GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

• Thread starter DeletedUser13484
  • Start date

DeletedUser13484

Hi guys/girls

I have downloaded Gimp but im a newbie to stuff like this. Just wondering if people can help me out with some tips/hints. I wanna try and make some sigs/town flags to post on here and get some feed back.

DeletedUser

The only advice I can give ya is to just start usin' it. I've been usin' photoshop since version 5.0 came out back in the late 90's and just taught myself how to use it. Take a few images you like, open them in GIMP and just start messing around with the brushes and tools.

DeletedUser13020

yes, mess around and doodle with everything. and remember tutorials are your friends.

DeletedUser

I'm making some GIMP images.They'll have funny text and will be slightly smudged and the so.

DeletedUser8950

It's quite a tricky program to begin with-perseverance is required.
For simple things like banners, click "create," then "logos", then choose from the list. Very easy.

DeletedUser

I have GIMP on my mac, and started off just messing around. I have also used http://www.tutorialized.com/ which has some good tutorials (although it has a horrible site design imo). The background for my sig came from the photoshop section and the rest I made in GIMP. Can't wait for GIMP 2.8 to come out (single windowed!)

DeletedUser

I'm pretty new myself, i have found the most important thing i have learned is the use of alpha channel. It means that when you cut parts of the image out it leaves transparency that allows the layer below to show through.

DeletedUser

Actually, the most important thing is to use layers. Lots of em. Manipulation of layers to affect the original is a far better move than to modify the original.

DeletedUser

I still have to use a guide I got from another game's forum.I made a really bad one though.

DeletedUser

Actually, the most important thing is to use layers. Lots of em. Manipulation of layers to affect the original is a far better move than to modify the original.

What he said. When you save, make sure you save in a format that uses layers. Then when have finish export it to jpg, png or etc. but copy a copy that contains layers. Makes editing easier later.

DeletedUser13484

What he said. When you save, make sure you save in a format that uses layers. Then when have finish export it to jpg, png or etc. but copy a copy that contains layers. Makes editing easier later.

How do you do that then?

DeletedUser

When editing save as .xcf file (GIMPs own file format) then when your finished save as xcf file first, then .jpg, .png, etc after. To save in different formats just put the extension on the end of the file name in the save dialog.

DeletedUser

Hellstrom will probably say this is wrong but my noob way would be to do the following:
  1. check to see the layer has an alpha channel (transparency)
  2. use the fuzzy select tool (looks like a wand) to select the white area.
  3. cut out the selected areas (ctrl-x)
Because of the nice sharp edge between the black and white it should work quite neatly.
When doing the same thing with other images you may have try the following.
  • use different tolerances for the fuzzy select tool
  • try using a feathered edge
  • selecting an area you want to keep and then inverting the selection
  • clean it up using eraser tool with "fuzzy circle" selected

DeletedUser

Hi Crusty, there are a few ways of doing it, so I'm not going to say your way is wrong. I do, however, cringe away from doing feathered transparency unless a fuzzy edge is the effect I want to create. In most cases I prefer sharp edges. I haven't played much with GIMP yet (Photoshop/Illustrator are my standards), so can't say the best approaches with that program, but will take a look and toss out my recommends.

DeletedUser13484

Hellstrom will probably say this is wrong but my noob way would be to do the following:
  1. check to see the layer has an alpha channel (transparency)
  2. use the fuzzy select tool (looks like a wand) to select the white area.
  3. cut out the selected areas (ctrl-x)
Because of the nice sharp edge between the black and white it should work quite neatly.
When doing the same thing with other images you may have try the following.
  • use different tolerances for the fuzzy select tool
  • try using a feathered edge
  • selecting an area you want to keep and then inverting the selection
  • clean it up using eraser tool with "fuzzy circle" selected

Is this the best way to take a image or a person out of a photo or is the something you can out line around a image or person and take it out that way.

Last edited by a moderator: