"The Great Equalizer"? Anyone should be able to get a gun!

DeletedUser

This is the West. There should be guns. The gun is the great equalizer. Any man should be able to buy a gun and have a chance at killing the best gun slinger. Thats why gunslinger always sat a the back of the room and faced the door. Because there is always some punk trying to make a name for himself.

So I make this plea for guns early in the game to show some relevance with history and to make the game more fun for the first 20-25 levels.

"One of the first truly modern-style handguns, the Colt revolvers became known as "The Great Equalizer", because they could be loaded and fired by anyone, whereas most previous guns had required sufficient strength and dexterity. In theory, anyone who had a modern-style revolver was equal to anyone else, regardless of their relative physical abilities. This term has since come to be used for firearms in general, as awkward weapons like muzzle-loaded muskets became a thing of the past."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt's_Manufacturing_Company:blink:

DeletedUser

I agree with Your statement . I have great doubts it will be implemented .
To little game play pay off for the extent of the revision required .

DeletedUser2708

Well, it would certainly give those complaining about duelers some satisfaction -- any of you duelers want to explain how it would be a downside for you...?

DeletedUser

this would just be for entertainment but to help the developers draw a picture or a desing to help the developers or desing your own gun or do somthing to help it get done.

DeletedUser1105

No. There are levels for a reason. You have to reach the required level to earn that weapon.

You have to work your way up through the crappy weapons to get it.

DeletedUser

Guns should be 10x more expensive, in order to reproduce their relative rarity among normal folk during those times ;)

Unless you are talking about hollywood west?

DeletedUser

I just think it would more realistic roaming the west with a gun in my hand and not a slingshot or a rusty razor blade.

This .45-caliber has long been considered "the gun that won the West." Noted for its power and reliability, it was the most popular full sized revolver of the late 1800s. Turned out by the Colt Fire Arms Manufacturing Company of Hartford, Connecticut, it sold for $17 by mail order. A classic single action revolver, it remains in production today. from thewildwest.org

[SIZE=-1]In 1870, a bushel of wheat cost $1.37 in current prices. Can we assume that a dollar was worth more in 1940 than it was in 1870? No, we can't: $1.37 was roughly the cost of a day of labor in 1870. (from landandfreedom.org)

So if you worked for 12 and a half days you could buy a gun

also[/SIZE]
During the period from 1873 and until 1893, the US Army bought about 37,000 Colts of both models

so some of those would be lost or stolen creating a black market for guns and you would probably be able to buy a used gun for half that price... just guessing

Plus there would alot guns form the civil war still floating around so a gun was not that hard to come buy and shouldnt be priced that high

DeletedUser1105

Old time pricing is not important.

If you could get guns at lower levels, it would give you nothing to aspire towards, and no benefit for getting there when you did.

DeletedUser

So i guess that in the west once you got a gun you had nothing to aspire to?

Whatever... I am not going to keep arguing. it just doesn't make sense guarding a fort with a slingshot unless the fort is made of cardboard boxes and is in your living room.

DeletedUser

It also doesn't make sense that it is easier guarding the fort then mining granite, or digging graves.

High grade of realism and historical accuracy is not the aim of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

My 2 cents worth

Those are valid points, surely. It would be nice if firearms were available before they are though. Theres a certain cognitive dissonance in having a slingshot in your holster instead of a peacemaker. Durn pain gettin the rocks to fit in them little loops on back of the belt. Besides, the first time I dueled with that slingshot I actually wondered, is that Cole Younger coming down the street or Dennis the Menace?

DeletedUser

The way I look at it is that when you first start the game you are a little kid playing at being a cowboy. You have to grow up enough to get into the real stuff.

DeletedUser

I don' like this idea, for reasons already posted. Do you think that because you got good at say selling newspapers you would then be able to improve your swimming? which is what you can do if you get enough exp. Do you think that any random person could just build a building. No you need to give your life to something to be a good builder and it would takes months to build a building yet people are happy to build stuff for the town because they can on this game. That is not at all realistic so then your ask for the game to be made more realistic by saying that anyone could shoot anyone. Oh btw on making duels realistic don't you think if you got shot in the head you'd die straight away? OK so you still want the game to be realistic yet you decide to go to another town but it takes weeks on your little donkey that has to stop for a rest every few hours.

Really don't bring realism into the game because you know that if the game was realistic it would be no fun. It's fun because there is no realism so saying that i would be better if it was realistic would just be crap. Honestly just leave the game as it is, you can use a gun when you have earned the right to use a gun so until then you'll just have to deal with your slingshot.

DeletedUser

Whoa!!!!

Looks like somebody got up on the wrong side of the turkey this morning...
Sheeeesh!

DeletedUser

Oh its a great Idea... for historical accuracy... Unfortunately there people arest making history books THEYRE MAKING A GAME! If they wanted to make this game accurate, they would make it post civil war and some additional caracters would be carpetbaggers and KKK members! The indian probably wouldnt be sitting in the saloon, hed more than likely be at war with all the white people!

BUUUT that isnt the case!

Imagine if you sat down at your Xbox to play some war game and immediately started our with a bazooka or some missle launcher with unlimited ammo. The game would be full of explosions and all and that be great, but the game would get old fast...

Thats the same idea here... you start out with the best weapon and the game is too easy and theres nothin to work for... :p

DeletedUser

Okay

Nobody said anything about starting out with m-16s or ak-47s...all I was thinking was that there is the option of having some type of guns, (flintlocks, Mexican War smoothbores) which could have levels in them which could be earned by quests or you could buy the upgrade at the gunsmith? While there is validity to the point that a game can get boring if the good stuff comes too soon, by the same token it can also get boring if you have to go too far to get it. I was simply wondering out loud if there might be a balance between the two extremes.

DeletedUser

sorry to butt in ere , however i would assume that although you earn't say 1 dollar a day , what about rent ? food ? hay for the horse/donkey/ass ? once you start taking all those factors in to account, it would take a whole lot longer that 12 days to actually purchase a gun.

right you have bought your gun does that man that you can go out shooting at everyone ? , NO .... because to do that you actually have to spend TIME to use the weapon and spend MONEY to buy the cartridges that you are going to waste on shooting at targets.

now to get to the point, you spend TIME in levelling up and you spend MONEY on the "poo" weapons first so you can earn the top weapons.

although i would say a duelist would spend money all the time on training with his weapon to insure he knows in inside out and back to front. so when he pulls the trigger he knows which way the gun is going to react and compensate for it.

i think this game is great because it doesn't act realistic you have to level up to earn money/items etc etc what would the fun be if you copuld get hold of a colt and go around shooting anything that moved ?

Last edited by a moderator: