Seperate Jobs and Dueling Item/Equipment Tabs

DeletedUser

Part of the biggest divide between those on either side of the dueling discussions is over the ability to attack players that are greatly at a disadvantage. Duelers have placed all of their stat points for the greatest benefit to winning duels. They also are wearing items and equipment that further spike their PvP advantages. Tradeskill players have spread their skills between Job requirements and PvP skills or have focused exclusively on Job related skills. Their clothing is also chosen for bonuses that boost job related stats to perform jobs that would otherwise be out of reach. The end result is overly one sided fights that are not fun from a game standpoint and poorly translate the historical accuracy of how uncertain the outcome of an Old West gunfight really was. The 'best' gunfighters often were lawmen, soldiers, and working cowboys...they just didn't use gunfighting to make their living.

The class advantages of the Duelist are already geared to make gunfighting more economically feasible as a source of income. The ability to cherry-pick easy fights due to the above stacking of stats and a current inability for the soldier class to 'guard' a town or it's occupants as seen in the many threads is causing a great deal of argument and frustration between players.

A workable solution that would add depth to the game and be implementable without creating new 'guarding' game mechanics by utilizing existing game features would be to create separate sets of items and equipment for tradeskilling vs dueling that all players could use.

Tradeskill tab (Bonuses to Job Related Stats)
  • Hat
  • Necklace
  • Shirt
  • Pants - rather disturbing that no one in The West currently wears pants :blink:
  • Boots
Dueling Tab (Bonuses to Dueling related stats)
  • Jacket - Duster, Vest, Poncho, ect.
  • Bandoleer
  • Belt
  • Weapon
  • Spurs
With 2 completely separate sets of items and clothes for tradeskilling and dueling, those attacked while "on-the-job" are not so absurdly ill prepared for a fight as is the situation under the current game conditions. A duelist will likely still be at an advantage due to base skill choices, but not to such an extreme. Also this to some degree would reduce the cries to block dueling entirely and perhaps even draw more players into a dual dueling and tradeskilling playstyle increasing the amount of PvP and Old West 'feel' to The West...rather than the current squabbling over creating two separate camps that either want the other side to shutup, die, and fork over the money:mad: or just be left alone entirely to play Sim Old West Town.:huh:

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1105

That is a good solution. But who can afford two outfits? I have to save and save and save to get a decent shirt that gives me the skills needed to do a certain job. Then I'm probably going to need to buy a different one after that, so buying duelling clothes would not be my priority.

I fear this would be the truth in most cases. It would be a good idea, but not one that people would actually use much.

Then again, some people may be able to afford this. If they can, they should have that option, I believe.

I'd vote yes, but probably would not use it.

DeletedUser

yea that would be good to do that way u r always ready for anyone

DeletedUser

As nice as it would be for some i dont see the avrage joe being able to aford it. In a way it would put the Duelers at at a greater advantage because duelers probably arn't going to buy tradeskill cloths but tradeskillers will need to buy dueling cloths to stand a chance.

DeletedUser

I like the concept , but so far it seems many wont see it as piratical .
Possibly a hybrid of this , using only the current character template . Hats and necklaces for fighting , shirts , boots , and products for work .

DeletedUser

as i stated it is a good idea but maybe for future updates

DeletedUser

i dont know that doesnt sound like a bad idea at all. i know that although you may not be able to afford that superdeawsomo bandana from the tailor, you have a buttload of clothes in your sack, and some advantage is better than no advantage at all. you could set up a maximized dueling uniform from the stuff you own, so that even if your working at least you had the best chance possible.

DeletedUser

I suggested something along these lines in an earlier dueling thread - the ability for a player to designate equipment for dueling which is automatically applied when they are challenged to a duel and taken off once the duel is completed. This would only apply if you are the defender not the attacker - it's up to you to be wearing the best clothes for a duel!

I guess it would mean adding 10 minutes to job working time to allow for the interruption of the duel, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

DeletedUser

I somewhat likes this idea, since it comes down to priorities.

Do you want to be safer against duels, or do you want to get that item wich may unlock a more difficult job?

Somewhat an extension of the choices one make whilst building the character.

DeletedUser

I don't know. It would make it easier for richer duellers, cause they could also do other jobs. But poor guys should have to save up some more just for duelling. And it part of the game to attack your targets at the right time, although its not very noble to sneak behind someone like that.

DeletedUser3741

You understand the severe amount of rebalancing that would be needed, right?

DeletedUser

sorry to interrupt,but whats a bandoleer and a spur,ive never heard of them,

DeletedUser

Why did you ressurect this thread without adding anything new to it?

DeletedUser

Not utterly opposed to the principle but highly sceptical of the practicality.