-League of Nations-

• Thread starter Duke Westminster
  • Start date

DeletedUser

Is it that hard to render your text normally? Personal opinion.

I do not read anything a person with constant coloured, stylized, bolded, or underlined font.

DeletedUser

You’re entire argument consists of what you think is going to happen and a nice story you’ve dreamt up about it being some sort of draconian communist; It has been proven time and time again that coalitions makes the inhabitants a lot more stronger collectively and is brutally effective in a militaristic situation. Who are you to say that likeminded town leaders cannot come together and work for the common good of their towns?

DeletedUser

Any of the above scenarios could be possible but one: I don't think such a league would make the game stagnate. Right now you basically click the mouse a few times and then go do something else for 4-12 hours. Can it get any more stagnant than that? This type of idea can only result in more active involvement, which is good for the game.

DeletedUser

The League of Nations eh? Just think about how hard it would be to get all the leaders to cooperate. But if there are capable cooperative leaders it should work, right? Good luck finding those.

DeletedUser

R u in love with Winston

Why do you keep quoting Winston Churchill,he may have been a good leader in the 40's but some of his other political ideals are a bit dodgy to say the least and it was his brilliant idea to have a landing at a little place called Gallipolli in WW1.Also wouldn't it be more in keeping with the game to have quotes by people who are relevant to the wild west?

DeletedUser

The problem with a large police force is theres no way to enforce this law and actually stop anything. without help from the devs its impossible to work in law into the West. which was a biggey

DeletedUser

I have to agree with Sparklo on his point of increased activity vs. decreased. In this game larger groups would demand more activity by all to avoid things such as being hit 3 times before you could get to the bank... and I have to disagree with your evaluation of why people leave or dont leave most other mmorpgs... The reason for leaving a game that has larger more destructive wars is primarily due to the inability to remain completely active. Large groups and extensive NAPS do make for some slow times, however whenever you engage any enemy a massive amount of activity is required to achieve success. The only thing that I have seen actually destroy a game was corrupt moderators that showed favoritism to certain players. And Dinesero, please don't speak down to the forum users and game players as if you are the ultimate authority on online gaming... Most all of the players here have been on other games before this one... And the ultimate point behind it is to enjoy yourself and have fun. If you want to create a kindom of towns go ahead. It's been done in other games and worked great. ... If you dont want to do it this is one of the few games that you can actually successfully remain on the sidelines by doing jobs and jumping around all the time.

DeletedUser

I didn't talk down to anyone on this forum. As a matter of fact I believe I said his intentions were good. I haven't gotten personal at all in my posts so please don't patronize me by saying that I am talking down to anyone. I've played many games before as well. Its not as if I just bought my first computer and discovered the internet last week.

My problem is that this police force he is talking about is all well and good for those in his organization. To protect them. Sure it will. Who protects those not in his organization? If a town in the LoN is attacked randomly then the might of the LoN falls down upon the attacking town. If a member of the LoN wants to attack someone thats all well and good though?

The only way to not make it a hypocrisy is if the LoN members were not allowed to randomly attack any nonmember towns.

As far as being hit 3x before going to the bank...that is so easy to do. All it takes is a town or several players from different towns organized (like being in an LoN type of organization) to coordinate their attacks on one or several players at the same time. There would be no need for this sort of coordinated attack if there wasn't a large scale war going on.

These are my opinions. I did not 'dream up some nice story'. The scenarios I laid out could happen.

As far as why people leave games one of the major reasons is because they are either bored or because they feel they are being attacked to the point where they can't advance and it isn't fun for them anymore. War is fun. I do not disagree with that at all. War can also be extremely profitable. There does come a point though when there is no one left to fight or the thrill of fighting wears off after you've been at it for months on end. I think the last war I was in lasted 4 months or so. It ended when the opposition simply disbanded because most of their members quit the game due to being constantly attacked. They didn't find it fun anymore. The same can happen here. Again, these are just scenarios that could very well happen.

Some of my original questions weren't answered. If an LoN member decides to wipe a town off the face of the map in order to move in one of their own and thereby increase their influence, is the LoN going to stop this sort of behavior? As I read it this would be perfectly acceptable. Put the shoe on the other foot though and have a nonmember town attack and LoN town randomly and that town faces extinction for having the nerve to attack.

I would like these questions answered. What would be the policies of the LoN? There would have to be some sort of governing body so who leads it and how are they chosen. Are LoN members allowed to randomly attack other towns without approval of the LoN. If an LoN town wishes to target another town in order to expand their influence does that have to run by the LoN members for approval? If one player from a nonmember town attacks one player from an LoN town then does the LoN come out in full force against the offender? How do you decide when a show of force is necessary in order to protect your members? Would a 1 v 1 policy be the #1 rule of the LoN. What happens if LoN members don't follow the 1 v 1 policy, will they be subject to some sort of discipline, and if so, what sort of discipline?

If you are going to have an LoN as a police force then there are rules that should be put in place for the members. Not only to protect those members but to protect the gaming community at large from the LoN. After all, in real life we don't just hire a bunch of security officers and give them no laws or rules to enforce or code of conduct to adhere to.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Excellent points; I’m glad you asked me about this as I’ve forgotten to mention it. The League is a policing force as much as a political one. The League won’t just be lead by me; the process of leadership will be a simple election of different towns. Say we had 20 members; and somebody else and I ran for leadership and I won by 3 or so votes, I would become the “Leader” of the League.

This doesn’t necessarily mean that suddenly I will have unprecedented power over all member towns; it means that I will direct the attention of the league to different things and will be responsible for most of the events regarding towns within the organisation. One thing the league will permanently stand for is the protection of *all* honourable towns and the advice and aid we can offer towns that are building up.

If a member town randomly attacks a non-member town for no reason, then obviously I will campaign against it and advise all other towns not to support it. All major events will be conducted via a vote – the clear majority winning. As this organisation is set up to protect all towns from bloated ego’s and a dishonourable thirst for power; any town that can be classed socially as “dishonourable” will be booted from the League and if necessary the town they targeted will receive support.

The Power of the League will rely on its members. I cannot and will not force any town to go out of their will to uphold the laws of the League. They must do so within their own right and only if they agree with me. Cooperation will be the forefront of my goals and I will try my hardest to be reasonable when I pass judgement. As has been stated somewhere above; we play this game for fun and I will not tolerate anybody trying to undermine that for other people.

DeletedUser

Why do you keep quoting Winston Churchill,he may have been a good leader in the 40's but some of his other political ideals are a bit dodgy to say the least and it was his brilliant idea to have a landing at a little place called Gallipolli in WW1.Also wouldn't it be more in keeping with the game to have quotes by people who are relevant to the wild west?

If you knew about that area of History to the extent I do you would find that Gallipolli on paper was a great idea, however the co-ordination by the generals in charge of it made a complete mess of it.

Considering Churchill effectively saved the Western World from fascism i'd have a bit more respect for him :\

DeletedUser

Do you really, really think such a thing as LoN would add anything to THIS game? Becouse all it does, is make towns fight each other.

DeletedUser

Thats a rather narrow minded outlook on such a broadly potential organisation, I must say.

DeletedUser3741

Even if I was for this, which Im not, I would do it privately rather then publicly

DeletedUser

I can see that with some of you I’ll have to agree to disagree :p.

Personally, this is down to different political ideologies of collective security and individual control; each of us will have our own opinions and if you consider this a bad idea then that’s completely fine. I will listen to all of you, especially if you don’t agree with me. What I ask is that you allow people who *do* think it’s as good idea a bit of leeway and that as soon as they declare their support their not insti-attacked.

DeletedUser

I do understand your reasoning behind the LoN. I do respectfully disagree with you on this matter (not that you care or should). I personally won't be gunning for LoN members since you are very far away from me on the map.

I would like to point out though that you asking for leeway for anyone that joins the LoN is a bit unfair. Your request does two things;. limits who other players may wish to attack because you've asked us nicely not to and allows you and the LoN to become a massive unstoppable force until another coalition of towns can form to step in and stop you. As I've said though, you are too far away on the map for me to effectively do anything about it.

If a member town randomly attacks a non-member town for no reason, then obviously I will campaign against it and advise all other towns not to support it.
Just to clairfy, any town that belongs to the LoN is not allowed to attack any other towns without good cause. What are the soldiers and duelers that belong to those towns suppsoed to do? Aren't they a bit punished for their choice of character class?

All major events will be conducted via a vote – the clear majority winning.
Does this mean that when any LoN member or town attacks another town that it should be considered an approved military operation of the LoN? If so, I believe that would be an act of war as it would be a carefully considered and voted upon act of aggression.

As this organisation is set up to protect all towns from bloated ego’s and a dishonourable thirst for power; any town that can be classed socially as “dishonourable” will be booted from the League and if necessary the town they targeted will receive support.

The Power of the League will rely on its members. I cannot and will not force any town to go out of their will to uphold the laws of the League. They must do so within their own right and only if they agree with me.
Maybe I'm over-reaching here and you really do just mean if they break the law they are out but it seems as if that could go another way. It seems as if you are saying you really wouldn't have control over what LoN members do so you would have no power to stop dishonorable behavior. Also, if every major event is decided by a majority vote, what if the dishonorable LoN town is not voted out of the LoN? You say you would only guide the LoN in its policies but not be the 'leader'. I would think you would have to have a few hard policies that are not up for vote to ensure the integrity of the LoN is kept.

As has been stated somewhere above; we play this game for fun and I will not tolerate anybody trying to undermine that for other people.
I would again respectfully disagree with your statement because you are undermining the fun that duelers or soldiers who belong to the LoN signed up for when they chose their character class. You are tying their hands to do what they want in this game until a war breaks out and they are needed.

You said somewhere earlier in this thread that the LoN would not be a draconian communist organization (not a direct quote but the sentiment is spot on). I again disagree.

Draconian - unusually severe or cruel
Communism - a system of social organization in which all economic and social activity is controlled by a totalitarian state dominated by a single and self-perpetuating political party

By the intent of the LoN and by the meaning of those words that is exactly what the LoN will be. The LoN will excersise severe control over the actions of its members with its idealogy and policies set in place. The LoN will be a self-perpetuating politcal party in which its members social and economic activity in the game is policed.

Now that I beat you over the head a little bit I can't wait to see how the LoN evolves. I wish you the best with it. I hope that you publicly share your policies and member list with everyone. After all, we don't know who we can't attack if the member list is secret and we don't know what sort of consequences we may face should we attack an LoN member or what sort of recourse nonmember towns will have with the LoN should they unfairly fall under attack by your organization.

Also, I wonder just how gung-ho you'd be about this idea if you weren't elected the leader. After all, it is your baby and nobody wants their baby ruling them rather than the other way around.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Gief update

I wonder if this all went underground or just fizzled out entirely?

Anyone know? Or are all those that know for sure playing Illuminati?

DeletedUser

Leave a dead thread lying.

No need to put idea into the minds of the weak and feeble.

DeletedUser3741

I wonder if this all went underground or just fizzled out entirely?

Anyone know? Or are all those that know for sure playing Illuminati?

It happened

UTW
Peridition
US post office
The group of towns "Altair Town" made