Dueling needs some important changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

I agree that the "dueling challenged" should be given some notice and be allowed to change clothes/equipment if duelled, but I don't think it should be an automatic thing. I would just like to have a 10 minute warning when the duel actually starts, and to be allowed to change clothes during that time. I don't expect to automatically become equipped for it if I'm dumb enough to leave my character awake and idle when I'm not in the game.

The way it is now, I can't change for a new job until a duel is over. If someone challenges from their town and then travels for 45 minutes to get to my town, I have to wait for up to 55 minutes to move on to my next job. At times like this, I'm much more tempted to just go to the hotel and sleep since I can't do what I wanted to do, so it's not really a benefit for anyone.

DeletedUser

The dueling system is stacked in favor of the attacker, not necessarily the dueler class, and there in lies the problem. The attacker can look to see what level I am and also see what I am wearing at the time he lunches the attack. Now I am 11-3 in duels at this point, of the 3 duels I won 2 where ones that I attacked the other person. The thing is as the attacker I have never lost, because I set my gear up for the attack before hand and picked targets that were close to my level, but not higher. With this system I can almost never loose, and I’m not even the dueling class, add in the extra advantages of the dueling class and it’s even more lopsided.

By allowing a player to have 2 item setups it would allow everyone to that wants to do jobs to have a more even playing field with those that want to duel, that’s all, it would not take away any of the advantages that a dueler has.

I would also propose that people can’t see others dueling levels or what they are wearing if you’re not going to implement some kind of incoming duel warning system, that would stop the beating up of lower levels.

DeletedUser

Something I do that I haven't seen mentioned for protecting myself is watching my town rather than my character when I work. If I see someone at the town, I check to see if he/she is any threat. If I expect to be dueled, and likely to lose, I change as many items as I can that give more protection. I still lose a lot of the times (for one thing, I don't watch the game 24/7), but I've still won more than I've lost; I think I'm at 28 wins and 20 losses right now. If I can't change because I've already been challenged and I'm close to town, I try to get there in time to deposit before I lose. Out of close to 50 duels, I've probably lost a total of about $20.

DeletedUser

A fair say 10 minute warning system is definitely in order, it doesn't cheat the attacker and means if you are lucky you cann lose less from duels sometimes particularly if you're quite active.

This idea is very sensible I can't see why all the duelers are really angry: its only 10 minutes lol.:dry:

DeletedUser

I don't think many duellers have a problem with it. i'd go further and say that a warning should happen from the moment a duel is instigated. I sometimes click on a duel to a distant player, the duel will take place hours after it was instigated. it seems reasonable that the person should get warning if they are online that they got a dueller on their tail.

DeletedUser

If I had a warning I'd quit griping about duelers. In fact I'd even quit calling them yellowbellied bushwhackers. If I lost cause I ignored a warning of an impending duel then it would be my fault. There have been times I have left my char active and gone to work (duh me) and didn't complain about that. I am pissed because I don't know until I check my reports that I even HAD a duel let alone lost it!

DeletedUser2708

As opposed to money, motivation, and movement.

With this system I can almost never loose, and I’m not even the dueling class, add in the extra advantages of the dueling class and it’s even more lopsided.

Not sure I see your point. The only class with advantages that directly impact a duel, that is, that actually make a difference to whether you win or lose, is the soldier, and one of those only works when the soldier is on the defensive.

DeletedUser

I've said from the beginning that I thought just giving a warning when the duel starts would make a huge difference. These days, being able to change clothes and equipment while being challenged is more important to me. I'd be willing to continue getting ambushed while working if they'd allow me to get ready for my next job even if someone is on the way to my town to beat my brains in.

DeletedUser

I think you should be notified you are Going to be dueled you have 10mins to bank like you wouldnt see a thug coming! if you are unlucky by being further then your town bank tough Cookie's , What you going to say to a thug who say's "give me your money or i will stab you" , "oh wait a minuite while i bank it!" I Dont think so perhaps skills like hide could buy you 1 miniute every point? or swim if there is a river near by but you would have to be online to even accept the banking option? Nah People choose their class so live with it! I say!
I am a cav on w1 and on w4 im a prospector I get hit I tell the town, yeah its annoying, but this are the choice's we make! whining about a dueler hello his techniically a criminal that whole class is? I wasnt under gun duress when i decided To be a prospector i knew the risk's Perhaps the west should give people a warning choosing this class make you susceptable to attack's, choosing this class means you cant build for s##t but you can tie your shoe Lace!

T.

DeletedUser3773

If you keep all you money on you and lose it in duels thats your fault, pay attention and deposit your money after every 2-3 shifts if you are worried

And I am a Worker in 2 worlds and an Adventurer in 2 worlds (though in W2 I duel others and have stolen $350 in one duel, if you got 1K on you and you think your safe then you have problems)

DeletedUser

I too honestly they should not let people duel you when u are working. i am a dueler myself and i still think that u could still be able to attack the person but should given a warning signal. chances are they will not band it so you should just get dueling lvl up. or just quit the town. that is not my favorite idea but if you really wanted to make money that is what u might have to do. hard workers like yourself should really get a chance to relize that you are going to be attacked. to summarize i totally agree with you.

DeletedUser

hmm

very interesting replies here, but the issue is not being safe about the money I earned while being dueled, I understand Duelers can't do jobs, etc. But there needs to be some defense mechanics to make it harder for Duelers (they are outranked until level 20ish) since we can reset our skills after re-thievry quests) and then perhaps defend better of duelers. But whats the points of Dueling someone for a lousy $0 or $6 that is what most duelers get from me or my town members. (as we tell them how to prevent being dueled). I remember at one point a dueler beat me and didn't get any cash but 20 exp+ points that is nearly double/triple of what a job can give to workers/builders.

Infact I was lucky to even win a duel (someone attacked me) I won $50 and 50 exp points) from it. But of what I see duelers seem to be giving a unfair advantage when it comes out dueling based on jobs. They usually get a good double to triple better benefits then workers, which in my view is quite rediculas. I will be completing the re-thievry quest in a few days so i can reset my skills soon. But I still do believe that people who hate being a dueler or non violent person should be able to defend them, even with upgrading our skills, would make us not be able to do some jobs... cause we have to defend against duelers which would make it so we cant advance and people would quit... just my thoughts and opinions about it. :p

DeletedUser

The way it is now, I can't change for a new job until a duel is over. If someone challenges from their town and then travels for 45 minutes to get to my town, I have to wait for up to 55 minutes to move on to my next job. At times like this, I'm much more tempted to just go to the hotel and sleep since I can't do what I wanted to do, so it's not really a benefit for anyone.

You CAN change gear while being dueled, only the attacker has his gear locked.

Case: I checked the report just when finishing a job, and saw a soldier in my town. The duel hadn't occurred yet, so I canceled the scheduled job and went to the hotel (7 minutes away). Changed clothes, checked again for duel report. 2 minutes later, the duel occurred. So effectively I changed clothes during the duel (and I won).
You cannot change clothes if you're working a highly skilled job, and you need the clothes for it (or for a scheduled job).
Another time, another soldier, but this time I was less than 1 minute from town. I went to sleep before the duel, don't know if the attacker canceled it, lost the energy and motivation, or the game denied the duel.

The dueler doesn't have an advantage, but the attacker has. Me, as a builder attacked a soldier who was harassing me (lower level, higher dueling level) and won every time.

DeletedUser

It must have just been a fluke then. I have received the message that I couldn't change during a duel, and I hadn't challenged anyone.

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
So why aren't duellers top of the rankings?

I think the rankings will probably change now that everyone is settled in, I'm an adventurer but still a good dueler, as far as I can see I make around 90xp per hit and each hit is about 20minutes with traveling time.

There's no drawbacks to that really but the top ranks at the moment didn't grow in competition. Now there's lots of people to prey on.

DeletedUser

I think you'll find that duelling slows down quite a lot as you climb up.

DeletedUser

I think he's right about it,
you cant get attacked when you are a sleep,
but if you work you can get attacked?!
Thats weird

DeletedUser

You should put skills into Tactics, Aim and Vigor/Shooting as well as your Construction skills so you can defend from duelers.

Status
Not open for further replies.