Votes: 4 1.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 1.3%

Votes: 33 11.0%

• Total voters

DeletedUser

wat ever u say but 5 & 6 were the best of them . I didn't even see which was after 6

DeletedUser

I didn't mean that voting for yourself is terrible, I meant my entry was. I didn't have time to put any work into it.

DeletedUser

That was the theme, and I voted for 6. Much more effort been put into that than the others. 6/7 are the only 2 which are 'technically' good. The others look like they've had no effort put into them, including my own ;) tbh I just didn't like the theme :unsure:

This is why I don't enter these things!

It's probably the other way round! Those that look a bit rubbish have possibly had LOADS of effort been put into them, but as the person creating it doesn't know their way round photoshop, it probably took hours and it would never look brilliant, even with more hours spent!

A computer designer type could probably chuck out a masterpiece in a few minutes, with no effort at all and it'd look spectacular!

It's kinda like a one horse race! :(

DeletedUser

That was the theme, and I voted for 6. Much more effort been put into that than the others. 6/7 are the only 2 which are 'technically' good. The others look like they've had no effort put into them, including my own ;) tbh I just didn't like the theme :unsure:

Well, I don't 100% agree with you on that. I agree they are the only ones who are 'technically good' -- no offense to others but they are the only one who seem to master photoshop well --, but I don't agree that they have had more effort put into it. All of them have, I think, as much hard work put into it. Some just know the program better, they will be able to produce a (IMO) more advanced signature in a as much time as it does for someone else to create a regular signature. Again, no offense to anyone.

I voted for 7 btw. I'll join next month but I didn't like this theme either.

DeletedUser

7 is definitely the best... It feels art-inspired, but still rugged. 6 looks way too colorful and bright... It's burning my retinas. All the others look like they're just cartoons.

As for the comments about "6 looking the most difficult" it's really not hard. In 6, all you need to do is add a couple streaks of aqua, red and other less prominent colours, then use the smudge tool a bit.

At least that's how I'd do it... If you got a more difficult way, please inform me.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

7 is definitely the best... It feels art-inspired, but still rugged. 6 looks way too colorful and bright... It's burning my retinas. All the others look like they're just cartoons.

As for the comments about "6 looking the most difficult" it's really not hard. In 6, all you need to do is add a couple streaks of aqua, red and other less prominent colours, then use the smudge tool a bit.

At least that's how I'd do it... If you got a more difficult way, please inform me.

Great insight :D

DeletedUser13020

make it easier for you. the spur came on a blue background, the shoes were standing on some sand. just smudge the sand straight over the blue and mess with the general blending mode and add the text.

lol when you write it down, none seem too difficult. Ctrl+c, ctrl+v, add text and a little affect. Just remember it will always seem easier to do when someone spells it out for you after seeing the finished product. actually doing it and coming up with it from start to finish is a bit harder. So i don't doubt that the other guys put as much effort into theirs as I did to mine, no matter how simple it may look. As embarrassing as is for me to say, mine took me over 2 hours, maybe 3 not too sure, over a period of days. I was struggling deciding how to blend em, and what colors looked best (as I usually do). trying the spur w/o the background, changing the placement of the shoes, different text, different text colors bunch of dumb little things that i didn't end up keeping but still part of the effort. Simple product does not always = low effort.

DeletedUser

This is why I don't enter these things!

It's probably the other way round! Those that look a bit rubbish have possibly had LOADS of effort been put into them, but as the person creating it doesn't know their way round photoshop, it probably took hours and it would never look brilliant, even with more hours spent!

A computer designer type could probably chuck out a masterpiece in a few minutes, with no effort at all and it'd look spectacular!

It's kinda like a one horse race! :(
Hightower is indeed correct. Also, some were "technically" much harder to make, but are not as attractive as others that required less technical skill. The thing is, most don't realize the technical expertise required to make some of these sigs, and thus vote on them based on aesthetics.

And, really, that's how it should be. Not on time, effort, or technical expertise, but on aesthetic preferences. So, those that are being nasty little trolls, in the future just toss out a vote and refrain from insulting the efforts posed by people of differing skills. Those who are offended by comments made by these trolls, refrain from commenting in return and just toss them some bad reputation. Simple enough.

And, for the record, there were some technically simple sigs here that I really liked.

DeletedUser

Hightower is indeed correct. Also, some were "technically" much harder to make, but are not as attractive as others that required less technical skill. The thing is, most don't realize the technical expertise required to make some of these sigs, and thus vote on them based on aesthetics.

And, really, that's how it should be. Not on time, effort, or technical expertise, but on aesthetic preferences. So, those that are being nasty little trolls, in the future just toss out a vote and refrain from insulting the efforts posed by people of differing skills. Those who are offended by comments made by these trolls, refrain from commenting in return and just toss them some bad reputation. Simple enough.

And, for the record, there were some technically simple sigs here that I really liked.

Yes but people who are technically good and familiar with PS/GIMP should be able to produce somehting technically good and very aesthetically pleasing, correct? I visit GFX forums and there are some incredible sig makers there who produce excellent work, who would look at these and just laugh.

Anyways can we have freestyle next round? A chance to be imaginative and creative. Besides thats what art is all about, yes? :)

DeletedUser

I am contemplating it next round. I would love to see something really interesting however I may have to limit it to 30 places and use my technical and aesthetic knowledge to judge upon that.

And for the record, those that are saying there are one or two technically good ones are going about this the wrong way. Here are the rules I posted:
  • Be made specifically for this competition
  • Stick very closely with the theme of the month
  • Be high quality, or have a very interesting concept/ idea
  • Be within this forum's rules.

People are allowed to vote in any way that pleases them. Be it simple, advanced, the concept, or use of colour etc. That was always the rule when it first started less than a year ago, and my intention is to try and keep it that way.