Good vs Bad Guys

DeletedUser

because the bounty system is player driven. you gotta be a pretty big threat or nuisance to make a town put say a $500 bounty on your head, which is a pretty nice chunk of change. and the town has to pay it.

DeletedUser

it doesnt matter who is "right" or "wrong" if a town wants to pay out for you to die then the bounty hunters try to make that happen.

DeletedUser1105

But as the levels progress, the bounty would have to be high for a high level dueller to consider it. Maybe it could be a minimum amount, which is quite high, so that it is not used on every player for no reason?

DeletedUser

You don't need an arbiter like a sheriff because it is town founders that set the bounty out of treasury funds. yes there should probably be a minimum to stop malicious play. However i don't think this will be a real issue because the total would be accessible from the rankings pages and no one would be bothered to look at the bottom of the list.
There's a whole long post arguing this topic.....and i still think it is a great idea. Briefly If a player with a bounty is killed the person who killed them is rewarded and they are put into the jail of that town. There's a bit more to it than that but that's the gist.

DeletedUser

its kinda in the pointless stage right now we realkly dont need it

DeletedUser

But the misapplication of Diva to a guy has me questioning my manhood... I'll be sending Oakley my psychiatrist's bill.

I use Diva as a neuter term , and You picked the mantel for Your own .
I assigned it to no one in particular , no recompense is forth coming .

I like player set bounties , there is the game generated job later in the game .
I disagree that players would not use a 'protect town' option . I would , as I am sure that Mr. Hawk and some of his townsmen would .
In the latter game many jobs become available which cause this Good vs Bad debate to come to a head . There is 'rob settlers' and 'protect settlers' , 'Rob stage coach' and 'Guard stage coach' and several other mirrored jobs . I don't know if taking one path forbids You from the other .
The argument has been put forth that We should allow actions to determine how a person (character) is viewed .
That's fine and dandy , except how do I know what their actions were ?

DeletedUser

exactly. to have a reputation score you would have to assign karma points to different jobs and actions, and then your just playing UO in webform with guns. what kind of karma does picking beans give me? flatulence +10? now maybe high end quests which are exclusive of one another giving titles may be an option, but the title does not make the character, nor does it prevent them from doing good or bad.

DeletedUser

But as the levels progress, the bounty would have to be high for a high level dueller to consider it. Maybe it could be a minimum amount, which is quite high, so that it is not used on every player for no reason?
What does using it on a player for no reason actually achieve? think about it.

The Town certainly has no gain so why would they splash their money out for no reason?

DeletedUser1105

A town could put a bounty on a lot of duellers at once. A bounty on your head would make you think twice about attacking that town, thus the town would have a great defence. If it cost a lot, then they could not do this, and would only put them out of people who are actually bothering them.

The reputation idea has been discussed very lengthily in TheFinalBobs 'Outlaw Level' thread.

DeletedUser

perhaps we do need to start the idea off afresh on a new post. hopefully we have learnt something since then.

DeletedUser

One mans hero?

It is said that killing is murder unless done to the beat of drums. It is also said that one mans hero is another mans villain. Perhaps the whole question of good vs. evil is an eternal one which has no ultimate answer?
We can debate this 'til the great gettin up day, and never solve this enigma, but maybe thats okay? After all, where would the evil monkey get his paycheck if this debate were finally resolved?

DeletedUser

everyone thinks they are a good person. and who are you to disagree? who are you to tell them they are wrong? what makes your perceived notions more important or right than theirs?

DeletedUser1105

everyone thinks they are a good person. and who are you to disagree? who are you to tell them they are wrong? what makes your perceived notions more important or right than theirs?

It depends what they are doing. If someone was mugging and shooting people in real life, and I see it as wrong but the perpatrator does not, yes I think my 'percieved notions' are more right than theirs.

DeletedUser

Whoa there!

Since I posted last, Im assuming that diatribe was directed at me. If Im wrong, my bad. I only made some general observations, I dont think I disagreed with anyone, neither did I take a specific position, let alone mark it superior to anyone elses. The question of good vs. eveil is simply an eternal one, which will provide fuel for debate for generations to come. Thats all I think I said. If I am wrong, Ulthor, will you enlighten me?

DeletedUser

I think we are all pretty much getting into a similar area, where we can work out improvements to the game that will make it more rewarding for the vast majority of people who play it, whichever side of the debate they are coming from.
Perhaps 'good-v-evil' and 'computer games influence on children' could become fresh topics, rather than getting flung into all these essentially practical debates about improving the game play experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

that wasnt directed towards anyone prud that was "you" in the general sense. universal questions of judgements.

DeletedUser

and the ideas of morality playing into the game are just too convoluted to be handled well. we all agree that we like the game, and we all want to promote it, so i think that we regulars should all have an agreement on leaving morality issues out of our discussions. right and wrong, good and bad, these are things to philosophize on, not things to try and influence the game with. what we need to focus on is balanced gameplay, and to do that with an enlightened eye, we need to see the-west as a strategy game. viewing it as an rpg is great for actually playing it, and i am all for rp, but our focus needs to be on stats, character cusomization, gameplay flaws and fixes, and strategical improvements to the game for the greater expansion of said game. "i think it would be cool to ride a tiger" or "i hate being shot in the back" really dont play a major role in our central purpose here. "whats a good way to balance benefits and restrictions on _____ idea" are. agreed?

please sign here:

*Ulthor _________
*SDJX22________
*Prudhomme _______
*Thomas Hawk _______
*Oakley Jones _________
*Organs(read fine print**) ________
*Etc. __________

** Organs by signing this you are agreeing to never never post in the development discussion forum. ever. i still love you though. did you ever get that adhd medicine i sent you?