Town missions

DeletedUser

Howdy folks,

My friends and I have been discussing the West for some time now, and we all agree that the game itself lacks a certain .... goal. Being an experienced role player and sometime game designer, I feel that the creators of this game gave a lot of thought to the vibe of the game, which I enjoy. But the end stages of the game seem less appealing. I noticed that some of our ideas to solve this, were already present on the forum. But, there was one I haven't noticed yet (and yes, I could be wrong :eek:)

Town Missions

Similar to the town shoot out idea, the aim of adding such a feature would allow the members of a town to bond more, and to enjoy something together. The idea would be to start out on a mission with a predetermined minimum of people, all from the same town. The mission would consist of several stages or chapters, and would aim to make people depend on each other for fun and advancement, combining needed skills and items to make a mission succeed. Maybe an example of a possible design would illustrate better what I mean:

Event 1: all members of a town with 10 members receive a notice for a mission/quest/story * (I pick story as an example). Everyone who wants to join in, can subscribe to it. The maximum number would depend on the mission, varying from 2 to 20 members or some such.

example: the first Story would be to investigate rumors of a ghost in a collapsed copper mine. The members of the town go off to investigate it. this mission allows for 4-6 people to go.

Effect: activity increases, as people hope for a nice mission. If participation is limited, they will jockey to partake in the quest.

Event 2:
Four people accept the quest. Once they accept, they will receive a message where they can click to start the quest. They must go to their town, and go to the saloon. Once the minimum of people have pressed "start", the mission starts. So in other words, that could be with 4, 5 or 6 people.

Effect: more forum activity, as people discuss who to send, and a little bit more politics, as groups form within groups.

Event 3:
The players travel to the copper mine: first part of the story, where they must cross a big lake to get to the other side and the ghost mine.
Skills to pass the first stage must include a shared skill of 40 swimming, 40 health, and a strength of 30. For example eh :p

Event 4:
Once they reach the other side of the lake, the adventurers must hide from a group of bandits.

Needed skills: hiding pool of 40, combined mobility of 30.

Event 5:
Fighting in the mines with rogue pioneers come to steal the town's copper, who caused the rumors of ghosts to scare away people.

Needed skills: health 50, aiming 50, shooting 40

If the group completes all stages, they get a reward. In this case, maybe something like a permanent income for the town of 10 gold per day.

While on the quest, the players cannot do anything else for a predetermined amount of time, for example 12 or 24 hours.

Rewards can vary from quest specific items to special bonuses for the town, or temporary items (gold bullits, anyone?).

How would this work for InnoGames?

Obviously, creating these quests is a lot of work. But... what they could do, is to sell these stories to us, the players, as a sort of premium points. And people can turn in complete quest stories for premium points as well. So I could write stories in different stages, and hand them over to a mod. The mod checks for balance, sends it off to the programmer, and a quest is born. Given ample participation from the community, there could be hundreds of quests within a couple of months. And if they're good, they wuld keep people playing for ages.

So, in short, why would this work?
-continued playing pleasure for non-dueling classes (adventurers and builders), as they are necessary to complete quests
-inceased team play
-increased income for InnoGames
-increase in playing fun, as these quests would add a new dimension that will stay interesting beyond maxing the town and dueling the **** out of other people.

Long post, I know. Hope y'all like the ideas.

*they could even be different types: missions for more violent stuff, like robbing banks, bounty hunting and so on, stories for more historical events, and quests for more spiritual stories. With the game set in the Wild West, there should be enough inspiration to keep people revved for years.

DeletedUser

Oh I love this idea of town missions. I guess the method of implementation and the details can be worked out but the general idea to keep folks interested and town players united is a good one.

Individual missions/quests right now are easy to complete - if the player has a certain level of intelligence and commitment to the game, he/she will be able to advance fairly quickly. Town ones however, would require teamwork but also build more lasting friendships and camaderie. And that is often a reason why some people stay playing the game for a long time.

Kudos for this idea :)

DeletedUser

Roadmap to sexyness

yes i like this idea alot there could be alot of good possibilities for quests for this good job :D

DeletedUser

Says lots of things that sound good

How would this work for InnoGames?

Obviously, creating these quests is a lot of work. But... what they could do, is to sell these stories to us, the players, as a sort of premium points.

The last part is where you will struggle though as there are enough posts on here complaining about the cost of the premium account as it is let along a new lot moaning they can't do the new quests unless they pay for them

The other down side that would need to be worked around is 1 town member wants to do it and the others don't or can't afford to pay the extra

DeletedUser

I think it is a good idea and there could be increasing levels of participation required. For example 'all of your town members have to sleep in another town's hotel at the same time' this would actually favour smaller towns.
The way in which i don't like it is that it defers the day when they have to make this a self-sustaining game. If all that happens is that zeros get added to the figures for identical activities, then that is boring indeed.
Anyway good luck, it's a new idea and would certainly increase the sense of community, which is rather absent at the moment.

DeletedUser

Love this idea! I am an adventurer and I would like some more group participation. Especially since my personal quests are running out and I am getting a bit bored at doing the same jobs over and over again.

What I really miss is doing things together, although some of our town members post in the forums, it's hardly comparable to forums of games which have more group participation. I don't know the other players at all, and there isn't much need to post in the forums as all go their own way.

I feel The West is a more solitary game at the moment, and I think it is a good idea to change that. Otherwise I could go back to playing tetris.

DeletedUser

It's kind of a team-bonding exercise. perhaps paintball will arrive soon in the form of 'shootouts'.

DeletedUser

good idea. Maybe there could also be different possibilities to complete a mission?
For example a group of duelers could fight the bandits, or if the group had a high hide rating they could choose to hide,...

DeletedUser1105

I didn't particularly like your example, but it's only an example, right?

It's a great idea. It would definately add more to the game, and add to the town's community spirit/morale. As with single players, the quests could trigger when the town reaches a certain points level, and then you can accept the quests and go off and do them.

DeletedUser

Thanks everyone for the positive response. Looking at the forum right now, I can see that a change in the game is probably necessary to sustain it.

Whether it is my idea, or one of the others out there is not all that important. As I play a duelist myself, I intend to at least level to lvl99. I hope Innogames comes up with a refreshed approach to the game by that time, because I am pretty sure that all the towns will be ghost towns or maxed towns by then, and that we'll see only duelists on world 3 :eek: