Dueling Option: Challenge or Ambush

Do you like the idea of two attack options for dueling?

• No. My reasons are my own

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • No. I hate change, and I hate consequences.

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Yes. It allows good guys to be good and bad guys to be bad

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • Yes!!!

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Well... I... hmmm.... read my post below

Votes: 4 5.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser4547

Dueling Option

I think this would cause more problems than it would solve.

You're right. This game is so full of holes there is no sense in shooting it again!
We must adapt,improvise,and overcome just as the pioneers before us did.

DeletedUser

Maybe the 'challenge' business could only happen realplace realtime? That is to say you both have to be online and in the same place. It should also come up live for others in the town, including visitors, to see. i'm liking this....does it work for you guys?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1105

That would work. It wouldn't be a major difference then. If you are online at the same time in the same place, you can duel. Maybe when you accept the duel you have a set time to sort your inventory out (2 minutes or so) and then the duel happens.

It should also come up live for others in the town, including visitors, to see.

This is the 2nd time you've mentioned wanting to watch live duels. What is so fascinating about being able to do that?

DeletedUser

if you sneak up on a guy, wouldn't you have a better chance to hit him during the first round?

DeletedUser

Not watching them live just getting the results live. What i'm envisaging is that there are six people playing poker and more in the poker-room watching the game. Then one guy, whose been losing big,[as it were] throws up the table and starts a gunfight with the guy who took his money. It would be exiting. Others might also start scrapping and it would be good to actually know it was happening.
kman i guess you are right but the whole idea of these kind of duels would be that you somehow got an additional benefit from not 'shooting a man in the back' I'm gonna leave it to the proposers of the idea to say how it might work in practice. maybe you just get double experience points for a consensual duel?

DeletedUser

Missing the point

if you sneak up on a guy, wouldn't you have a better chance to hit him during the first round?

Depends who you're sneaking past, and what they decide to do about you if they see you... hide, watch or get involved. If you come into my house in the middle of the night don't be surprised when I assume you're up to no good and I shoot you dead. If you attack a member of my family and then wait around for six hours until my daughter wakes up so you can slap her and steal her purse... don't be surprised that I want your head on a platter.

maybe you just get double experience points for a consensual duel?

I have no problem with this, but it doesn't address good guys dealing with bad guys, just gives the bad guys another perk. I'm not looking for a perk, the current problem is not a lack of duelers willing to play the part of lawless desperadoes - I'm looking for a risk or penalty for criminal behavior.

DeletedUser

its called getting shot.

Right shot by the weaker non-combatant who you pick on while you avoid the folk that could actually do you harm... the harm being limited to lower damage since they don't carry the weapons you do and you banked all your cash before you came raiding... I get it.

You're a case study in why I want it fixed.

DeletedUser

It would be great, unfourtunatly so would almost the other suggestions that are less deatailed and easier to be introduced.

DeletedUser

Sure

Either you were kidding with that last crack or that was an incredibly rude remark.

DeletedUser

the game is designed for people to choose individual paths for their characters. why do people who choose noncombatant lifestyles whine about it? i am not a dueller, i am a non combatant character, but i could have been. it was MY CHOICE to spend my points in different ways. it was MY CHOICE to wear my construction shoes instead of my combat boots. its MY CHOICE to not visit my town and lose more money because i was too lazy or impatient to drop it off.

DeletedUser

And what did that diatribe remotely have to do with my last comment?

DeletedUser

thx ulthor. and the original comment had nothing to do with you prudhomme, thomas has somehow taken it into his head that i am some sort of duelist or evil genius preying on newbs because i dont think the system needs a complete overhaul. hes taken several shots aimed my way in other posts, and this is just another one. all of these dueling posts have the same flavor to them. "i cant fight because i am not a duelist, so fix it to where they cant hurt me, or get penalized for hurting me". i hate that. its a very good part of the game that is not unbalanced, and i dont know why non combatant characters feel the need to waste time and energy trying to change it.

in a western movie, you dont see the town mayor grab a gun and shoot the bad guy do you? no. he gets robbed and whines about it, then he gets the sherriff to do something about it. everyone has a role. if the role you chose does not suit you, start over and pick a new role, or enlist the help of someone who can help you.

DeletedUser1105

To be perfectly honest, we know that sherriffs are going to be added to the game. That's a given. We don't know how it will work though.

Trying to discuss how we should change duelling is pretty pointless until that update, because we don't know how it is going to be.

DeletedUser

Misunderstanding abounds

i dont think the system needs a complete overhaul
That's one option. The DEVs can keep a tiny game (basically tribal Wars with spurs) and never touch on any of the great themes and motivations that made this time period so fascinating. Teen boys from around the world will stop by for a few week to stat bump their avatar and commit online crimes from the comfort of a workstation someone else paid for... then they'll move on to the cooler fare.

all of these dueling posts have the same flavor to them. "i cant fight because i am not a duelist, so fix it to where they cant hurt me, or get penalized for hurting me". i hate that.
You hate it? Why does it violate your sence of JUSTICE?

Actually i play a COMBAT character, who has never lost a duel (so far) or a dollar to a robber. You've completely missed my point. I'm not "whining about myself". I would like the ability to protect the weak and my friends.

...in a western movie, you don't see...
Robbers ride up shoot, steal, run... Robbers ride up shoot, steal, run... Robbers ride up shoot, steal, run... Robbers ride up shoot, steal, run... Robbers ride up shoot, steal, run... Robbers ride up shoot, steal, run...

Eventually a hero shows up, and rallies the weak to put down the lawless. That is how the West was WON.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1105

People should stop comparing the game to western movies because

1) Movies are not real and
2) This is a game, not a movie. It needs to entertain in a completely different way.

DeletedUser

... in a completely different way...

One of these days, sdjx22 and i will find something to agree on. But as stated I have to disagree again. "a completely different way" would move you out of the Western genre.

the best games are blurring the line between passive "movie-watching" and active, but story-less "avatar-buffing"

I would like to see MORE story based elements in the game

Perhaps sdjx22 will agree with this. There are many Western movies, a successful game will provide outlets for players that like different films from the brutal (Good Bad Ugly) to the heroic (Pale Rider) from the quirky (Silverado) to the epic (Lonesome Dove) from the adolescent (Wild Boys) to the character driven (3:10 to Yuma). build that and people will come play and stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.