Can you Design?!

• Thread starter DeletedUser3717
  • Start date

DeletedUser3717

Hello all,

I know I rarely post in this section but me and Gem have discussed a Certain issue, We need more active people within the "Campfire Section" So here by I am requesting something from you guys :)

I will be needing you! Yes you! to design me an advertisement for the Campfire Section to make it more active so it can be better than it is now, Just send your design ideas away in here and the best one. Which will be chosen by the team and used as an official advertisement for Campfire Section!

You may submit more than one idea, The idea must be for the Campfire section.

Apart from that have fun :) Letss goo!

DeletedUser

Any preference on size or anything? :)

...hmm

Edit:

How's something like this:

Campfire.png

Critique away, it's my first attempt.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser14280

Not bad at all. I couldn't do something like that.

I could edit something like that, though.
Here's a sig-sized, blank-slate version of what Becca did, if any of you want to make an advert of your own.
campfiresig.png

DeletedUser3717

Size does not matter :)
But those two entries look great!

DeletedUser14280

I'd say that getting the slogan right is important.
It explains in one short sentence what Campfire Stories is about, so...yeah.

Here's a quick idea for a slogan:
Cowboys, ninjas, aliens. You tell the story.

Oh, and what about an animated advert? I see them all the time, links to webcomics and et-cetera.

DeletedUser8627

I'll give it a shot, just hope there is no time limit on this, I'll only get this sorted out in a day or so.

I would suggest a banner like on the top of the forum index rather, but I'll give examples of what I come up with.

DeletedUser

I love some of the ideas here. Size doesn't matter too much - but as this will be in a window ingame it can't stretch the user's screen.

• "Cowboys, ninjas, aliens. You tell the story." by celxius is a lovely idea and really illustrates the possibility of roleplay.
  • I also love Aremis' "everybody has a story to tell", as it really puts forward the image of community spirit which is exactly along the lines of what I feel the forum should have!
  • "we supply the tinder, you supply the spark" is lovely too!

As for imagery, a campfire is an excellent idea! I am a designer so I can help on a lot of levels with this aspect, be that typography or stock.

Should the ad be western themed? What colours represent roleplaying best? Is roleplaying really sitting round a campfire telling stories? Are there any other imagery that would be better?

If you can't design, helping with the concept is something anyone can do! :)

Oh, and what about an animated advert? I see them all the time, links to webcomics and et-cetera.

Animation tends to multiply the file size and reduce quality, but it's a possibility if there are some animation talents. It would have to be subtle, but in my opinion a still image would better hook in RPers.

I say this because you don't use imagery in RP, rather imagery in your head / imagination, and animation may hook the wrong kind of people in who expect the creativity done for them

DeletedUser3717

I love some of the ideas here. Size doesn't matter too much - but as this will be in a window ingame it can't stretch the user's screen.

• "Cowboys, ninjas, aliens. You tell the story." by celxius is a lovely idea and really illustrates the possibility of roleplay.
  • I also love Aremis' "everybody has a story to tell", as it really puts forward the image of community spirit which is exactly along the lines of what I feel the forum should have!
  • "we supply the tinder, you supply the spark" is lovely too!

As for imagery, a campfire is an excellent idea! I am a designer so I can help on a lot of levels with this aspect, be that typography or stock.

Should the ad be western themed? What colours represent roleplaying best? Is roleplaying really sitting round a campfire telling stories? Are there any other imagery that would be better?

If you can't design, helping with the concept is something anyone can do! :)

Animation tends to multiply the file size and reduce quality, but it's a possibility if there are some animation talents. It would have to be subtle, but in my opinion a still image would better hook in RPers.

I say this because you don't use imagery in RP, rather imagery in your head / imagination, and animation may hook the wrong kind of people in who expect the creativity done for them

Gem you took the words right out of my mouth :)

DeletedUser20688

Is it possible to get exact dimensions of what you need for the advert? My concern is the design not reducing correctly especially in regards to any copy/typography in the design. The other issue in that regard is avoiding any unnecessary cropping of the original design.

Thanks!

DeletedUser14280

We do need to know where the advert is going.
Are we going to stick it in our signatures, or is it going to be a banner ad, or what?

DeletedUser8627

Is it possible to get exact dimensions of what you need for the advert? My concern is the design not reducing correctly especially in regards to any copy/typography in the design. The other issue in that regard is avoiding any unnecessary cropping of the original design.

Thanks!

There is no limit so you can go wild to whatever suits you.

We do need to know where the advert is going.
Are we going to stick it in our signatures, or is it going to be a banner ad, or what?

Presumably this will be in an announcement thread in campfire stories with the nice image displaying. :)

DeletedUser

I like them all so far, I'm thinking of taking up this sort of thing, I hope to at least learn them well enough to know how to use them properly lol.

Hopefully soon i might be able to spend more time on the computer life is busy...

DeletedUser

A friend suggested I try to make it a "prettier sunset", how's this? :)

Campfire2.png

DeletedUser14280

Campfire2.png

Campfire.png

Eeny-meeny-miney-mo...

I'm not sure that either of those is best.
I think it might look better as a golden sunset, and slightly darker.

Actually, the sun isn't visible in the picture...do you think it'd look any better or worse with the sun in it?

DeletedUser

Er, not exactly an easy thing you're talking about. That would involve me removing the sky and the water, replacing them while keeping the reflection exact in the water. If I had hours to work on it, maybe, but not likely.

I Couldn't just add a sun in the sky without modifying the brightness of the water, the silhouette of the trees and adding detail where there currently isn't.

Though I did think of one thing I could change, it should show up in my 2nd version momentarily.

Edit: There, done. Can ya spot the 2 changes? hehe

DeletedUser14280

Active Forum Members (at time of post): 1,543.
Forum sections to post in (not counting sub-sections, Western Star, or Competitions): 21.
Number of members we might expect to come along to each section: 74.

Number of members actually active in Campfire Stories: Call it 8?
Time since last post in Campfire Stories: 44 hours!
Campfire Stories forum ranking by most recent post: 19th/21.
Is this bad? Yes.

Solution: Get to advertising!

I think we should use Becca's design for now, it's more than good enough to work for the short term.
Let's take it and shove it in the Broken Saddle, if we haven't already.

Speaking of which, a google search for "The Broken Saddle" doesn't turn up promising results.
Can someone work on that?

DeletedUser8627

Has anyone got a proper header of this. On a black background this does not show too well.

DeletedUser8627

This was the basic idea what I came out with. Just lost the touch in it somehow.

But enjoy :)

campfire.png