Graphics Core Challenges The West

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Yes, but that hardly means it's OK to use. Unless specifically stated, copyright artwork requires the copyright holders written permission to use said artwork in any way, commercial or non-commerical. It's the intellectual property of the copyright holder, to be used how they want it used.

I'd like to see the face of Bungie managers if creators of all the Halo sigs out there would mail them asking for a written permission. And I personally got Halo game just because of the sheer numbers of its use in sigs all over the net ("if it's that popular, must be any good").

It all comes down to common sense, really. You're quite OK to use something if your actions don't harm other people interests. Of course, copyright holders still have the right to ask to remove the work if they think it's not in their interests. It's not a big deal to take down a sig or two if you're nicely asked to do so.

DeletedUser

Actually, they have the right to demand. Infringement on other people's work is a common scene, no doubt, but that doesn't diminish the wrong of it.

Anyway, the reason this discussion started was TSA's statement of not using art from Deviantart because it is copyright protected, when in fact much of the art used in these sigs (including Halo graphics) is copyright protected. So, really, you have to better define what is / is not okay to use. Not very logical to say, "it's okay to use this copyright protected material, but not that copyright protected material."

DeletedUser

Of course, you should never use copyright material but they are not going to exactly charge you millions for using an image of theirs in a signature.

Just use a render of planetrenders if you are really that creepy about copyright.

BTW, I am Radarr. I have forgotten my email and password for the 'Radarr' account, or someones using it.

Come on guys! It's just a small challenge.. and I'm terrible :|

DeletedUser

Right, so you're saying any copyrighted material is okay to use. Yes, no?

DeletedUser14280

I think it's alright to use copyrighted material, but you have to give obvious credit.

DeletedUser

Forum rules don't allow any copyrighted material to be used. So basically no, you can't use them here. At the very least we can not encourage you to use them.

DeletedUser

Dear god. Do all you people here lack something in your brain. Do you think when people make signatures that they make EVERYTHING from scratch? If you're worried just use Planetrenders.net

DeletedUser13113

Are we still moving forward with the deadline of the 17th? Or since we (the-west) don't have a fourth member, are we delaying the entries until one can be found? Just wanted to know what my timeline is on the sig.

DeletedUser

It will be extended if you actually get some people willing to, so far all half the people have done is complain about copy right, this isn't a debate challenge you know? So you in or out hell? And you guys need to tell us the theme before we can make ours xD

DeletedUser

TSA, it wasn't a complaint, it was a request for clarification and you haven't clarified.

The Sexy Assassin said:
-NO RIPPING! All work must be the made by the 4 members of the team!
-NO PREMADE WORK
-Renders/C4Ds allowed, no taking stocks from places like deviantart without permission from the owners.
  • Ripping means to copy all or part of someone else's work.
  • Premade means anything, as everything we could get off the internet is premade.
  • Renders/C4D renders are copyright material, unless you made it yourself or special permissions were provided for people to copy.
  • No using stock art that is copyrighted, or just art from places in some special hidden list you're holding onto?
I'm going to be blunt TSA. From the behaviors you made, in some of the other contests in this community, I don't trust you and that's why I'm trying to make sure you don't pull a fast one and switch the parameters of the rules to suit your "win win win" agenda. No wiggle room. Clarify the rules of allowable content.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

*Sigh...

Not everything that is copyrighted mustn't be used
Not everything that is not copyrighted is OK to use.

Copyright is not a line drawn in the sand between good and evil. It is merely a legal term, which shouldn't be mistaken with basic morale and common sense, never mind replace them.

When choosing resources for my work, I do consider thoroughly whether my choice doesn't harm author's interests or intents. I admit I can be mistaken from time to time, yet I am also ready to take down every single one of my works by resource author's notice, never mind whether it was copyrighted or not, or even a free-to-use stock photo.

Other than that, I've quite lost the topic of this discussion...

As for the contest, I personally am ready and able to take any restrictions you propose, be that stock images exclusively created for manipulation or even defaults only.

DeletedUser

Alright, how about if we clarify it as such:

All parts must be linked: Parts to all sigs must be linked as evidence of originality.

No blatant copy of copyrighted or public domain work: All work must be derived from parts of existing work (fair use) and/or full rendered from scratch (original).

Premade signatures are not acceptable: A signature premade, either by the contestant or another, is not allowed. Sigs must be made specifically for this contest.

Premade parts are acceptable: All public domain stock, portions of copyright material, and the contestant's original art, are premade, therefore no restrictions should be imposed on the use of premade parts.

Fair Use: Only a portion of copyrighted material may be used (a small portion at that), although multiple 'portions' may be used together.

Derivative: Derived from copyrighted material, or public domain, but changed to such a degree that it becomes an art in and of itself.

Transformative: Derived from copyrighted material, or public domain, but changed to such a degree that the "meaning" of the art is substantially changed.

In both derivative and transformative, the sigs themselves become copyright protected, de-facto. (not necessarily the case with fair use).

(sorry Deni, but we're trying to clarify the rules for this particular competition)

DeletedUser

All good apart from you cannot still part of a persons work if they gave you the .PSD. It should be a render or a stock. Period.

DeletedUser

I'm going to be blunt TSA. From the behaviors you made, in some of the other contests in this community, I don't trust you and that's why I'm trying to make sure you don't pull a fast one and switch the parameters of the rules to suit your "win win win" agenda. No wiggle room. Clarify the rules of allowable content.

What contests have a behavied badly in exactly? I found 2 people ripping work from deviantart posted it in the thread and passed it onto Gem, then when the rippers tried to wiggle there way out of it I proved them wrong... Cant see why you wouldn't trust me, only other time if I have acted wrongly is in my thread i guess, when I was getting flamed for no good reason, infact it was because I CnCd someones work.

Oh and thoose rules look fine to me.

Your team is picking the theme for it btw, you come up with one yet so we can get started, seen as though tomorrow is my day off college so can get it done then xD

DeletedUser

Alright, how about if we clarify it as such:

All parts must be linked: Parts to all sigs must be linked as evidence of originality.

No blatant copy of copyrighted or public domain work: All work must be derived from parts of existing work (fair use) and/or full rendered from scratch (original).

Premade signatures are not acceptable: A signature premade, either by the contestant or another, is not allowed. Sigs must be made specifically for this contest.

Premade parts are acceptable: All public domain stock, portions of copyright material, and the contestant's original art, are premade, therefore no restrictions should be imposed on the use of premade parts.

Fair Use: Only a portion of copyrighted material may be used (a small portion at that), although multiple 'portions' may be used together.

Derivative: Derived from copyrighted material, or public domain, but changed to such a degree that it becomes an art in and of itself.

Transformative: Derived from copyrighted material, or public domain, but changed to such a degree that the "meaning" of the art is substantially changed.

In both derivative and transformative, the sigs themselves become copyright protected, de-facto. (not necessarily the case with fair use).

(sorry Deni, but we're trying to clarify the rules for this particular competition)

Yeah! Finally we're getting somewhere. Completely and absolutely agree to everything of above, that is almost identical to my own principles of resource usage, just very detailed formulated.

I'm starting to like this idea once again :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Your team is picking the theme for it btw, you come up with one yet so we can get started, seen as though tomorrow is my day off college so can get it done then xD

Until I see a marked elevation in the courtesy and camaraderie so markedly absent in the existing contests being managed by the moderators, I am not inclined to participate, nor sponsor, a contest that is initiated and/or managed by one of the greater offenders. My provision of clarification on the rules is for others, not myself.

DeletedUser

Why is a contest so hard to organise, no prizes, just a friendly match between two innogames sites. Usual Rules on Sig contests, if you want to know these, look on PR or something. I think you guys just want an excuse not to get humiliated by the TW folk?

Status
Not open for further replies.