Language rule change

See thread

• Total voters

DeletedUser

I don't see a lot of people applying to be an administrator, so you should think twice before piling more work on their already full plates. How would it be if half your emails came in foreign languages?
What about the case where someone reports another player for abuse in another language? Are the mods supposed to know that calling someone's mother a fish is extremely rude in latvian?

DeletedUser

Contact with mods should be in English and nobody is disagreeing with that point.

If someone sends a person rude mail in any language they can just block the other person. Problem solved.

Also the mods have stated that mails in non-English is fine, so again that point is not in dispute.

Trust me when I tell you that they don't ban people for sending one rude mail, so its pointless to even report them - block them and solve the problem yourself ... they ban people after a person creates multi-accounts to bypass the mail block and continue harassing a player.

There was a guy in Tribal Wars who kept renaming his town with lots of bad words and it wasn't until the 4th time I sent in a report that he got banned.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Although I completely understood the need for the rule change for administrative purposes, I have to say I was pretty disappointed when I read it. I'm an English speaker myself, but I have people in my town for whom it isn't their first language. I enjoy the whole multicultural aspect of the game and I don't mind when the guys sometimes speak in their native tongue. And it hones my communication skills too. Sometimes, I'm just not that plainspoken. ;)

I'm really glad this amendment has been put up for vote and I hope it will be implemented.

DeletedUser

Reply to Whistler...I vote NO.

The reason to vote yes is so that all the towns with players from very small countries who do not have their own version of The West and will not likely ever get their own version have a chance to participate in the game.

If you can't find one of the other 170 towns to join where English is the predominant and probably only language spoken in the forum then the problem lies with the player.

These might be the "US servers" and English might be the "universal" language, but Inno and the players who vote no need to realize that we live in one world and share one internet with people from hundreds of countries on these servers. Playing games like this is how many people come to learn English and since that is good for everyone in the world then we all benefit in the long run.

You comments are self-defeating mate. If the rule is that a player cannot be denied access to joining a tribe because of nationality or language and we allow players to have towns made up of players of these small countries as you say speaking in their own language then the discrimination. The only way not to have discrimination is to have only one language be spoken.

If the rule change would have been: "Would you like to ammend the rule to allow there to be one thread per forum where players could speak in their native language", then I would have voted 'yes'.

Anyway...you say that many people learn English from playing this game...but if this rule passes then that will no longer be true.

The server isn't here to cater to everyone. I wouldn't join another language server and complain that they won't let me speak English, so why should anyone do that on a US server? Oh yeah, I forgot...the Americans should take care of everyone or else we are just selfish pigs right?

DeletedUser

^^^^^^^^^^

How would you propose Inno enforce the rule of towns allowing only players from one language/country ? The problem with that rule is that it is unenforceable.

Non-English speaking players will learn English as they play this game or other similar games as English is the language used for quests and what not.

I played an MMORPG 6 years and 4 of those years I was in a guild that used Ventrilo (Teamspeak) and the guild was primarily made up of Northern Europeans... some of those guys were terrible at speaking English in the early years but after time some became very proficient at speaking in English.

The server takes payment for 28 different countries and almost anyone in the world can use Moneybookers or Paypal and avoid the country requirement. So when they stop taking payment in other languages then English speaking countries I'll agree with you about the servers being for only English speaking persons.

DeletedUser

I voted no.... and I'll give ya a reason why......

and it's one that many I'm sure have already given.... Come to my country (or my server in this case) Speak MY/IT'S language not yours because if I was to goto your (their) server and start talking english I would expect the same odd responce I give to people who message me with foreign languages.... HUH!

DeletedUser

What about the players of the 50+ languages that do not have their own version of The West ? They don't get to play ?

Inno takes money from people in 28 countries ... I don't see them changing that down to just the few that speak English as a primary language.

DeletedUser

I'm with Caladus and TimeWalker. Why is it the English server that's expected to cater to everyone? If they aren't capable of conducting town business in English, then how can we believe that they've read the rules and understand them well enough to follow them. If they want to chitchat with each other through telegram, go ahead, but conduct ALL town business in the language of the server.

And if this rule is going to change this way, then I think every single server should have to have the same exact rule, regardless of the server's language. Otherwise there shouldn't be one server that's singled out to have to be so accomodating.

But I do agree with the person who said they don't speak English, I speak American too.

And I don't see how the currency that's accepted is even relevant. Not all fluent English speakers live in countries that are considered "English-speaking" countries. There are many english-speaking people that have moved to coutries that aren't considered "English-speaking".

DeletedUser

Vote Yes

Well, I read all the arguments for English only and they mostly sound ethnocentric to me. Diversity is what makes for a rich life.

I'm sure there are many other players like myself that are fluent in more than one language that would be willing help an admin if more more than a "web-translator" was needed. And I'm sure that most of the people using other languages are not just trying to hide what they are saying.

PS, maybe this is the end of the road for the English Language's day in the sun. So, one day soon perhaps many Americans will be struggling to relate to the world in a strange new language. Better to be kind now and hope to be shown kindness later too.

DeletedUser

reading some of those 'no' sayers' arguments, it is really hard not to slip into foul language or Politics. All I'm saying is, that the US reputation is not coming from nowhere...and it's especially sad for all of the Americans I know that do have a global mindset.

None of the arguments brought forward to enforce such a rule make sense. NONE; In any case I will get in touch directly with Innogames to complain about the "Community manager of the West"

Cheers,
Bonez

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

all of you that have voted no to this and have given the reason that this is an english game, i have a question for you.

how have the game bin so far?

there allready is towns out there right now that is non english speaking.
and im sure that most of you have had no problem whit it.

so why are this so big a problem for you?

and why make it so hard for people whit poor english skills to play a game we all like.

DeletedUser

Live and let live

Right off the bat you can see my name- so you know that I am part Japanese. By the time you finish reading this post (I hope) you will be satisfied with my grammer enough to know that my first language is English, and my secondary languages are Japanese, Spanish and Sign Language.

Here are the tenets of my argument:

1. I agree that the makers and moderators of this game have the right to designate the public activity (quests, help emails, etc.) language as English.

2. I disagree that English is "the best" or "the biggest" or even "the only" acceptable means of communication between individuals. (For those of you who think that English is taking over the world, go to about.com at http://geography.about.com/od/culturalgeography/a/10languages.htm and read about how there are more Spanish speakers and more than twice as many Chinese speakers on this planet as English!)

3. I take notice of the fact that the no discrimination rule will stay in effect. If you want to join a town that is in another language- you cannot be denied for that reason.

4. Finally. The main issue- should a group of people be allowed to create a non-English environment as long as it does not inhibit any rules or anyone else's gameplay? I SAY YES. If I (miraculously) found a dozen Japanese speakers, I would be quite happy to write them emails, and run my town's forum simultaniously in English and Japanese (identical posts to each language forum). This would solve the rule-breaking problem because either language is available to moderators and my Japanese skills would improve just as fast as their English would.

For those of you who still think your language (and I don't care which it is) is still the best. I prescribe a year in exile somewhere outside of your native hovel where you would realize how smart and powerful the speakers of the local tongue become and how much you feel like an animal because you can't even find the bathroom. Time to learn some old fashioned RESPECT for people who have undertaken the effort to communicate with more than just their initial clan.

DeletedUser529

I VOTED yes, if it allows players to further enjoy this game and the game only benefits from their presence.

DeletedUser

I vote yes. I think it shouldn't create that many problems if everyone respects their co-players. When you see that someone in the forum dosen't understand something, you can simply translate it to him.

DeletedUser

The West will be the time where the people came from everywhere to the new world. In New Orleans they spoke french and they learned english. In Los Angeles they spoke spanish and learned english. So it will be nesseceary that we have mutilingual citys. Cause people from the whole world are welcome.

I vote for yes! And sorry for my bad english, but I'm german.:p