Language rule change

See thread

• Total voters

DeletedUser

Following feedback we are going to run a poll that will influence the new rule.

We are prepared to amend the rule to let town's continue to speak in multiple languages as long as they are prepared to keep one forum where participants can discuss things in English. The rule about denying people access to your town based on their nationality would still apply.

This will achieve our goal of making The-West a friendly environment where all English players can feel at home, whilst letting others be able to use whichever language they are most comfortable with in their town.

If you would like this amendment to happen, please vote yes. If not, please vote no.

DeletedUser

The reason to vote yes is so that all the towns with players from very small countries who do not have their own version of The West and will not likely ever get their own version have a chance to participate in the game.

There are about 30 of the top 200 towns on W-1 who fall into this category and if you don't speak Arabic, Lithuanian, Korean or many other languages then this will not effect you since you wouldn't have gotten into those towns in the first place. Some of the people in those towns speak very little English and if they want to have foreign languages in their forums then it isn't hurting anyone.

If you can't find one of the other 170 towns to join where English is the predominant and probably only language spoken in the forum then the problem lies with the player.

These might be the "US servers" and English might be the "universal" language, but Inno and the players who vote no need to realize that we live in one world and share one internet with people from hundreds of countries on these servers. Playing games like this is how many people come to learn English and since that is good for everyone in the world then we all benefit in the long run.

The West surely will never have versions for everyone and since these servers have to accommodate players from all over then the rules need to be written with everyone in mind.

I can understand Inno wanting to keep say as an example French servers with only French speakers because players from other languages have a choice about playing on French or US servers where everyone should be welcome.

If players need to communicate with the Support Staff then they should obviously be required to do so in English.

--------------------

In this post Morthy says:

"It's fine to send telegrams in any language as long as the recipitent can understand."

But yesterday Gem stated:

"When investigating a ticket I go into an account and verify some things. If all the forums and all the mails are in another language I cannot get a good idea about the player, which I must do to help complete the ticket."

Which is correct ?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I know you probably didn't intend this thread to be discussion but in the rule post Morthy says:

"It's fine to send telegrams in any language as long as the recipitent can understand."

But yesterday Gem stated:

"When investigating a ticket I go into an account and verify some things. If all the forums and all the mails are in another language I cannot get a good idea about the player, which I must do to help complete the ticket."

Which is correct ?

Telegrams are indeed allowed to be in a different language, it was confirmed today. 99% of the time we don't even need to check mails anyway ;). Apologies for those I confused.

DeletedUser

One more question; How long will this poll run?

DeletedUser

Complexity

Following feedback we are going to run a poll that will influence the new rule.

We are prepared to amend the rule to let town's continue to speak in multiple languages as long as they are prepared to keep one forum where participants can discuss things in English. The rule about denying people access to your town based on their nationality would still apply.

This will achieve our goal of making The-West a friendly environment where all English players can feel at home, whilst letting others be able to use whichever language they are most comfortable with in their town.

If you would like this amendment to happen, please vote yes. If not, please vote no.
Perhaps it would have been more suitable to write the options in a simpler language, making it easier for all to understand:

Following feedback we will ask you this:

Should towns also be allowed to write in another language than english on their town forum? Vote above!

Note: We are prepared to amend the rule to let town's continue to speak in multiple languages as long as they are prepared to keep one forum where participants can discuss things in English. The rule about denying people access to your town based on their nationality would still apply.

DeletedUser

I vote Yes

The amendment as written seems fair. My vote is yes.

DeletedUser

I'll second Arsdfarg's opinion about the changing the wording, and

If this amendment goes through, I'd also suggest a change in the town forum setup to start towns with 2 forums instead of 1.

I've joined many a town where the Mayor didn't know how to create a second forum. I know it is very obvious to most people, but I guess not to everyone.

DeletedUser

There are players in many countries around the world who play the West frequently, and, although English is necessary for simplicity, these players should not be denied anything regarding to their native language. I vote yes!

DeletedUser

Normally I would vote for something like this, but I've seen it go badly in too many games, so I voted No.

On top of how it effects the game play, I have no idea how the admins would police a forum in a language they didn't understand.

DeletedUser6439

Normally I would vote for something like this, but I've seen it go badly in too many games, so I voted No.

On top of how it effects the game play, I have no idea how the admins would police a forum in a language they didn't understand.

True. True. However, with all of this money they are making from the overpriced premium; translators should not be a problem. Or, moderators that know several languages. The only concern I have is players abusing this rule and breaking posting rules w/o moderators knowing.

DeletedUser

How is it different from them policing in-game mail if all languages are allowed as per todays addition to the rule changes ?

DeletedUser

I actually find this rule even MORE fair, than just letting people do whatever they want :)

And I believe that Mods are able to find people who can translate any language if it should be necessary.

DeletedUser

I dont think so... most towns find it hard enough to find members alone... somone who would be trustworthy enough to police those forums AND translate would be even harder...

At this point, i voted no, had the game been more populous (which to my understanding, efforts have been made to that demand) I would have voted yes.

DeletedUser

I voted no for one simple reason, it is impossible to ensure all information is available to all members if multiple languages are used. Even if a town has English forum and forum in another language, things might only get posted in the language most the town members use, leaving others out.

DeletedUser

but I'll not invite forigner

and I'll make anoter reason for them

like "we don't invite member few day"

or "we don't need more member"

our

but I'll not invite forigner

and I'll make anoter reason for them

like "we don't invite member few day"

or "we don't need more member"

more tna 90% of our town member is korean

our forum write to english is right?

DeletedUser

Yes...

I think there should be as long as somewhere in the title of the forum thread it says something like ("Town's Language") or something.

DeletedUser

voted yes:)

we need to be able to speak what ever language we want to.

and sins its so easy to find a new town you whould allways be able to join another town if you think you are left out becus of the language they are speaking.

P.S
why make the vote so hard to understand?
i had to google the text before i was able to understand it.