Poker House Proposal

DeletedUser1105

I don't claim all of these as my ideas - I have taken a lot of them from the 'Poker Houses' thread. This is my attempt to clean it up and smooth the edges if possible.

Please only post if you have something constructive to say about the proposal. Let's keep it spam free please and then once we are mostly in agreement, we can get it moved on up the ladder.

The Building
  • It would have to be built in the town. It should take a LOT of construction points to build, and maybe a LARGE one off payment at the beginning to pay for your town's 'Gambling Licence'. This is to make them unique and hard to obtain, so there will not be one in every town.
  • It would be upgradeable, with each upgrade providing an additional poker table in the room. Each upgrade would cost a lot of construction points. Once one table was full, the next players wanting to play would automatically go to the next open table (it would not be a 'choose your table' scenario, you are put on a table and you like it or lump it)
  • Single player mini-games would be available as upgrades - these would be for anybody waiting for a game, such as roulette and blackjack (see mini games, below). Again, it would be a lot to upgrade to these. THIS IS A SECONDARY PROPOSAL.
  • It would have a chat box, where all players (including those waiting) could chat.

Mini-games
These are an idea that we would like to see added to the poker house. If it is too much work, please discard these from the proposal, as the priority is poker.
  • Roulette, bet anywhere between $5 and $50 in any one turn.
  • Blackjack, bet anywhere between $5 and $50 on any one hand.
  • Possibly other games too, each having to be 'added on' with an upgrade.

The Money
  • Entry fee to the building of $10, regardless of whether you play/chat or do nothing. Paid directly into the town treasury. You can then choose to join the poker game (or the poker waiting list), watch, chat or play mini-games.
  • Town treasury recieves 5% of every bet on the mini-games (if it does not add to a full dollar, it is not rounded up. You have to wait until it is topped up by another bet)
  • If you run out of money, it will be possible to instantly sell items in your inventory for cash to bet with.

The Poker
  • It would be 5 card draw.
  • 6 Players to a table. Anybody who came after the 6th player would join the waiting list and be able to watch the poker or play the mini-games.
  • As soon as 2 players have ticked the box saying they want to play poker, the game begins. Each player pays the minimum bet of $2, and 5 cards each are dealt face down. Each player can see their own cards. The can then either 'fold', 'call' (betting the minimum $2 or matching a higher bet from another player) or 'raise' up to $10. Each player then decides how many/which cards they wish to swap, and they recieve thier new cards. Another round of betting ensues until the last raise or everyone left in has called/folded. There would be unlimited raising (Can only be raised by a maximum of $10 each raise though). If you do not have the money to match the bet, you fold. If there are two players left, a player can choose to 'see' the other player's hand (and thus end the raising) by paying double the current stake. This would only ever be a maximum of $20, as the maximum raise is $10.
  • There will be a 30 second timer for someone to make thier decisions. If nothing is chosen after this time, the player is automatically folded and removed from the poker table, allowing the next person on the waiting list to join.
  • You can, at any point, uncheck the 'poker' box and this will exclude you from the next hand. Your place will be taken by the next person on the waiting list.

Morals and Ethics
  • It would use in-game money only. No real money/gold nuggets.

Benefits
  • Allows towns to generate large amouts of income.
  • Extends gameplay a) because player will play longer and b) because it will take ages for a town to build and fully upgrade the poker house and also for them to make their money back.
  • Allows people to chat and make friends and have fun.
  • Adds an extra element to duelling, as duellers could see who was doing well and head to their town to duel them.

Statistics Page
  • Would show stats like how many hands of poker have been played, how many hands of blackjack, date poker house opened, date upgraded, money lost, money won, biggest pot won, biggest sessions takings/losses (i.e. who won/lost the most in one visit and when), overall biggest winner/loser etc etc.
  • Town members would be able to see how much they have spent on building and upgrading the building, and also see how much it has brought in. So they know when it has broke even and actually started to earn them some profit (this should take a long time, i.e. estimate how much a poker house would bring in and then ensure that the cost to build it is high enough to make it take months and months to earn a profit.)

Other
  • You can bet out of your bank account directly if you don't have cash, but any winnings go into cash. To deposit them, you have to make it home. You may get duelled though!
  • To clarify, premium players would NOT recieve extra luck at any of the games in the poker house. Everybody would be equal and play the same odds.
  • The building in the town will have an icon showing how many players are currently in the poker house.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The Building- Works well. Don't like single player mini-games.
The Money - I think it should be a flat fee going to the town and not raking off a % of each game. Suggest $10.
The poker - I would have an unlimited number of rounds. All in is ok but i wouldn't split the pot, just have the winner win.
Morals and ethics- it ain't real money so no reason to limit it to 50%

Everything else is very very sound.

DeletedUser

just to add on, if you're a premium member that doesn't mean your luck at winning should be any higher than a normal persons.

DeletedUser1105

The Building- Works well. Don't like single player mini-games.
The Money - I think it should be a flat fee going to the town and not raking off a % of each game. Suggest $10.
The poker - I would have an unlimited number of rounds. All in is ok but i wouldn't split the pot, just have the winner win.
Morals and ethics- it ain't real money so no reason to limit it to 50%

Everything else is very very sound.

Can you explain the money line? Where does the money come from? $10 off each round?

The split pot is for when people go all in. If I go all in and other people continue to bet high amounts of money, I should not be able to get my hands on that additional money. If I win, I get the amount that was in the pot when I went all in, the rest goes to the next 'winner' if my hand was not counted. If someone beats my hand, I don't win either.

Unlimited rounds? Are you talking about raises? or hands?

I didn't want the 50% in either, but there were a number of concerns in the thread about gambling and restrictions, so I put that in to try and appease everyone.

Does anyone else think this should be taken out?

just to add on, if you're a premium member that doesn't mean your luck at winning should be any higher than a normal persons.
Definately. Everybody is equal in the poker house.

DeletedUser

$10 to enter the poker house. No fee per round.
Split pot- I yield to your point.
Unlimited rounds of betting and raising per hand. I'd prefer a $1 minimum bet, gives more discretion, I do play this game in rl and a BIG part of the strategy is the psychology of how people raise.
50%- i think there is a better case for being able to bet 200% of what you actually have and come out in debt. It teaches a valuable lesson about gambling and is very realistic. Your town would get rather pissed off with you for not contributing. One should allow someone to be a rake and suffer the consequences of their rakishness. It's a valuable life-lesson in a harmless environment.

DeletedUser1105

Ok, with the split pot in, I don't see why unlimited raising could not be included. I'll edit that.

I like the idea of being in debt, but maybe make it much less that 200%. If I came out -$1000, I'd probably just quit the world rather than work for ages to get back to zero. It is a great idea, but it may make us lose players rather than gain them. Maybe a 50% debt level would be better?

Agreed about the $10 entry fee, but I still think they should make a percentage of the mini game profit. If you were able to add four or five different single player games, you may find they become more popular than the poker, and could be a good money earner.

DeletedUser

I'm saying they can bet double what they came in with. Just an arbitrary figure and i'll yield on this with reasonably good grace if it's unpopular. losing at gambling shouldn't ruin your life BUT it should definitely hurt. there is EVEN a case for making the amount you can bet unlimited but that would open up 'pushing' abuse issues.

I'm arguing against mini-games because we can only ask the devs to do so much and this wouldn't be a priority. It doesn't open up social interaction or plotlines as much as face to face.

DeletedUser1105

Ok, I'll change the proposal so it's clear that poker is the priority, but it at all possible, we would appreciate mini-games.

Ok, we need to find an agreed amount to be in debt (or scrap the idea of being able to get into debt). Does anyone else have any views on this?

DeletedUser

Well if I were to put my opinion across, nobody should be allowed to go into debt, not even a small amount. As you said, if you were (example) $1000 in debt, you'd probably just quit the world. It'd make a quiet world near enough silent. People should obviously have the sense to know when to stop, but as it's not real money, I don't think they'd be bothered.

DeletedUser1105

I've had a think about it and I agree with you steveland.

Once you get a little bit into debt, you'll think 'I'll bet a little more, try to get some money back'. Then you lose a little more and get more into debt, so you try to win that back.

Your not having to actually pay it back, so you'd keep going and going. If you didn't win, you'd quit the game and leave it be.

No, I think you should only be able to bet the amount that you have.

Obviously, this is a voting system, so if you get more people agreeing to it, then I'll change it, but for now I'll take it out of the proposal.

DeletedUser

Also, it would create negative equity in the game. Leading to a recession/credit crunch, leading to mass-depression, leading to suicide increase...:eek:hmy:

Edit: i have way too much time on my hands.

DeletedUser2708

What if, by going into debt on a bet, you could put up items of equivalent value instead, or maybe just randomly lose an item from your inventory each time you lose a bet after going into debt -- sort of like in the movies, when someone without enough cash to see or raise puts up his gun or horse? Sure would deter you from pushing your luck too much!

DeletedUser

I was going to say "No cash , No play" , but I rather like this idea TJ .

DeletedUser

I guess you could always 'sell your shirt' in the shop. So maybe we don't need more than that. Are we all agreeing then?

DeletedUser

there has to be a sign ok the poker house to let you know how many people are playing otherwise you just wasted ten bucks to go onto an empty room

DeletedUser1105

Yes, the item idea is very good. However, with a maximum bet of 10$, most items would be too expensive to bet with. So it should just allow you to sell the item instantly and recieve the cash (You are in a town anyway, it should just be so you don't have to leave the poker house and visit the store to sell).

And Kieghlon, that's a good idea too.

Both added to the proposal.

DeletedUser

Reasonable amendments, but how does a game ever get started, someone has to be the first?

DeletedUser1105

Ok then, maybe entry is free to the first person to enter, if it is empty?

Would that be fair?