to prisoners. It could give no money but some experience and chance of finding items. Otherwise, I don't like the idea of people being banned from the game (not being able to do anything) when they haven't broken any rules.

DeletedUser

I really like this idea it is well thought out and seems to have the right balance for each side

DeletedUser

ulthor i think your off here. and you know we usually agree. i think this system would be abused to hell and back. example A: i make thomas mad in the forums. he runs the 5th biggest town on world 2. he puts a huge bounty on my head, and gets all his friends to do it too. he or his buddies kill me. i spend the next 45 days in random jails, while they made all their money back, and i quit playing. i get out, and they do it again. nobody will spring me because they are scared of the towns strength, and all my friends are too low of level to duel.

this example is just one of several horror stories i can think of. if you want abalanced bounty system there has to be a guaranteed loss for the bounty parties involved. heres another abuse example:

i have a builder. hes an awesome builder. but hes not a good dueler. i start a second account and make a dueler. hes an awesome dueler. i use him to make everyone really really mad at him. i antagonize them until they put big bounties on me. then i strip my character down and beat him with my builder. i just made a bunch of cash and let my secondary character rot.

example 3: my friends and i are duelers. we pick one of us to be the bad guy. we goes around killing everyone until hes got a hugebounty on him. then we kill him. we get loot, then we break himout of jail. he spends no time in prison, and we rob everyone we were robbing before.

agaon, just a few of the abusive ways to manipulate a bounty system.

DeletedUser1105

I didn't think of that, but I think example number 3 would be a big one.

DeletedUser

I like the idea in general, although I believe there may be some tweaks necessary. Someone brought up a good point, that if a player is completely unable to play the game for an extended period, without being due to the breaking of rules, then that would seriously hamper the growth of the entire game. On the other hand, it may well promote the idea of team play and players taking the time to get to know one another in an effort to gain friends that would be willing/able to break one out of jail, should the need arise.

Yes, there is potential for abuse, as is the case with any idea but I truly do not see where the previous example 3 is that big of a deal. The reason being...
You and a couple friends are duelists.. one is picked to be the bad guy in order to be put in jail. Fine, a point was mentioned where a huge bounty is placed on him, you kill him and break him out of jail, and receive the money...
The problem with this is.. it is not your friend that you have to beat, it is all members of the town. If it is a large bounty, then theoretically he would be held in a large town, decreasing the chances that all members would be either asleep or KO'd at the same time. The more members in the town, the less likely it will be that noone will be available for dueling.

This being the case, it would be imperative to allow some sort of jobs for the prisoner to do, so that experience and items could be earned but money could not. This way, the player could still participate in the game, raise their character abilities with experience, and possibly find an item or two. This would help prevent those players from simply walking away and quitting the game, but it would also allow towns an opportunity to "punish" the "outlaw" that has been picking on their "weaker" members.

DeletedUser

ulthor i think your off here. and you know we usually agree. i think this system would be abused to hell and back. example A: i make thomas mad in the forums. he runs the 5th biggest town on world 2. he puts a huge bounty on my head, and gets all his friends to do it too. he or his buddies kill me. i spend the next 45 days in random jails, while they made all their money back, and i quit playing. i get out, and they do it again. nobody will spring me because they are scared of the towns strength, and all my friends are too low of level to duel.

this example is just one of several horror stories i can think of. if you want abalanced bounty system there has to be a guaranteed loss for the bounty parties involved. heres another abuse example:

i have a builder. hes an awesome builder. but hes not a good dueler. i start a second account and make a dueler. hes an awesome dueler. i use him to make everyone really really mad at him. i antagonize them until they put big bounties on me. then i strip my character down and beat him with my builder. i just made a bunch of cash and let my secondary character rot.

example 3: my friends and i are duelers. we pick one of us to be the bad guy. we goes around killing everyone until hes got a hugebounty on him. then we kill him. we get loot, then we break himout of jail. he spends no time in prison, and we rob everyone we were robbing before.

agaon, just a few of the abusive ways to manipulate a bounty system.

Example A; I think you are assuming a very unreal scenario there. You have to remember that big towns got big by building and NOT by pursuing pointless vendettas -is not in their interest. You are ignoring the fact that in order to hurt you they have to hurt themselves. I'm not very up on how building works, can anyone tell me what 45x$240=$10800 will buy? I know it buys my gear 5 times over. The idea that they just call up their mates who all are also prepared to forego all kinds of possible goodies just to punish you for being cheeky pre-supposes powers on their part that they just don't have.
And let me tell you mate if there is that kind of money to be made by springing you, then a lot of people are going to be giving it some VERY serious attention. It is certainly possible that this scenario could [and should in my eyes] exist. BUT it would not be routine, it would be a major plotline and would spark a lot of talk and a lot of action.
So sorry to dissapoint you Keighlon but you just aren't worth it! People have irritated me on this forum but never so much that it was worth punishing them at the expense of going for a more logical or challenging target. Anyway you wouldn't quit because it would be really interesting trying to get yourself sprung!

'They made ALL their money back'- incorrect they lost a third of it a mere $3,600. That is the guaranteed loss you seek.

As for you builder, well he's cheating and if people cheat they can gain all kinds of advantages in all kinds of ways.

Example 3. I'm kind of sorry that you spotted it because I was going to do that! It's the plotline from 'the good, the bad and the ugly' isn't it? Sounds like a blast to me!

I'm definitely prepared to concede points on this idea, but for the moment am arguing the case for the proposal.

Usti I'm kinda holding out for a hardline punishment because the more it hurts the prisoner the better it feels for those punishing him. It would not be right if the prisoner was going up the ranks while those who successfully imprisoned him were not doing so well. The winner has to win and win big. I'm an aggressive dueller and am a lot more likely to end up in jail than most people!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1105

I just think that if a big town holds you for a long time, you may struggle to be busted outta there, as there will be 50 people to get through.

DeletedUser

I don't know how often you click on big towns but there are often only 2 or 3 people available to duel. Don't forget that big towns have other issues than this one to contend with. They are all pretty much at war most of the time. They are also constantly at prey from visiting gunfighters, So it would just be a question of finishing off the stragglers. I'm not saying that would be easy but it is more likely to be a case of finishing off somewhere between 3 and 10 people than the fifty you suggest.
Have you noticed that people seem to be almost equally concerned that it is both too difficult AND too easy to spring someone from jail? Anyway, don't forget these are 'bad' guys, they should burn in hell.

DeletedUser

ulthor you missed the part where the towns' duelist caught me, therefore he got the bounty right? meaning the members of the town now have a way to keep me trapped indefinately without losing any money. its just got too many abusable flaws. im all for a bounty system, we just got to come up with an unbreakable system.

DeletedUser

Sorry i reread it and still don't understand how anyone is trapped, can you explain again? Which of your scenarios does this happen in?

DeletedUser

I would like to see the opportunity for the incarcerated to free himself . Allow them to work jobs difficulty 10 and below . This is the only money they can access . If they can come up with half the bounty , that payment and time served allows release .
This allows the nogoodnic to gain very little exp., but possibly find a few items , and gives a light at the end of the tunnel .
Sound proposal Ulthor .