Let's clear this up

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

As most of you already know, there was some rather heated allegations posed against me by some disgruntled players. Since it's never a good thing to leave falsehoods lingering, I'll address those pertaining to my participation ingame, as a player in worlds 7 and 11:

I participated in world 11 as a mercenary fort war leader (attack only), hired on (for free) by ANY town that wished to either win forts, learn how to win forts on their own, or help bump up the skillz of their citizenry. I held no loyalties and entertained no alliances. If I participated as a lead in a fort war, of which I participated only in attacks, and not always as the commander, it was merely for the fun of the battle and for the entertainment of all participants.

One thing to note is that I did not, and do not, tolerate hostilities or insults within the ranks. Those who fought together were directed to treat each other with respect, be civil, and to refrain from laying blame. Every fort war was an opportunity for fun, xp, and learning. Anything beyond that falls within the realm of unhealthy, and that was not something I would cater to.

Some would lead you to believe I held animosities towards certain players, townships, or alliances in world 11. This is patently false. Not only did I not have any associations, I held no flags nor favors. In fact, conflicts never occurred, nor were there any grievances, hostilities, or even casual chat with the parties alleged. To put it bluntly, certain conspiracy theorists lied through their teeth or were simply grossly misinformed.

As to world 7, my participation has ALWAYS been as a leader of our townships. In fact, our town was ranked in the top 2 since I was merely a player, and only as a friendship towards the #1 town, Circus, did we not vie for the #1 spot. The allegations posed about my being "self-esteem invested" in world 7 are, once again, patently false. I participate because I enjoy it (just like anyone else who plays this game), because the citizens of our towns want me to lead, and because they're always pushing me to do more to keep them entertained. It's fun, but it's also a bit of work -- a chore at times. Still, it is through our participation in world 7 that it remains fun and active.

There were claims of unsuccessful fort attacks in world 7, and indeed there were. BPA attacked our fort, and was unsuccessful. We attacked BPA's fort in retaliation, and BPA was unsuccessful in defending it. BPA again attacked our fort, and was again unsuccessful. BPA again attacked our fort, and was again unsuccessful. For sheer craps and giggles, we attacked another of their forts at a non-standard time, and we were expectedly unsuccessful.

All other fort wars were not initiated by us, although we did have citizens participate because, well, that's what we do. Are there any animosities? Any angers, any pent up hostilities? Nope, none at all. In fact, we welcome the entertainment. Every attack on our forts, every attack we initiate, every fort war we participate in, every duel every dance, we come in with guns blazing and bladders full. We come in waltzin' for a shoot-out, then urinate on the corpses of our opposition. Pure fun, plain and simple.

I came into world 11 with the specific intent of helping people to learn how to be good fort warriors and generals, demanding free shopping rights in return. For the most part I enjoyed good spirits and friendly chatter. I came into world 7 with the specific intent to pwn and help carry our townships into the top rankings. I have had, and will continue to have, a rockin' good time on both worlds.

And apologies on anyone abiding the agony of accounting this assuredly self-absorbed anatomy of an avid artisan.

Adieu

DeletedUser

Apology

Hellstromm,

I liked what you said, it was well presented and placed into context.

Sometime, I hope that as you wrote, that you will see I have the same goals, and do help many young players out. I'm not attached to to TW forum, as some people are, I do more reading than replies. Unless it has something to do with myself or my alliance.

Wishing you well in the game. And I'm glad to know that many things have been cleared up.

Carolann

DeletedUser16628

Clear no issues, Hellstromm well put and your welcome to keep doing what you do best as I see it.

DeletedUser22500

well when you are in the chats in w11 talking crazy (i spit on you shoes) and other remarks of coarse everyone is going to talk bad about you. you came into a peaceful chat room and turned it upside down in a matter of 10 min so that does say something..I never been in a chat room before that went from everyone peacefull to everyone fighting each other. If you are the all mighty like you say you are that would not be happening. You came to the chat and started to disrespected a lot of players and that was not right!! but yet you think it is ok..;):p

DeletedUser

well when you are in the chats in w11 talking crazy (i spit on you shoes) and other remarks of coarse everyone is going to talk bad about you.
Hi headpot, who is this addressed to?

ALOT of us WOULD like to know whats going on straight from you, rather than from the rumors flying around right now :D
j dahl, instead of violating forum rules by asking the mods on the forums why someone may be banned, you should simply ask that banned person directly, and in private. And if they don't want to tell you, then take the hint. This is the same sort of mistake that started all the drama in the first place, with people speculating, throwing out wild hair falsehoods, on things that are really none of their business in the first place.

DeletedUser

Personally I still think Hellstromm is responsible for the extinction of the dinosaurs, the disparity between the rich and poor, and the recent economic troubles that the world is trying to cope with. and more personally the fact that I don't make as much money as I want to in real life and in The West. Other then that, and the obvious fact that he is an offspring of Satan, Dahaka, and Kali with a little bit of Barny the Dinosaur rolled in there I tend to find him mostly amusing, and an enjoyable person to fight against in fort battles or on rare times to even work with.

as for allegations and rumors on forums and whatnot I tend to follow the old adage. "arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics, even if you win you are still a ******."

(I imagine that might earn me my first ding... I do know it's not P.C. but there is a dark side of me that does tend to still laugh a bit at it.)

Oh well keep fighting Hellstromm.

I mean no disrespect to those that are differently abled. however I do mean a bit of disrespect to many of those that get into heated arguments over a game and actually take what people say to heart. I mean really how much do these people affect your real life?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I wouldn't worry about it. This seems like an issue you would constantly face playing the game and being in a high position of power. I wouldn't worry about it hellstromm everyone needs a fall guy. :unsure:

DeletedUser23629

This is why mods shouldn't be players. Situations like this shouldn't happen.

DeletedUser

Then again if they weren't players people would say there were disconnected from the game and out of touch with the player base. Leave him alone let him play his game:rolleyes:

DeletedUser21320

Then again if they weren't players people would say there were disconnected from the game and out of touch with the player base. Leave him alone let him play his game

No, people would not say that. Many games have moderators who pay attention to the game without playing. The non-playing moderators have more time and freedom to see what's going on all over the world, instead of getting embroiled in a local situation.

Besides the power issue, a playing moderator may have to make a choice between his playing time (especially with these bizarre timed quests) and his moderating time. That should never be a possibility.

DeletedUser

Good luck finding non-playing volunteers to professionally moderate. It is not my actions that are the problem, it is the actions of non-moderating opportunists who think to make an issue where there is none, either to rally on an assumed slight, to distract from their own violation of rules, or many other illegitimate motives. As it is, ingame moderators occasionally have to guide the misinformed, spank the deviant, and otherwise take out the trash. If you think a non-playing moderator will be free of abuse, free of suspicion, be it allegations of twinking, favoritism, or other forms of corruption, then you are simply either grossly ignorant, or deliberately misrepresenting the bite and charm of what it is to be a moderator.

This thread was presented to explain my INGAME PLAYER activity, NOT to explain my moderating activity. Plain and simple, I will NOT explain what I do as a moderator. It's the chore I have been asked to perform, and I do not report to the player base, I report to Innogames. You have a problem with a moderator's performance and/or actions, you do NOT create a riot within the community, do NOT post in the forums to rally a lynching mob. You contact a representative of Innogames. Any actions differing from this will result in sanctions, up to and including a permanent ban.

It's just that simple.

DeletedUser15169

:cool::dry::blink::p:unsure::laugh: im not even going to reply to any threads started by the moderators anymore

DeletedUser

Hellstromm

I don't know what this thread is dealing with, but I will go on record saying this:

Hellstromm has been nothing but professional in all dealings I have had with him. He is here to help people become better leaders. I can't imagine him being negative in any chat. That said, he has cost us quite a few forts--but only because he is very good at what he does. Perhaps I am clueless--it is a distinct possibility, but I have a hard time believing that Hellstromm is doing anything in the game that is selfish or destructive!

DeletedUser21320

Good luck finding non-playing volunteers to professionally moderate. It is not my actions that are the problem, it is the actions of non-moderating opportunists who think to make an issue where there is none, either to rally on an assumed slight, to distract from their own violation of rules, or many other illegitimate motives. As it is, ingame moderators occasionally have to guide the misinformed, spank the deviant, and otherwise take out the trash. If you think a non-playing moderator will be free of abuse, free of suspicion, be it allegations of twinking, favoritism, or other forms of corruption, then you are simply either grossly ignorant, or deliberately misrepresenting the bite and charm of what it is to be a moderator.

This thread was presented to explain my INGAME PLAYER activity, NOT to explain my moderating activity. Plain and simple, I will NOT explain what I do as a moderator. It's the chore I have been asked to perform, and I do not report to the player base, I report to Innogames. You have a problem with a moderator's performance and/or actions, you do NOT create a riot within the community, do NOT post in the forums to rally a lynching mob. You contact a representative of Innogames. Any actions differing from this will result in sanctions, up to and including a permanent ban.

It's just that simple.

I'm guessing you are replying to my last post, although you don't say so.

I was not aiming that comment at you, or at anyone else in particular. I was answering another post and making a general comment about my philosophy of moderating games.

I could send an email to Innogames, but I have no knowledge of what touched off this firestorm, and I don't want to know. It's none of my business. Anyway, the devs don't speak to us mere mortals, and apparently don't really care what is said about TW.

I can find you dozens, probably more like hundreds, of people who moderate games for free, but don't play. Google Diplomacy, En Garde, D&D, GURPS, and a number of other campaign rules and look for free campaigns. They're all over the place.

I did *not* say that non-playing moderators are free of bias or suspicion - you added that. I have quit more games for that reason alone (40+ that I can remember over the years) than you have probably played. My point was that playing and moderating the same game is an inherent source of additional suspicion, over and beyond the normal problems that follow GMing. If I were Innogames, I'd try to not add any more potential problems. But it's their game, and a bit late now.

I moderated my first game (which was free) in 1974, and I still run small games for free. I am not "grossly ignorant, or deliberately misrepresenting" anything about moderating.

DeletedUser

I am not "grossly ignorant, or deliberately misrepresenting" anything about moderating.
In this case you very well are misrepresenting. All the games you mentioned above are "board" or "tabletop" games, so the moderators do indeed play those games, whilst the influence of their moderating of forums has nothing to do with their moderating of the games themselves, which they do not do, unless of course they're taking on the role of DMs/GMs, in which case they are indeed playing, and calls of DM/GM favoritism has always been an issue (participated in RPGs since the 70's, so no slouch here either). As it is, you will be very hard-pressed to find any MMORPG or browser-based game whereby the volunteers are not themselves players.

This subject has strayed substantially from my ingame actions as a player, so I advocate a lock.

DeletedUser

But you WILL find that in most games where players are also mods and vice-versa, they have no powers on the server(s) that they do play on. They are simply and only players.

Now I'm not saying whether you have powers or not, I don't know how the devs have it set up, but accusing people of misrepresenting an idea without having complete knowledge about the subject is what caused this problem to begin with...

My 2 cents...and I'm done...

DeletedUser21320

In this case you very well are misrepresenting. All the games you mentioned above are "board" or "tabletop" games, so the moderators do indeed play those games, whilst the influence of their moderating of forums has nothing to do with their moderating of the games themselves, which they do not do, unless of course they're taking on the role of DMs/GMs, in which case they are indeed playing, and calls of DM/GM favoritism has always been an issue (participated in RPGs since the 70's, so no slouch here either). As it is, you will be very hard-pressed to find any MMORPG or browser-based game whereby the volunteers are not themselves players.

Diplomacy moderators do not play, and there is substantial work involved in administering the games. Ditto for historical campaigns for miniatures players.

And I don't see the real difference between an FRP DM who does a ton of extra work to make sure the players are entertained, and a moderator who tries to keep the game fun for the players. Only a bad DM plays against the players. The moderator can get a lot of satisfaction from a job well done. For many people, that's enough. Perhaps the typical browser player isn't going to be happy with that, but there are many who would serve if there was a need and they were asked. And the suggestion was that the moderator not play in the same world s/he is moderating. Seems reasonable to me.

DeletedUser

Hello people .. it's just a game. Hellstromm has the right to play this as much as anyone else does if not more so!

Status
Not open for further replies.