banks getting robbed and people put to jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

if it robbed the town treasury i would never deposit; spend it directly on upgrades from private funds

DeletedUser

Well that is a reasonable counter-strategy and i don't think that it makes the idea a bad one because it would still hit the town's growth if people thought as you thought.
I still don't like the idea of too many bank robberies because the whole function of the bank is to make money safe and if that goes, what is the point of the bank?
Need to get a few more views on where the money should come from.
In a post a while back someone was suggesting that items decay, which didn't win much support. However the point was raised that eventually everyone will be maxed out on everything, so maybe there needs to be a way in which items can be taken from players. It seems hideously complicated though.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Bank robbing should be a multiplayer job. And to make it risky, any player that lives in the town and is at the town (asleep or not) gets into a shootout with the robbers.

DeletedUser

It'd be pointless, much too like tribal wars and the battle system there. Higher town attacks smaller town and farms off it.

DeletedUser

how about we don't make a westwars.

have the bank robbery come from nowhere like any other job. yes it is a little less fun to steal from the computer ( in my opinion) but then you don't have to worry about the technicality of it

also i would hate to worry about defending it

DeletedUser

Thats a stupid reason. the west was all about theivery. Why not include it in a game called THE WEST

DeletedUser

It'd be pointless, much too like tribal wars and the battle system there. Higher town attacks smaller town and farms off it.

No it wouldn't work like that.
1) smaller town would have no funds to raid as all treasury money would be spendt isntantly for construction
2) the 'duel system' prohobits big dogs eating the puppies (and a multi-player quest such as bank robbery would mechanically play out similar to a duel, but not quiet)
3) only the bigger town have haordes of cash in the treasury as it gets more costly to make those constructions complete! Bigger town have higher treasury because they sell more items from thier stores that gets directly funneled into the treasury...

If a multi-player quest was implemented what would happen is the bigger town raids each other for those stock piles (they already duel each other in the game)... After so many attempts of robbing each other back and forth there would have to be some form of limitation as to how many times a town can be robbed.

Keep in mind I'm specifically talking about robbing the treasury: not personal bank rolls -- they would remain safe!

A bank hiest quest would have to be performed as a multi-player quest (as previously mentioned)

have the bank robbery come from nowhere like any other job. yes it is a little less fun to steal from the computer ( in my opinion) but then you don't have to worry about the technicality of it

also i would hate to worry about defending it

That would be the simplest way to solve this issue - but totally detract from the pvp role...

DeletedUser1105

I think zazz has some good ideas there. I think it would need a lot of work and rules to make it work, but it has potential.

DeletedUser

Thats a stupid reason. the west was all about theivery. Why not include it in a game called THE WEST

No, it wasn't. The West in your head is about thievery. Did you play Cowboys and Indians as a child?

The real west was about building towns, exploring, farming, trying to make inhospitable lands suitable for societies and families, and furthering the cause of the United States government. While "institutionalised robbery" might be one way of describing some of their activities during this time period, mostly they wanted settlers, not fighters.

There's a reason (well, several, but one significant one) outlaws kept getting pushed further west, and that is that civilized society didn't want people shooting up the town every weekend. They wanted to go to church, eat well, and have families. Dull, I know, but true.

DeletedUser

and Andrew Jackson was one crass SOB - he was a brawler a drinker and a foul-mouthed general... He grew his nails long specifically for gouging the eyes of his enemies...

Thanx for the vote of confidence, sdjxx, Now let stay on topic and not argue over the historical inaccuracies of a fictional game.

DeletedUser

Then people should stop citing fictional 'truths' in defence of their poor ideas. Justify suggestions because you (generic) want shooty-bang-bang games, fine. Justify them because 'that's how it was done'? No, it wasn't.

*resists the urge to quote Brass Eye*

DeletedUser

You should incorporate the bank's level as an added defense against robberies too.

:p

DeletedUser1105

I think there should be rules as to how much can be taken. I would like to think that it can be arranged so you don't lose everything.

How it should work:

Every member of the team would have to have a certain level of horse (donkey's would not be good enough.)

As a town, you can choose 'Bank Robbery' as a job.

It gives requirements that have to be met:

Must have 5 people, no more, no less.
Every member of the team would have to have a certain level of horse (donkey's would not be good enough.)

Then, much like other jobs, it would list skills needed:

Vigor, Hiding, Fine Motor Skills, Leadership, Tactics, Appearence, Horseback Riding, Animal Instinct.

However, each skill would have it's own difficulty. Between the 5-8 townspeople they must have enough accumulative points for each skill. I.e. Vigor of 80. The 5 players vigor skills are added up, if it does not reach 80, you cannot do the job. And so on across all the skills.

It must be difficult to do a job like this, but the pay outs would be worth it.

DeletedUser

LincolnThe 'west' in general may well have been peaceful farmers. However the 'WILDwest' was erm, by definition, erm, how do i say this without sounding patronising?

I'm a fan of historical accuracy in games, but you are distorting the history to suit your case.

As for bank robberies, monkey your mechanism is spot on. i love the idea of bank robberies BUT there is a big tension in this. In order for banks to retain any meaning as a safe-house for your money and to be safe enough for players to want to deposit in them then bank-robberies will have to be rare events. Now because i want to do them and do them often i think it would be better to plunder either/or of the town's treasury or personal money of players. Oh wait i got another idea....how about the money in the bank stays BUT the bank goes down a level and all the money it took to build the level goes to the robbers? just a thought. One could also perhaps steal items from the dead bodies? [helps with the maxing-out problem] We have to nail this one right so it works. Thoughts?

DeletedUser

LincolnThe 'west' in general may well have been peaceful farmers. However the 'WILDwest' was erm, by definition, erm, how do i say this without sounding patronising?

I'm a fan of historical accuracy in games, but you are distorting the history to suit your case.

This game is The West. Not The WILD West. It even says so right up there at the top of the page. :eek:

DeletedUser

Because the WILD west is trademarked and was a will smith movie

...And it was actually kinda good

DeletedUser1105

Let the 'west' and the 'wild west' go. They obviously want us to behave badly. Have you seen the list of jobs you can do on www.weststats.com Check out the best ones: burgalry, ambush stagecoach, robbing trains, ambush, robbing settlers.

Yes, they have good ones too, but bad behaviour is obviously part of the game, get over it.

I like your suggestion Ulthor. The bank going down a level would be enough of a reason for towns to decide to guard their town, and the money spent on it would be plenty for the robbers (as long as they targeted maxed out banks).

How people get caught and the repurcussions from that, I don't know.

Maybe you also need to 'pay' to rob a bank. I.e. start up cash for supplies or whatever, of $50 per player. Then if you fail, that money goes into the towns treasury. If you are sucessful, you get it back.

DeletedUser

:)I like this idea alot, back in the days i played a maffia online game, and wen part of a gang( in this game the town) jobs, criminel tasks and other missions where offered by the game and u could sign up for the deal. When the needed players all agreed the job started and it a took very long time and was also very risky. Not every mission ended well, to implement this in the west would be great. It would give the game some more depth and would create an higher sense of coorperation.

wilddick:eek:

DeletedUser

Let the 'west' and the 'wild west' go. They obviously want us to behave badly. Have you seen the list of jobs you can do on www.weststats.com Check out the best ones: burgalry, ambush stagecoach, robbing trains, ambush, robbing settlers.

Yes, they have good ones too, but bad behaviour is obviously part of the game, get over it.

I'm not disputing that in the slightest. The West, which is not Wild, contains both good and bad behaviour, for each player to experience as an individual. Duelling is a recognised career path. Hoorah. All well and good.

That said, there is no need to keep suggesting over and over ideas that basically are all variations on 'please Mommy can I have a gun to shoot people with?' and attempting to justify them with absolute bollocks about the authenticity of 'The Wild West'. If you want a Cowboys-and-Indians movie, go and watch one, but don't try pretending that what some 1940s Hollywood scriptwriter wrote has any bearing on history, or on this game as it stands. The devs do have a bearing, of course, but until they introduce 24/7 shootouts and player-killing I'm thinking they've actually got a pretty good grip on reality and what makes a game playable from a multitude of approaches.

DeletedUser

jailhouse first.

ignoring Licoln's arguements for factual / fictional game realtions, the point of this thread is the developing idea of banks getting robbed and people put to jail. that being said, The first thing i would implement (if i were a developer) would be the JailHouse.

The Jailhouse seems pivotal for without it there would be no risk of punishment for robbing the towns' treasury. To counter Ulthor and sdjxx I think an automatic downgrade for robbing the bank is a bit harsh. A lot of players would've comitted alot of time and money into raising it. And may be so disheartened that they may decide to boycott the [wild] west. To keep in context with the flavor of the game, personal account should remain secure. However the treasury would be up for grabs. To accomodate the defense, no town's bank below lvl 3 would be able to be targetted. Let it be known that the lower ranked towns would not have enough money stock-piled to even risk robbing so they already have a form of protection. only the mid-sized and larger town would have this option open and would be limited to target town of equal rank to their own...

yet i am digressing. I wish to illustrate the importance of the jailhouse without a jailhouse to offer some form of protection from duelers and robbers, then all discussion of jail-breaks and security are moot.

The jailhouse would be open for construction once the TownHall has been upgraded to lvl 2. This would add a new dynamic to the early game town race. As it stands most town rush to build the General Store and then Hotel, while the dueling town rush to build the mortician. Once the jailhouse has been constructed then the sherrif class would be offered appointed (yes, I am aware that there are plans for a sheriff class being implemented soon -- anyone willing to provide a link for confirmation?)

Status
Not open for further replies.