Fewer towns and bigger map

DeletedUser

What would be cool is if a town gets to a certain size, it starts taking up more "space". Any 'found town' icons within a certain radius of it disappear and if a nearby town (in that radius) folds, it doesn't turn into a ghost town, it just disappears.

Are you sure? Cause I was agreeing with the poster completely, and if it is true, it's surely gonna change my mind about "fewer towns".

How did you get this information?

DeletedUser1105

Are you sure? Cause I was agreeing with the poster completely, and if it is true, it's surely gonna change my mind about "fewer towns".

How did you get this information?

He was suggesting an idea, not saying what is already in place.

It was a good idea though.

DeletedUser

yeah. it was just an idea. I'm no authority. Yet..

I just think it would be better thank a blanket "less towns" idea :)

DeletedUser

Part of me says...yes! Fewer towns...make it like the real west. But there are some issues with this.

Remember, this game is a business. Fewer towns...but no spots to make a town. Newer players will not get the full playing experience and leave without spending their $$$.

So, have the same amount of towns, make the price higher so there are not many 1 player towns. Like that would stop anyone.

Esthetically, it would be pleasing. From a business model, probably not the best idea. The best suggestion is to keep the same amount of towns and enlarge the map.

DeletedUser

So, have the same amount of towns, make the price higher so there are not many 1 player towns. Like that would stop anyone.

Do you mean price as in nuggets? It would stop me.

Or in west dollars? Cos it's always bugged me that a donkey costs three times as much to buy as a town...

DeletedUser

No...west dollars. The only way I see this happening is to widen out the map...but that only increase game play time...and this is a considerably slower game than a lot of MMORPGs.

DeletedUser

I agree, the east side is over populated. I mean, its not even like todays America! Its also exteremely laggy in the east...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Cos it's always bugged me that a donkey costs three times as much to buy as a town...

Why? A pair of really good horses cost ~$250 in 1880, oxen cost $100; 160 acres of land cost $5 to file claim on and another $5 to prove up on 5 years later. Land in town came free with each claim. $15 for a good young mule wouldn't be too surprising.

The economics of settling America were weirder than most people ever guess.

DeletedUser

What if ghost town buildings slowly were destoryed. Like everyday a building level was downgraded, this would keep happening until there would be nothing left at all. Then at this time the town would need to be re-founded and more work would need to be done. So this would cause people that may not want to start a town from the start to make more towns. This may help the too many towns problem.

DeletedUser

Seeing so many towns (red dots) in one square just looks ugly and not like real wild west. I suggest we limit number of towns per world or per square in map. Also, make founding a town much harder. More money, time and so on. When distance from one town to another is 2-3 minutes then it just looks stupid. So, lower number of towns and make greater distances between cities. It will look more realistic and plus this way rail road (one of the icond of wild west) would finally make sense.

I feel it is a good time to refresh my idea. How about fewer towns, bigger map, more ranches?
Above idea stands but ranches would be added. If you don't want to live in a city wich has 1000 ppl in it, found yourself a ranch and invite up to let say 4 friends.
Ranch could have bank-safe, store-cheaper and primitive style, town hall-main house, hotel-sleeping room and so on...
Ofcourse these building would have smaller effect then "real buildings in big cities.
In this case map could have filter or even without it it would probably look good and real.

Later, idea about ranches could be worked even deeper but for beginning I think developers would have too much difficulty with implementing them as more or less they would only change graphics and lower few building bonuses.

DeletedUser

Since the worlds are now closed there are a finite number of players and there will plenty more ghost towns in the future as inactives get booted and lower level actives start to merge towns.

There are so many towns with 5 people ... when people start realizing how much better they'll be if they were 1x town of ten instead of 2x towns of 5 ... it will take time but it will happen.

DeletedUser

I am trying to understand this, but I'm not sure- you want fewer towns because the mini-map looks ugly with all the red dots? (East is more settled because the Founder towns were on east edge- people wanted to sleep in hotels to level/earn money faster). Or is it that you are tired of seeing other people working the same jobs as you? You feel there are too many other players on your screen?

All these things are GOOD for the duelers- lots of targets, not too far away. If the towns are too far apart, then you're going to have duelers staying in your town, attacking your fellow townsman 4 times per day. The 2 reasons I imagine most of them became duelers are 1) it beats working and 2) they enjoy proving they're the better fighter. I think more of them for the first reason, which is why you see so many threads trying to figure ways they can earn MORE money.

I personally think 50 players is too many for one town. But if you figure 40,000 players, and 40 territorys, thats 1000 people per territory. Eventually that might develop into 25 or so towns of 30-50 players each, especially if town combat gets implemented. (I am not looking forward to town combat... seems to me it would develop into something like tribal wars...)

Since the other towns/players have no affect on your rewards for jobs, I don't understand your objection. Unless you're trying to make it a two-teir game? Just like you can't duel another player until they join a town, you can't attack another town until it has 30 people and 40,000 construction pts?

DeletedUser

You missed my point completely :confused:. I would like this game to feel more real. Old west didn't have towns that were apart from each other by few minutes. There were plains, deserts, wooded areas and such. IMHO it would be much more interesting ih there were fewer towns and bigger map. As it is now, horses almost don't mean anything and we all know how important they were back then. If towns would be further away and map was bigger horses would become more important as it should be. I don't remember any western movie or documentary where cowboys walked from one town to other :D. Also, this change would be great for implementing rail road wich is idea that many ppl here support. RR would also add to realism as it was one of the most important parts of the old west.

As for duellers; well you could ride in a town of 1000 men and have fun. Lot's of fun ;).

Also, this idea would make world more competitive as ranking of towns could change faster and plus, town forums would be much more lively and better.

Hope this is a bit clearer now.

DeletedUser

I don't remember any western movie or documentary where cowboys walked from one town to other

The Good, The Bad, And the Ugly: Not of his own choice, The Ugly is forced by the Good to walk all the way back to down in the desert without water. Later in the movie the Ugly returns the favor.

Which hits on something; there is a lack of desert towns and the map looks fairly patchwork. You would think that one half of the map would be desert like with the north being green. I am sort of against removing towns; and making the map bigger may not come due to server load. But other touches of realism would make me happy.

DeletedUser

i think the map needs to be bigger for shur , atlest 30 min. away from one another.. and i think a few less town too

DeletedUser

ya next world have 1/10 the the towns.

and don't allow rotations.

DeletedUser

For all of you that missed this thread. Please leave your comments.