an end to the dueling arguement?

should greenhorn be reinstated, and the class abilities be raised?

• Total voters

DeletedUser

OK. so i have been thinking. many people have a problem with not wanting to duel. i think i may have found an answer to this.

they took away the greenhorns ability to not be duelled because people were hiding behind it. well what if we went the other way?

this is my proposition:

REINSTATE the greenhorns non combatant ability. if people dont want to fight or be fought then thats their choice.

AND...

DOUBLE the benefits of classes, OR add more benefits to them. that way there is a serious advantage to picking a class, but for the truly noncombatant there is an option to avoid duels.

what do you guys think?

DeletedUser

I don't want less duels. I want more. I want to defend the weak when they're being preyed on by the cowardly.

If you think people are asking to hide you're not paying attention.

DeletedUser3741

I voted the 2nd option without bothering to look at the question or even what the topic is about

DeletedUser

It seems pretty plausible. Is there a downside, would it unbalance the game in some way? I kinda like it. Soldier's benefit should be re-examined, they seem more favourable than the other three...but yes, may be a great idea....and well done for originality in such a simple idea!

DeletedUser

thx ulthor. your the only one who doesnt smell like feet.

what do you think is unbalanced about the soldier benefits? i dont remember them offhand. and what do you think a good level would be for balance? is double too much or not enough?

DeletedUser

The soldier benefits are geared to defense, good in theory, bad in implementation.

DeletedUser1105

I definately think the benefits need looking at. It sounds great with a 10% here and and 5% there, but in reality it only adds 1 or 2 percent to your chances. They are not really worth having.

So yes, more benefits would be good. And then yes, the greenhorn status would be available, but would not be worthwhile because they would miss out on benefits.

DeletedUser

thats why it works. it gives people the option to remain untouchable, but makes them pay for it. that way people cant complain... it was their choice.

DeletedUser

That's why i like it. if you add up the soldier's benefits they add up to more than the other classes.

DeletedUser

I don't know anyone who plays this game so they can stay greenhorn... certainly none of the folk in our town.

Maybe just eliminate CLASSES altogether and let people be known by their DEEDS not their catagory.

DeletedUser

the problem with making character classes too good is that if you make a dueler 50% better at dueling then they will be able to defeat people way better than them in theory at least anyway.

DeletedUser

The advantages duellers currently get does not make them at all better at duelling, so doubling it wouldn't have that effect.

DeletedUser

Creating both an 'off' switch for PvP and exaggerating the abilities of the classes seems like a plan for worse problems.

A better solution might be to give Soldiers a 'Job' to 'guard' towns and townsfolk. If a Dueler comes to town and initiates a duel there could be a percentage chance based an the guarding Soldiers stats that they 'intervene' in the duel and take the defending players place.

That provides 'some' protection for towns without reducing dueling overall, provides additional 'risk' for duelers trying to just cherry pick the weak workers in a town and gives those who want to 'defend' a roll without having to resort to harassing attackers in order to convince them to move along.

DeletedUser1105

The guard town option is definately a good one, and needs more discussion. I like the theory by Mytht above. Could you increase the percentage by, say, upgrading your skills? OR by upgrading a new building 'Guardhouse', maybe?

DeletedUser

there is tons of people who hate fighting cause they cant duel right why not? if they bring it back there should be a mass message if you want to become a greenhorn...

DeletedUser

Creating both an 'off' switch for PvP and exaggerating the abilities of the classes seems like a plan for worse problems.

A better solution might be to give Soldiers a 'Job' to 'guard' towns and townsfolk. If a Dueler comes to town and initiates a duel there could be a percentage chance based an the guarding Soldiers stats that they 'intervene' in the duel and take the defending players place.

That provides 'some' protection for towns without reducing dueling overall, provides additional 'risk' for duelers trying to just cherry pick the weak workers in a town and gives those who want to 'defend' a roll without having to resort to harassing attackers in order to convince them to move along.
I hate the original idea of this thread but this is good. It makes anyone who attacks weak builders think twice when attacking a large town.
Big towns offer protection and only the most badass duelers can afford to attack people in big towns... just like real life:)

DeletedUser

that brings some issues into play though... what if the soldier is asleep? what if there are four soldiers in the town? what if the soldier is higher level than a dueling challenge would normally allow? what if the soldier is low on health and traveling to the hotel when he suddenly gets pulled into a duel and dies? what if your soldiers dead? what if your soldier is out constructing windmills and has all his building clothes on when he is dueled? what if he is walking to town to deposit all the money he made when he is pulled into a duel and beaten? what if two people are duelled in your town and he gets pulled to defend both at the same time?

DeletedUser

These are all good questions.
1. if the soldier is asleep he can't duel.
2.if there are 4 soldiers in town the highest one steps up for the duel.
3.If the soldier is too high a duelling level then he can't duel.
4.if the soldier is low on health he dies
5.if the soldier is dead he can't duel
6. if he has his civvies on tough.
7.if he has money that is good luck for the dueller.
8. If he gets pulled into more than one duel so what?

So there is definitely a downside for the soldier, which is only right and proper.

Maybe he should have to have clicked a 'defend town' option?

DeletedUser1105

How can the soldier be elsewhere? He clearly says that it would be a job for them to do. They would queue up 'guard town' as a job. It would have some sort of money and xp attached in case of no duels.

Then he can't possibly be working elsewhere, and he wouldn't queue that as a job without duelling clothes on and high health.

As for duelling level, there should still be a gap, but maybe that gap increases by a couple of levels for soldiers specifically doing the guard town job, to give them a better chance of intervening.