Just some stories about the new rule.

DeletedUser

I played TW sometimes ago. Once a new server opened (can't remember which one), I join a guild/group main formed by some Taiwanese which had some good reputation. They managed that group very well. There are many foreign players other than Taiwanese joined them. They had the major forum in English. If those who could not speak English well, then someone will help them to translate the post for those who could not understood Chinese. They also had a Chinese forum for those who could not speak English well to discuss/tutor other players. After that, some other nationality persons demanded for dedicate forum for their language, which they got in no time.

What's the problem with this? Everything went fine until they applied the English only rule! Those who could not speak/write English well were basically forced to leave the game. No matter how good those gamers were, they just left because of this stupid rule. After they lost a lot of good players, that group were basically dismissed.

Now another story. Once I heard a story, can't remember which game, that there were father and son playing the same account. When the son went to school (high school, I still remember this one), father will take over to fight other players, leveling up or expanding the empire or anything like that. Sometimes in the night, the son might be studying, the father would help him in the game. So, what's the special part of this story? The father were in 50s, and he didn't know how to type Chinese to communicate with their friends. All he knew about responding to other players were typing 'Y' and 'N' ('Yes' and 'No'). The father and son do enjoy playing game. Do they have to speak/write English very well to enjoy an online game?

Does this game 'text' only so that you have to read English well to have fun in this game? Every item has picture/numbers on it. You don't need to know what it is to use it. When you complete a job, you don't have to read the text to know how much money you made, how many experience you got, and which items you got. If only you have eyes, you knew what you got. English? Not necessary. So, are you going to say that they did not have the same fun as you did?

Now tell me, when did you really looked at every words very carefully in your report except the very first time? When you open the report, which things get your attention? Do you really need to know English to understand the report?

From what I heard, people don't speak English just need to be taught by their friends about which icon stands for what meanings, then they could enjoy the game. Since all the online games had all those icons and numbers all over the screen, you just don't need to understand any language to enjoy game play. Why do you want to create an English Only game?

It is true that they tried to make it an English game. That is the power of the Internet that made people from all over the world to access to the same game you were playing. But do they have to read English to play it? As I mentioned above, they don't. Do they have fun playing without understanding English? I bet they just had the same fun as all you guys.

The English Only rules just suck! It has nothing but negative effect!

If you felt offended? You can always found it out by asking. You think all Chinese are saying the same language? I will tell you another story for the conclusion.

The OG has the Chinese and Taiwanese version. Some players from China or Hong Kong like to join the Taiwanese games. If a Taiwanese throw some Taiwanese on these players, then they won't know what had been spoken to them. What did they do? Accept it? Do nothing? Ask for go to help? (The go may not aware of the meaning as well.) What did they do? They just hard copy the original message to the forum and asked for help/translation. There are always people there to help out. Could not understand Taiwanese? No big deal. Just ask for help.

My point is: why do you need to create an English Only game? Totally meaningless.

DeletedUser

This isn't in response to the main message of the thread but wasn't it against the rules for the dad to play the son's account during the day anyway? I'm pretty sure it's a bannable offense to let someone else use your account.

DeletedUser1105

As long as the dad didn't have his own, seperate, account then it is within the rules. You are sharing the same account.

DeletedUser

Let's reverse the rule and make it like the real old west!!!

Every town will be OBLIGATED to have a chinese forum.

DeletedUser

oh yes because every town in the real west was obligated to have a Chinese forum!