The West Book Club

ScarletKisses

The Silver Sword ...

This is a wonderful book! The novel tells the poignant story of a group of children’s search for their parents in World War II ravaged Europe. The story revolves around the siblings Ruth, Edek and Bronia, and their friend Jan – a resourceful but eccentric, street-smart kid. The siblings had a happy life in with their family in Poland. But, one day the Nazis would come for them and their world would turn upside down. Somehow they would flee and learn to survive on the streets. Ruth, the elder sister, would take on the role of the mother. More misfortune would follow. The siblings would get separated – Ruth would make a friendship with Jan, who would help with stuff he “managed’ to get. Ultimately, the siblings would reunite and together with Jan, they would embark on a journey towards Switzerland. There would be hardships, but there were many generous people, from all walks of life, who would help the children.There is adventure, danger, tragedy and surprisingly a little bit of humor in the story. But, the most inspiring theme of the book is home. The silver sword, after which the novel is named, is nothing but a humble paperknife belonging to the siblings’ father. This would become a symbol of hope for the children.The author has skillfully used themes such as family, friendship, kindness and his portrayal of human nature is commendable. He has deftly demonstrated how humans can act contrary to their nature under extreme circumstances, and how even “mature” kids try to make up for their lost childhood when they get the chance.The book has a very happy ending. That’s the good news right! The characters of the children had been taken from Red Cross records. However, they did not come from the same family, and unfortunately all of them did not get a happy ending in real …
In this heartwarming mid 20th century classic, which I loved as a child, four brave Polish kids escape the horrors of the Nazi regime and embark on a perilous journey through war-torn Europe, finally to reach a Western country and be put in cages like the vermin they are. Yuck 5/5

Clever Hans

I have recently enjoyed re-reading one of my favourite classic books, The Diary of a Young Girl.

Anne Frank’s extraordinary diary, written in the Amsterdam attic where she and her family hid from the Nazis for two years, has become a world classic and a timeless testament to the human spirit. Now, in a new edition enriched by many passages originally withheld by her father, we meet an Anne more real, more human, and more vital than ever. Here she is first and foremost a teenage girl—stubbornly honest, touchingly vulnerable, in love with life. She imparts her deeply secret world of soul-searching and hungering for affection, rebellious clashes with her mother, romance and newly discovered sexuality, and wry, candid observations of her companions. Facing hunger, fear of discovery and death, and the petty frustrations of such confined quarters, Anne writes with adult wisdom and views beyond her years. Her story is that of every teenager, lived out in conditions few teenagers have ever known.

Deleted User - 4271759

I'm about halfway through Carl Sagan's Cosmos. Big fan of popular science and read Sagan's Pale Blue Dot before. Both of these works really put the vastness of the universe into perspective. Cosmos is a great introduction to practical astronomy and its history. Sagan has a wonderful positivity in his writing that I think is contagious.

Joe Kidd

The first book that came to my mind seeing this thread title was a western: Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. This book is brutal and also not for the faint of heart but is an incredible western story. Another of his books The Road is a powerful but sad story about a parent's love for their child and how that sustains a glimmer of humanity in a wholly inhumane landscape.