Language rule change

See thread

• Total voters

DeletedUser

i agree with everything except this rule shouldn't town founders be allowed to recruit who they want and reject who they don't want?

It is against the rules to create or manage a town that is exclusively for one nationality or language and/or to exclude other players because of their nationality. Repeated violations of the rule will lead to an account ban

edit and also this rule why is this needed town forums are not public?

All profiles and in-game town forums must be written in English

read the other announcements...

DeletedUser

read it i still don't like this one though

A town may not prevent a player from joining because of his or her nationality.

DeletedUser

if you said "sorry you cannot join as you are ___ not ___" is complete discrimination and racism.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

its not discrimination or racism its personal choice some people will create towns and have different types of people in it other's might create some that are all the same age group,sex, religion or language what your rule does is effectively forces people to accept people that they might not want to and is ridiculous and arint there freedom of speech and expression laws im pretty sure your rule limits that

DeletedUser

its not discrimination or racism its personal choice some people will create towns and have different types of people in it other's might create some that are all the same age group,sex, religion or language what your rule does is effectively forces people to accept people that they might not want to and is ridiculous and arint there freedom of speech and expression laws im pretty sure your rule limits that

I'm actually not going to get into an argument. I am stating facts.

DeletedUser

I'm actually not going to get into an argument. I am stating facts.

o well good luck banning players from large towns because they rejected a low lvl player thats from another country after they claim racism it will be just like the real world.

DeletedUser

Gem...The whole reasoning for the new "rule" is in no way rationally defendable. Anyone putting sth like that on the agenda in a different environment would not be entitled to carry the title "manager" much longer.

"You" (or rather the ill-placed community manager) (1) believe(s) that people are rejected because of language (which I very much believe is nonsense, though I cannot qualify this) and (2) that this kind of disrimination is causing serious harm, overarching any other form of discrimination.

What prohibits me to found a town that:
- only accepts members 16 and below?
- only accepts members 65 and above?
- only accepts female members?
- only accepts male members?
- only accepts handicapped?
- only accepts African American?
- only accepts Caucasian White?
- only accepts people that I like by gut feeling
- only accepts people that if I roll dices a 6 shows up
...................I think we all get where this is going!!!

The whole argumentation delivered by Morthy is entirely not thought through/ Ill advised/ plain dumb. (btw Morthy I'm pretty sure you only stated what your internal Q&A positioning document was asking you to; if not I'm seriously disappointed)

Second point of argumentation was the ticket investigation -> If there is serious doubts or complaints coming in then I'd expect you have the means to utilize a translator (be it mechanic or human). If not it's the administration's fault. I don't expect you to crawl my in-town forum any ways. So that'd be the exception and I would not consider the risk analysis to support measures like the proposed.

I would seriously suggest you get some capable "manager" in place who does his homework and brings along the eduction and common sense expected in such a position.

Cheers,
Bonez

P.S. Innogames should rather invest into additional devs than into second class Community managers that swallow up the money I pay.

DeletedUser

I really don't care one way or the other what language people in other towns use, but I still wanted to comment on a couple of comments made by others..

First -
arint there freedom of speech and expression laws im pretty sure your rule limits that

The rights to "freedom of speech and expression" (at least in the US) only cover government agencies and laws. They don't have anything to do with what you have a right to post on a privately run forum.

What prohibits me to found a town that:
- only accepts members 16 and below?
- only accepts members 65 and above?
- only accepts female members?
- only accepts male members?
- only accepts handicapped?
- only accepts African American?
- only accepts Caucasian White?
- only accepts people that I like by gut feeling
- only accepts people that if I roll dices a 6 shows up
...................I think we all get where this is going!!!

In theory, you might have a good point if the towns were in the real world. If you can find a way to know for sure that any member you allow or forbid to join your town here is under 16, over 65, male, female, handicapped, African American, or Caucasion White, I'd be interested in hearing about it. It's much easier to see if an anonymous person can speak/write a particular language.

DeletedUser5677

It could be worse. They could have used the new improved Euro-English...

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5- year phase-in plan that would become known as "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of "k". This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter. There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.

Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling.

Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as
replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensi bl riten styl.

Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.

Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas. :blink:

DeletedUser

One should always be a tad suspicious of ze Germans and five-year plans.

Eine Volk. Eine Reich. Eine Dictionary. A German hegemony stretching from Fowler's to the OED...

DeletedUser

I'd rather we keep to standard English, to be honest. Whoever starts playing this knows that it's the English version so should expect English announcements, that are not in toddler language.

I was going to pass on replying to this ... but that is an extremely narrow-minded view given actual makeup of the player base.

How about getting announcements and official posts pre-screened by another mod who is a native English speaker, so that the announcements and official posts are remotely close to proper grammar and sentence structure for the English language ?

My guess that native English speakers for all players on these servers is about 50-60% and it doesn't help anyone when the verbiage and sentence structure is terrible in some of the announcements.

Do any of the mods understand how the lowest common denominator theory applies to these forums ?

When communicating to a wide variety of people from across the globe you don't make posts using the largest most obscure words you can find in a Thesaurus when a common simple word will do. Keeping sentences short and simple is more effective then overly verbose run on sentences.

^^My suggestion should be a little easier then trying to translate announcements into all of the 28 countries that The West accepts payment for...

Take a poll on how many people actually understood the OP's post the first time they read it ... my money says less then one out of three.

DeletedUser

i think from now on if i apply to a town thats from another country and they reject me im going to claim they did it because i was from another country i might even claim to be a black Muslim since the west can't prove otherwise

DeletedUser

...the Mayor didn't know how to create a second forum...
second forum or second folder in the forum? i've got six folders in my forum: town council; welcome wagon; building commission; dueling reports; voting booth; red dog saloon.

the town council folder is the only one restricted to black- and/or white-hat players, and if there is an important announcement in any of the folders, i usually post them tri-ligually, in english, russian and romanian, since we have those three nationalities represented in our town.

if you go to imtranslator and register for free, you will have access to 24 languages from arabic to swedish, including 2 [!] versions of chinese!

while i would vote yes to make english the primary language, [see? even i got the vote wrong!] i don't see any harm in accommodating other players, to help them feel more at home, welcome and/or accepted, despite their mastery of english, or lack thereof.

DeletedUser

Whistlingleaf said:
Keeping sentences short and simple is more effective
Chon Wang: [in english] [to tribal chief and medicine man] "Which... way... to... Carson... City...???"
Tribal Chief: [in sioux language] [to medicine man] "Now he's saying it slower, like that's going to help!"
Medicine man: [in sioux language] [to Tribal Chief] "Give him the peace pipe; maybe that'll shut him up!"
- from Shanghai Noon

DeletedUser

Ulthor said:
Are the mods supposed to know that calling someone's mother a fish is extremely rude in latvian?
oh, i dunno... i think calling someone's mother a fish is probably rude in any language! :D