• I would love to see this on the game.

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Yes.

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Neutral.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • No.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I deem this rasist, I say no strongly.

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Howdy,

This here will be my 2 cents worth. Lets start with the textbook definition:

1. Lynching, as a form of punishment for presumed criminal offenses, performed by self-appointed commissions, mobs, or vigilantes without due process of law took place in the United States before the American Civil War and after across the nation, from southern states to western frontier settlements.

2. In the South, members of the abolitionist movement or other people opposing slavery were usually targets of lynch mob violence before the Civil War.After the war, southern whites used lynching to terrorize and intimidate freed blacks who were voting and assuming political power. A study of the period of 1868 to 1871 estimates that the Ku Klux Klan was involved in more than 400 lynchings.

(This statement lends some credit to Celc Festus' statement) However...

3. Not all lynchings in the United States were targeted against African Americans and committed by the Ku Klux Klan. In 1868, 10 members of the Reno Gang, all Caucasian and between 20 and 30 years of age, were lynched on three separate occasions by vigilante mobs in Southern Indiana.

In Europe early examples of a similar phenomenon are found in the proceedings of the Vehmgerichte in medieval Germany, and of Lydford law, gibbet law or Halifax law in England and Cowper justice and Jeddart justice in Scotland.

There are also some personal accounts of lynching in Budapest, Hungary, during the 1956 Hungarian Revolution against the occupying Soviets.

On November 23, 2004, in the Tlahuac lynching, three Mexican undercover federal agents doing a narcotics investigation were lynched in the town of San Juan Ixtayopan (Mexico City) by an angry crowd who saw them taking photographs and mistakenly suspected they were trying to abduct children from a primary school.

According to an Amnesty International report, lynchings of Haitians and Dominicans accused of various crimes, ranging from theft to murder, have continued to occur as late as 2006.

In India, lynchings generally reflect tensions between numerous ethnic groups and castes in the country. Typically, lynchings involve upper-caste members attacking lower caste members.

So lynching is an act of violence against another person or persons by many others. It did gain notoriety by the KKK, however in addition to the above...

There were the Salem witch trials: The two courts convicted twenty-nine people of the capital felony of witchcraft. Nineteen of the accused, fourteen women and five men, were hanged.

If you are a fan of the west, you may have seen Hang Em High, a Clint Eastwood movie: A band of vigilantes catch Jed Cooper and, incorrectly believing him guilty of cattle rustling and murder, hang him and leave him for dead.

And so on... BUT enough of the history lesson, you can read for yourselves. Lets look at this topic as the thread is meant, from the point of view of the game.

The game is meant to be fun and to ATTRACT players. Whereas some might deem it fun to lynch someone, the recipient may not feel the same way. People were lynched against their will (no point otherwise) and that would lend to realism in-game, but even though the player may not be killed it could lend to bad feelings. This, like many things, could be useful in lending to a certain amount of realism, but would it be practical if abused as is more often than not the case by those that think such antics fun. I used to play Dark Throne and another MMORPG, both fun games for the most, but when players were "massed" (mass attacked) by others just to try to ruin their game or because they though it fun to "gang up" on someone it tainted the whole experience.

I am neither for nor against at the moment. It would be up to the developers to decide. What is needed is constructive ideas on how to make it workable and have a purpose.

Perhaps as opposed to a lynching within the game, a spam type thread for virtual lynching might be more useful.

Just food for thought and my 2 cents.

Now for a cold beer.

DeletedUser

Cyclone- what a numpty.
Anyway mixed thoughts on the lynching idea? It might lead to buggery:eek:

DeletedUser

I only read the first post and I'm sure someone has already pointed out how ridiculously ******ed this idea is. Lynching is hanging someone from a tree without a trial, and the practice of lynching is usually directly related to racism. I hope you're just ignorant and didn't understand what you were saying, but next time know what you're talking about before you speak.

DeletedUser

What is your mother feeding you, kid?

That's not lynching you idiot or at least that's not the connotations that lynching has. Lynching derived in the deep south of America and was carried out by the Ku Klux Klan, it was when a black person would be dragged out of their home for no reason and then hanged on a tree in their own garden and then left there just for being black.

So no not only is this a stupid idea it could be deemed as racist too.

You're a ******, I bet you've never been as far south as Tenesee to be saying dumb Yankee bull**** like that. The KKK is OVERLY exagerated as being racist. The KKK nowadays? Yeah, it's the most racist organization on the planet besides the NAACP and La Raza, but back in the late 1800's, early 1900's the KKK was a police force for the South especially during reconstruction when there was absolutely no one to protect the communities. The KKK was formed from a club as an evolution of the Confederate home guard, forget what you've heard on the History channel about them going out hanging blacks from trees and burning crosses and all that other malarkey - they hung a person for commiting a crime no matter what color he was. Black, white, purple it didn't matter. The early KKK was not even remotely as racist as the modern KKK that talks about killing Jews and how blacks are inferior etc. I'm not going to say the KKK didn't hang blacks, but I assure you it wasn't out of racial hatred. The CSA still existed to them and it was being occupied by a foreign enemy (The Union). Basically the law of the land was that a slave that was not in their owner's custody was considered a criminal and could be put to death but it really depended what state and county you were in. Some KKK groups acknowledged that the South had been lost to the North and never even bothered with the Blacks at all. To say that "Lynching" is an act commited by some kind of white KKK "guy" against a Black is the most idiotic dribble I've ever heard. Even this British or Australian guy knows more than you and he's from a different dang country. I had several ancestors that fought in the Civil War on both sides and from what notes/records my grandfather kept the general attitude was as much over an invasion of a country that seperated from a corrupt Union than about slavery. Every time someone sees the Confederate battle flag the first word to come out of their ignorant mouth is "Racism" or "Slavery." Want to know what's ironic about that? The first slave ports opened up in the Northern state of Massachusetts. Want to know what's even more ironic?! The Blacks that were "Freed" from slavery mostly starved to death in the streets (The ones that had not been granted land by the North) because northern employers wouldn't hire a "negro." Well, I think I'm done with that. Just take it to heart and don't make idiotic assumptions like that again, it pisses me off.

DeletedUser

I only read the first post and I'm sure someone has already pointed out how ridiculously ******ed this idea is. Lynching is hanging someone from a tree without a trial, and the practice of lynching is usually directly related to racism. I hope you're just ignorant and didn't understand what you were saying, but next time know what you're talking about before you speak.

It isn't a bad idea at all.I live far far away from US and things like racism and all.So I won't comment on that.

But all the western novel I read and movie I see lynching plays an important part in many of them.So it will nice to see it in the game too.I know its not exactly fair but the west wasn't very fair either :p

DeletedUser1865

I'm black and I find the word lynching to be offensive. It is a very offensive word, you dont want to offend anyone. Rapes are a part of the world and were a part of the west, but do we want to include that in the game? No because it would offend people. I as a black person would be offended if I were playing a game and I got lynched. especially since my character is black. If you think lynching should be included, maybe slave should have been a class we should have been able to choose from. Slaves were a part of the west too! And Brothels, why cant we build them in our towns? Maya looks like a painted lady to me. so where are the prostitutes? This game is not intended to offend anyone. It would be stupid to put things like this into the game. I personally think this thread should be closed before something is said that starts trouble.

DeletedUser

I'm black and I find the word lynching to be offensive. It is a very offensive word, you dont want to offend anyone. Rapes are a part of the world and were a part of the west, but do we want to include that in the game? No because it would offend people. I as a black person would be offended if I were playing a game and I got lynched. especially since my character is black. If you think lynching should be included, maybe slave should have been a class we should have been able to choose from. Slaves were a part of the west too! And Brothels, why cant we build them in our towns? Maya looks like a painted lady to me. so where are the prostitutes? This game is not intended to offend anyone. It would be stupid to put things like this into the game. I personally think this thread should be closed before something is said that starts trouble.

Being a Southern Gentleman, I am offended by the depiction of the Union flag as a reward. The Norths war of aggression and unlawful occupation of my country has been going on for far to long. You announcing your race on a message board more then likely offends a white supremacist. My great grandparents hate all things German (Due to their familys being killed in WWII) the very existence of a German made game would offend them.

Where do you stop trying to not offend people? Where is the line? Would you be satisfied drawing that line? Because I wouldn't be comfortable doing that myself.

DeletedUser

Can i just point out that this game is not solely confined to American players and that a narrow period of your history does not define a term for the rest of us. When i picture a lyching it is of a 17th centuary peasant being strung up by villagers.
However, as it has been made a deal of, perhaps we can call it 'hanging'? It's a less precise term because it does not have the connotations of an extra-judicial process that lyching does, but i guess it will do. Anyways the original idea was a good one so can we get on with discussing it?

DeletedUser

So people get offended by the term ''Lynching'' so they could name it something else? It doesnt really bother me what they call it, cause I can always say it was my idea :> So go shag yourself if you dont want to know. It doesnt happen nowheredays so to be honest I dont think anyone should be offended. I'm Jewish, when I see the swastica it doesnt bother me? Cause I know, whats done is done, nothing can change it. Whoever I offended in this post, I couldnt care less.

DeletedUser

For god's sake (if there is one), how is it racist, I dont care if your black white pink or green it's not racist, I live in Britain and have BLACK friends they would be offended by you saying that is racist and laugh in your face, muppets!

DeletedUser

Silas Redwood: Wow, after reading your post my pride as an American plummeted at what people think about a an organization that focused on the degradation of Blacks and the destruction of their lives and homes. Lynching without a trial or as much as a motive other than the color of someone's skin is not a police force that protected the Confederacy, it is a terrorist organization. You spew out lies and only evidence you have to back up what you say is the notes of your grandfather about the Civil War. Let me guess, your grandfather lived in the South during the height of racial tensions, so I can tell you what he says is extremely biased. Here's a history lesson for you, the Confederacy formed from seceeded states and their was no military conflict until Confederate armies attacked Fort Sumter. Do not call the Civil War a Union invasion when the Confederacy fired the first shot. I assume you've never heard any of this because you have never been north of the MD line.

DeletedUser

OK I stopped reading after the person called me ******ed because I was too amused that someone had the ignorance to asses my character by a couple of posts. I also don't value some opinions on this forum as it's clearly just friends supporting each other and for that person who told me I was a Yank I'm actually English so I'm quite impartial I have no prejudices against people from the deep south it really doesn't make any difference where you are from.

Call me what you like say what you like about me or lynching but the point I was making is that for many people the word lynching has racist connotations at no point did i say that lynching was a racist word. I'm neither stupid nor arrogant enough to suggest that lynching was carried out solely against blacks but from my personally experience if you mention lynching then automatically people think of the KKK's attacks on African Americans. That is not my opinion that is from my own personal life experience so please don't start making snide comments about it because you're wrong.

To the person who claimed that the KKK were not always racist I'd just like to say that in modern times at least the KKK have been an extremist group in the way that they persecuted anyone who was not WASP so please don't say that they weren't racist.

Also I will not apologise for being able to articulate myself properly. There are different versions of this game and if a domain does not appear in a specific language the game's makers or any players cannot expect me to speak English in a ******ed way just so that the probable minority of the people can understand it. You should think before you post as i know that if i was playing a game in another language which i did not have a very advanced knowledge of i would not log onto the forums as i know that i would not be able to answer any posts in a coherent manner.

Finally addressing the topic properly besides the fact that i deem the word lynching racist, it is irrelevant because i think that it is a stupid idea no matter what you call it. please do not launch more personal insults at myself because I'm entitled to my opinions.

Having read on a bit further I'm sorry if anyone thought i was calling them racists i wasn't i just thought that the name of the idea was completely unacceptable, me saying that in my opinion the word lynching has racist connotations wasn't meant to meant that i thought Jack or anyone else who likes this idea is racist.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

.........i would not log onto the forums as i know that i would not be able to answer any posts in a coherent manor.

That folks is ironic, Lol!

Seriously, I tend to a agree. Most of the media is right wing in the US, so unless you're an informed US citizen then you may not have a great view on the subect. I mean, lets not forget that the KKK morphed into the gun club which is still a major player in US opinion, courted for their votes by Mc.Cain, but, I doubt by Obahma!

Now don't go saying I'm calling all republicans lynchers, I'm just saying cyclone is right, when you picture lynching it's white guys stringing up a black guy. Unsuitably political for an online game, like this thread....

DeletedUser

Silas Redwood: Wow, after reading your post my pride as an American plummeted at what people think about a an organization that focused on the degradation of Blacks and the destruction of their lives and homes. Lynching without a trial or as much as a motive other than the color of someone's skin is not a police force that protected the Confederacy, it is a terrorist organization. You spew out lies and only evidence you have to back up what you say is the notes of your grandfather about the Civil War. Let me guess, your grandfather lived in the South during the height of racial tensions, so I can tell you what he says is extremely biased. Here's a history lesson for you, the Confederacy formed from seceeded states and their was no military conflict until Confederate armies attacked Fort Sumter. Do not call the Civil War a Union invasion when the Confederacy fired the first shot. I assume you've never heard any of this because you have never been north of the MD line.

...Did you even read what I posted or did you just skim it and then post this dumb stuff? Slaves were generally black right? The KKK didn't just find random Blacks roaming the South after the Civil War and go "Lynch 'Em!" There was documentation involved, as well as trials that while the jury might have been all white - were not racist! Like I said before, they hung whites just as often as they hung blacks. There was nothing racist about the KKK back then, you watch too much T.V. kid. About Fort Sumter, Did you know that South Carolina (Which Fort Sumter was also located in) seceded from the Union just after Lincoln took office. The Union declared war on the South before Fort Sumter was ever attacked by the South. After the initial diplomatic tactics of trying to get the Fort to surrender peacefully through the entire month of March, it was besieged instead as it was a Union military installation on Confederate soil. And no, actually I live in Nevada. Lived in Nevada my whole life as a matter of fact.

DeletedUser

Cyclone I forgive you :) I mean I see where ur coming from but this is 2008 and not the 1800's (or whatever).
I mean the word lynching was usually condoned when a man/woman was lynched and hung or burnt (I said usually u picky gets), whether they be white or black, just because the clux clan used the term lynching doesn't mean its a racist word.
A lot of white men got lynched back in the day, I mean come on this is fricken stupid.

I don't like the term "Soccer" we use "Football" but I don't take offence, I just don't like it (there is a difference), no big deal is it?

Man I call my Black friends "Nigg@" and they call me "Nigg@" when I'm actualy white, its all about individuals.
As for using ur race/skin colour as a weapon is pathetic.

DeletedUser

Danzeman I know what you mean and personally I'm not really that offended about this post i just have black friends who would be. I mean i doubt that this would be called lynching if it was incorporated because we live in such a PC world anyway, i can remember when everyone kicked off in tribal wars when there was a christmas tree in the villages, people are just ridiculous sometimes.

DeletedUser

To the person who claimed that the KKK were not always racist I'd just like to say that in modern times at least the KKK have been an extremist group in the way that they persecuted anyone who was not WASP so please don't say that they weren't racist.

Are you kidding me? We can't say something about the past because of the present?

Seriously, I tend to a agree. Most of the media is right wing in the US, so unless you're an informed US citizen then you may not have a great view on the subect. I mean, lets not forget that the KKK morphed into the gun club which is still a major player in US opinion, courted for their votes by Mc.Cain, but, I doubt by Obahma!

You must not be an American, or if you are you are very young. The above statement is false. Blatantly so. And as for "Obamha" you should see his flip flops on the second amendment..

"DC gun laws = good, yet he's glad the supreme court struck them down, yet it should be up to the local authority to ban guns, yes the DC gun laws were unconstitutional."

Of course good luck getting a vote from a gun owner after calling us all racist, bible thumping, bitter Americans...

DeletedUser

You must not be an AmericanBrit, or if you are you are very young. The above statement is false. Blatantly so. Yes, your evidence is conclusive.:rolleyes: And as for "Obamha" you should see his flip flops on the second amendment..

"DC gun laws = good, yet he's glad the supreme court struck them down, yet it should be up to the local authority to ban guns, yes the DC gun laws were unconstitutional."electioneering, they all do it

Of course good luck getting a vote from a gun owner after calling us all racist, bible thumping, bitter Americans.. Are you saying I'm after democratic votes from gun owners or card carrying gun club members, or that they are the same thing?:S:rolleyes:

I wasn't setting out to do some electioeering, I was pointing out the centrality of right wing views to mainstream politics and media. but with a week to go in the most important US election in more than a generation I guess we're both forgiven;)

Just one more week.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.