• Of course I do

Votes: 70 35.4%
  • Only in war situations

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Only if I know they actively duel

Votes: 35 17.7%

• Total voters

DeletedUser

I'm a roleplayer at heart so I play it according to the "character" I've elected to play. In this world I'll only attack workers in enemy towns, and even then they have low priority for me. In some other worlds (W4 for instance) my character has a nasty streak and goes for the cash, regardless - although in that game my character fashions himself as a "bounty hunter" and so has a quirky preference for taking cash from thieving duelers spotted at towns not their own... ;)

On a more serious note, IMO the game system itself is at fault for awarding dueling XPs based on level alone, as most people who attack "workers" do so purely because they can attack much higher levels in relative safety and so gain the best dueling XPs.

Whatever happened to realistically taking challenge, risk, danger (i.e. Character Class) into account? What precisely does a dueler learn from attacking unskilled - and often unarmed - workers, that would actually justify such high "experience gained"?

In essence, the problem is blown up into something so major simply because of this lack of realism in the basic game design. It is a serious flaw in an otherwise very good dueling system.

DeletedUser3543

On a more serious note, IMO the game system itself is at fault for awarding dueling XPs based on level alone, as most people who attack "workers" do so purely because they can attack much higher levels in relative safety and so gain the best dueling XPs.

Whatever happened to realistically taking challenge, risk, danger (i.e. Character Class) into account? What precisely does a dueler learn from attacking unskilled - and often unarmed - workers, that would actually justify such high "experience gained"?

Well, I think for the lower levels it gives an opportunity to gain lots of experience very quickly, rise up through the levels, and distribute skill points to the skills you want to effectively tackle higher level duellers.

Workers get their revenge though, because later on in the game they become VERY difficult to 'damage' and can get some serious revenge if they put their skill points in the right place - add that to the extended 'life' they gain from putting attributes to red.....

DeletedUser

@Silverado - Well that is all and good but really this thread is just about your personal decision in this particular world on your game play style when it comes to dueling workers. It is not a soap box to bash on the system or inferring people that attack workers are somehow less of a player for doing so.

At higher levels, if a worker decides to respec to a dueler they can usually do so with great success. All that health, toughness, and vigor from being pure Strength means dueling workers can pack a punch and take one without falling down.

DeletedUser

On the contrary, I inferred nothing of the sort. I was simply pointing out why this is such a major problem in the game, evidenced by the very fact that someone starts topics like this, as if it's all about personal choice.

The only "personal choice" here is whether you want to keep up with the others by also doing it, or whether you want to fall steadily further behind in levels by not doing it. End of.

But whatever, let's all stick our heads in the sand and pretend the fault lies entirely with the players themselves, shall we?

DeletedUser

I started the topic, not someone. If you are going to call me out then use my name. Don't play word games. I don't play world 9. I have no personal interest regarding anything that happens in world 9.

Who you hit is always a personal choice. Every single duel you initiate or decide not to initiate is a personal choice. Everyone plays the game differently and they have their own reasons for making the decisions they do. Considering your federations policy is to not hit workers in neutral towns I don't see why you are so bent out of shape about players that do. I assume sometimes you hit workers and sometimes you don't based on circumstances. Those circumstances are created by choices you make within the game and by choices others make that affect you. You seem to be saying that if you don't hit workers that you will fall behind somehow from players that do hit workers. That sir would be false. I had a top 3 dueler in world 3 and I never hit a worker. That was my choice not to. If I had hit workers could I have been #1? Possibly.

I specifically put in the starting thread that this was not to turn into a flame fest based on what a players choice was. Please refrain from pointing fingers at anyone for their answers simply because you don't agree with them.

This poll was started to get a snapshot of the dueling strategies/attitudes on world 9. It was not meant as a condemnation towards anyone for those strategies or attitudes and we will keep this topic free of such. Any propaganda anyone wishes to dispense can be done in a separate thread.

DeletedUser

I specifically put in the starting thread that this was not to turn into a flame fest based on what a players choice was. Please refrain from pointing fingers at anyone for their answers simply because you don't agree with them.

Again with the accusations! All I did was point out why people make the choice they do in relation to attacking workers, which is absolutely 100% pertinent to this thread.

At no point have I "pointed the finger" at anyone, nor do I anywhere here seek to pass judgment for what that choice is, one way or the other. I haven't "flamed" anyone, other than perhaps by offering constructive opinion as to why many feel forced into making the choice they do.

The only one being "flamed" here is me, and why? Because I dared to suggest the game isn't quite perfect and that there is a serious flaw affecting how people "choose" to play this game?

Well, pardon me for mentioning it. I'll shut up.

DeletedUser

no dont shut up silverado. I love reading your posts. it makes me understand how "not" to put your foot in it all the time. I learn a lot from you. Although you are admitting now that you hit workers as to not be left behind? where as you always said before that you didnt hit worker... especially certain towns.. :p

Keep up the good work :)

DeletedUser

Ripp3r that goes for you too! Leave comments about a players game play to other threads please.

Silverado, I apologize if you feel I was being harsh towards you. I would like to keep this thread as a simple poll, or a survey if you will, about workers being hit in world 9. If you would like to start a thread about the mechanics of the game and how you feel it forces certain players to play a certain way that would be most welcome and an interesting debate. It would also fit in better in the Saloon section of the forum since it affects all worlds.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

@ Ripp3r

My very first post in this thread, in the very first paragraph, makes it perfectly clear that I both do and don't attack workers regularly, depending on the "character" I am playing in that particular world. It's called roleplaying. I therefore have no opinion either way and no axe to grind against anyone for the choice they make.

What I do have a problem with is that a significant portion of the players feel obliged to attack workers so they don't fall too far behind in XPs.

What about that is so difficult to understand, or must you always twist my words to suit your petty trolling?

DeletedUser3543

Ripp3r that goes for you too! Leave comments about a players game play to other threads please.

Silverado, I apologize if you feel I was being harsh towards you. I would like to keep this thread as a simple poll, or a survey if you will, about workers being hit in world 9. If you would like to start a thread about the mechanics of the game and how you feel it forces certain players to play a certain way that would be most welcome and an interesting debate. It would also fit in better in the Saloon section of the forum since it affects all worlds.

To be fair your original post states 'cast your vote and your reason why'.

I would guess that people explaining the reason why they do or don't hit workers would still be keeping things 'on topic' ;)

DeletedUser

Trolling? I was just reiterating what you had said. not really twisting your words. I'm here for fun and you provide me with a lot of laughs I can't help that sorry :(... don't take things to serious.

Anyway, hitting workers imo is bad play unless in war but then again what do I care.

DeletedUser

Interesting dog eat dawg. You do realize that workers can have a dueling level at least +5 their character level just from winning against NPCs in the quests.

No...I never gained a dueling level from quests. As a worker I gained 1 dueling level because I won a random 1 duel out of the 80 I lost, which is why I said 2 dueling levels, that way it's more than just a fluke win.

Then after those 80 losses to 1 win, I re-speced and got about 60 wins without losses on the people who picked on me while I was busy building up a town. Of course, as I re-speced, I bought dueling clothes. If people thought I was disguised as a worker but was really a dueler, why would I wear purely construction clothes with a wrench as a weapon for so long :p

DeletedUser3543

No...I never gained a dueling level from quests. As a worker I gained 1 dueling level because I won a random 1 duel out of the 80 I lost, which is why I said 2 dueling levels, that way it's more than just a fluke win.

Then after those 80 losses to 1 win, I re-speced and got about 60 wins without losses on the people who picked on me while I was busy building up a town. Of course, as I re-speced, I bought dueling clothes. If people thought I was disguised as a worker but was really a dueler, why would I wear purely construction clothes with a wrench as a weapon for so long :p

How would people know the difference from before you respecced to after - having their arses kicked aside :p

DeletedUser

Because now my dueling level is significantly higher than my base level, and I'm in dueling clothes all the time :p

Tomahawks and conquistador swords do a tad more damage than wrenches :)

DeletedUser

So you believe in not attacking workers but if someone does you will gladly go down their lvl instead of attacking the ones who did it?

If they avoided dueling my dueler, then yes.

DeletedUser

get for real

For starters let me say (i live in Airzona, US.... (the true wild west. i openly cary my pistol on my hip, everyday, everywhere... in real life)

Your playing a "ROLE PLAYING GAME" set in the west, so that being said, how can this be such a big deal????? in "The West" you were targeted by chance or bad luck of your own...(thats why ppl for the most part armed themselves) if you were caught "laxing" then thats ur ass or ur money....its the west.

how can you take a "Role Playing" game, that is set (In a time frame and a mindset) thats lawless and un-moraly just, and say.....one way or another, that your justified in playing a certian way or another way is wrong....making a call on this proves only one thing...(you better stay out the true "WEST" )In the true "The West" you would be shot for being a busy body or just for being dumb.....

so i say "who cares",,,,,,, some do some dont.....mind your own ranch...it dont matter.....The West is WILD if you dont like it....move back east

Hannibal

DeletedUser

i am a builder. I dont care if i am dueled or not. (i doubt if i would win lol)There are many ways to stop your money being stolen. As a town leader we asked all of our fighters not to attack builders unless that town attacks ours. As i think its bad taste to do so. On the other hand in a lawless place like the west the gun rules if your the best whos going to stop you.

DeletedUser

I atk everyone, everyday, everytime.

Don't care if they are workers or not. Just want the XP. If I atk someone from another class I want challenge.

DeletedUser

I am a soldier on W1 and a builder here on W9.

If we look at this on an individual level, we each make our own choice at level 10. If I choose to be a dueler, that's because I intend to duel. Anyone should be a fair game. I don't make much from jobs. I want to gain XP fast so I can move up in ranks and levels.
Now, if we look at this on a community level. There are towns all around. Each town, large or small, has something to offer to someone. The precise shotgun that I need, the fancy felt hat that I want to buy, the Quarter Horse that I ride on...came from a joint effort. The townies donate the money so the builders can build. As a result, I get to buy some nice items. If I go out to hit others' workers, sure enough they will come to hit mine. It might be all fine for me cause I can fight my own battles. But what does this mean to my own workers? If they get KO'ed, they can't build for at least 8 hours. Worse yet, if they just get hit frequent enough, they could barely work.
With this in my conscience, and to embrace the concept of community building, which is what this game is about, I say no to hitting workers. Even in times of war, I hardly hit workers. What am I proving I ask myself.

Rankings are overrated.

DeletedUser

I don`t hit workers unless they are reskilled melee fighters and hitting friends of mine! :)

1. They are so helpless creatures (if not reskilled) and no challenge.
2. I like developt cities and you never know how everything turns out in the end. (Making enemies is simple... )
3. They barely give EXP, and the stats aren`t representive in the first place! :nowink:
4. If I need cash, I do a decent job (clearing the forest, silver mining, Building coffins (For the latest KO`s cause they stink if they rott))
5. If I`d duel workers, my motivation would be so low I wouldn`t get EXP from the duels with soldiers and duellers!