A Use For Produce

What do you suggest as a new use for Produce items? (Feel free to select more than 1)

• Nothing, I'm happy with them just being sold for cash, used for quests and nothing more.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I'd like players to be able to learn a trade, where they can create certain items from produce.

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Extra buildings in town where you can 'forge' produce into better equipment for sale/use.

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • I like the premise of there being another use for Produce, but I think the idea needs more thought.

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeletedUser

From my post in this thread - http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?p=45943#post45943

To give a realistic purpose, maybe the produce you sell for cash would then belong to that town (i.e. cannot be taken out/bought by members/players for quest completion). This would open up a whole new potential feature;

i.e.

town's general store has bought 20 pieces of corn.

this town can now sell whiskey.

OR

town's general store has bought 3 pieces of cloth, 1 pair of handcuffs, and 1 Rusty shot gun

this town can now employ a Deputy.

Because so far, produce is useless except for selling for cheap, or for using on like one quest.

Also allows for future buildings, like a town could build a factory where they could turn produce like tobacco leaves into tobacco to sell, or cloths into saleable clothing items.

thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Something along these lines would be good.
At the moment there is a very straightforward relationship in that goods=money.
However, if, as you suggest, various combinations of particular goods were needed to unlock attainments the game would be more interesting.
Coupled with that a regional and restricted distribution of certain items [or information] would create an interesting dynamic.

DeletedUser

neat, i always though of that happpening, my freinds ddint like the idea to much

DeletedUser

Sounds very interesting. Nice idea but IMHO we won't see this implemented for a very long time.
Anyway, at least we can talk and hope :rolleyes:

DeletedUser

The thing to do is to keep bouncing these ideas about for a while and see what gains popularity. There's no point people going to the trouble of recoding until an idea has been thoroughly debated.
What is certainly true is that this game could be dramatically improved by some perfectly do-able modifications. Just some different maths for the boffins to calculate.
It's not like we're asking for it in 'first-person photo-realism' [now there's an idea!]

DeletedUser

@ Ulthor - so true. any decent gameteam will know its the player community that makes the game in the long run, money can't buy that volume of QA and idea-poaching as in a public beta. The good games come from the teams that listen to genuine discussions and debates of the player community, only problem is, team is probably limited in how much time they can spend reading the German boards, nevermind this one :(

tbh I figured they'd have already thought of this type of feature anyway, if they didn't then well, too many mathematics graduates and not enough creative (or just people with common sense) on the team imho.

It only sprang to my mind cos the game so far has some pretty typical MMORPG elements as is, especially for a BBG. Of course its of an RPG leaning, but it has those MMORPG elements such as pick a class at level x, distribute pts into a skill tree each lvl up, make guilds, argue over builds, etc etc,

so why not go the whole hog and implement a forge feature?

Maybe even players could pick a 'trade'. What dueller wouldn't want to make his own guns out of produced materials that are otherwise useless asofnow?

I know its cliche, but then so is doggystyle, and that works for both parties :p

DeletedUser

i really like this idea
you should make a poll to bring it to the designers attention

DeletedUser3741

I suggest a use for products as that certain jobs requires them equipped to be able to do the job

DeletedUser

I think it should be town buildings, but it should have to be donated items. instead of selling them, this gives it a tradeoff.

DeletedUser

i think a better way for this to work is not to make new things but to make a new building the items would be stored in that people can buy so they dont have to work hrs for a quest , they could buy the stuff sold to the town for there quest .

DeletedUser

Or at least make it so shops make their items with bought materials. But also make it so the town treasury is affected by buying and selling of things and services. Right now towns seem to be just big cash cows with no risk except duel pwnage. Making an actual economy would put some skill into the game and make it a little less copy/paste

DeletedUser

My perception was also that there are such obvious ideas for games development out there that it was only a matter of time before they were introduced. Sadly it does not appear to be the case. If you picture the development team on this, I’m guessing about four friends who have now brought in maybe ten more people. Then they are far too busy sorting out crashes, problems with paypal etc to be checking out what happens on the English-speaking forum.

There does seem to be a pervasive and rigid ‘Germanic’ approach to things.
‘This quest is hard but you will do it no matter how boring’
Truly great games allow for fluidity in play. Almost all were nineteenth centuary British developments of traditional games; football, rugby, cricket, tennis, ping-pong, rounders, golf. They all changed and are still changing to improve playability. [do I win the prize for the most off-topic yet?]

Anyways I like the original idea and all the subsequent suggestion.