Let's clear this up

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser23629

This subject has strayed substantially from my ingame actions as a player, so I advocate a lock.

I don't think it worked:nowink:

Hello people .. it's just a game. Hellstromm has the right to play this as much as anyone else does if not more so!

I guess it keeps it interesting.

This is turning into quite the heated thread, no need to lock it. It's just getting fun :)

DeletedUser15169

This subject has strayed substantially from my ingame actions as a player, so I advocate a lock.

Less controversial threads have been locked before, even if they are not against the mods. Just lock it if you want to! LOL

I don't think this is off topic at all. It's good (at least for me) to get get a little constructive criticism...helps me reassess if I am doing the best job I can or not? Am I being a good leader? Am I showing good leadership attributes? How do the actions I execute affect my image as a leader? Will people want to follow me if I motivate them in this way? Is my leader ego too large?

For me I often finding myself trying to take control of everything, and having a micro-managerial leadership style. I have to assess weather my ego is growing too large by the feedback I get from my co-workers, team mates, and town members.

It is essential to balance an Authoritarian leadership style and a Laze Fair style; in real life, in the work place, at school, and in game. To be an effective leader IT IS ESSENTIAL to listen to your constituents, and assess honestly what they are saying. In some cases when someone is criticizing a leader, it is unfounded, or the just don't like the person. In OTHER cases, it is honest assessment and criticism. The leader must evaluate which case this is, and weather to make any changes or not.

DeletedUser

Hello people .. it's just a game. Hellstromm has the right to play this as much as anyone else does if not more so!

And here's the problem with the situation. A moderator has much more responsibility in a game than anyone else. They really need to be seen as above reproach and as objective as possible. It's not about having the right to play, it's about having the right to play and moderate the same server at the same time.

The problem with allowing those who moderate to play on the servers they're moderating is it both creates huge temptation to use/abuse the powers (not that I'm saying that's what happened) but more importantly, can make it seem like that's what is happening by other players. Which, even if it's not true, creates the kind of situation that happened, causing bad feelings and relations for a lot of people.

There's 12 servers, and I assume at least 12 moderators out there. Shouldn't be too hard to come up with a way that allows the people who moderate to be able to still play the game without creating potential integrity issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I like conspiracy theories though. Did you shoot Kennedy too Hellstromm? That picture on the grassy knoll clearly shows a man who looks just like you and is wearing the identical cowboy hat as you. I bet it was wasn't it!

DeletedUser

Just to say I have heard A bit of this story and what happened but not all off it but I feel a bit sorry for hellstormm and think what some people say about him is completely false. About yous talking earilier about the Mod's playing the game I think it is a good thing how can they get a veiw what needs improved and how it has to be improved. But before banning people double or triple check...

DeletedUser23629

It's true, he does get a lot of bull crap from people. Some deserved, some not. But hey, that's all part of it. I don't know many moderators that people love. It's pretty hard to do that, but once again, he's still not taking any forts. Where you at hellstromm? I enjoy a challenge, and the bent bulls haven't been much fun to fight lately.

DeletedUser

And I don't see the real difference between an FRP DM who does a ton of extra work to make sure the players are entertained, and a moderator who tries to keep the game fun for the players.
No comparison whatsoever. Those FRPs are not for profit, do not have player accounts, handle very small groups, only deal with a few incidents, if any, a week, and are for the most part very personalized relationships.

Ingame moderators are recruited from the player base, are dealing with a for-profit product, manage +20,000 accounts, deal with 20 to 100 incidents a DAY, with each moderator having to ban 5 to 50 accounts every single day (following policy, not whim).

The fact that drama-filled stink results from two banned accounts out of every 2,000 banned accounts is, in my opinion, rather acceptable numbers. Once again, it's what you don't see, as a player, that leaves you grossly ignorant of what it is we VOLUNTARILY manage and deal with. If that offends you, unfortunately I'm calling it as it is.

And here's the problem with the situation. A moderator has much more responsibility in a game than anyone else. They really need to be seen as above reproach and as objective as possible. It's not about having the right to play, it's about having the right to play and moderate the same server at the same time.

The problem with allowing those who moderate to play on the servers they're moderating is it both creates huge temptation to use/abuse the powers (not that I'm saying that's what happened) but more importantly, can make it seem like that's what is happening by other players.
You know nate, this sort of pisses me off, as I already answered your question on this in a ticket two days ago, and therefore find your post here to be deliberately misrepresentative:
Hello natepaul76,

The allegations posed on my actions as a moderator are patently false. Ingame moderators do not moderate the worlds they play in. < etc >
The response I provided was more detailed, but that's the gist of what's important to address in response to your above post. The fact you were already informed, and decide to represent this once again, shows malice.

As it is, there are account-specific violations and there are world-specific violations. In the case of an account-specific violation, a global ban may be imposed, due to the fact the issue is with the accounts themselves. In the case of a world(s)-specific violation, the person may be banned on that respective world only. If a person has an account-specific violation a global ban results in that person being banned on all worlds they play. If an instance occurs whereby a moderator has a character in a specific world where a globally banned person also has an account, it could give the IMPRESSION that the ingame moderator is moderating that world, but that is simply NOT the case.

Once again, the vast majority of players simply do not know the schema here, and thus do not know how it is things are managed by the moderators. This is as it should be, for any information provided can and will be used by those who wish to exploit the system.

Where you at hellstromm? I enjoy a challenge, and the bent bulls haven't been much fun to fight lately.
I have been busy of late, and thus put my character in w11 to do jobs until my schedule clears up a bit. Besides that, however, I'm not part of Bulls Bend, and was merely hired for a time to try and iron out some of their wrinkles. Their team needs a bit of work, as far as trusting leadership, but time will eventually work that issue out and their skillz will increase along with that trust.

DeletedUser

I'll throw in a quick sentence, as I might be a little biased on this:

A mod is still a player. He does his jobs, leads towns and goes into battle, just like a player. He started this game, not to be a moderator, but to play a game. He has the same rights and in-game ability as everyone else. However, if he takes on the responsibility of being a mod, he loses the ability to be like everyone else? Does that seem at all fair? Not really =/

DeletedUser

HellStromm, you're right, and I find I have to apologize again. It was not deliberate, I just got caught up in the argument and had forgotten what you sent me. I find myself digging deeper and deeper in a hole here, so I'll stop.

:blink::unsure:

DeletedUser

Fact is none of us will know what its like to moderate more then likely none of us will. It seems hes doing a good job and untill theres rock solid evidence otherwise i don't see the point in trying to crucify him over in game actions.

That being said i thought the point of this was to talk about your in game activities as well as you being a moderator maby i understood wrong.

Deleted User - 819397

Fact is none of us will know what its like to moderate more then likely none of us will. It seems hes doing a good job and untill theres rock solid evidence otherwise i don't see the point in trying to crucify him over in game actions.

That being said i thought the point of this was to talk about your in game activities as well as you being a moderator maby i understood wrong.

Adding my two cents here.

I was not a moderator until around a month ago. Since then I have seen first hand the kinds of things that all moderators both put up with and deal with so that the majority of players never see some of the garbage put here. I was and still am a player in the game, and I am also a moderator now. Hellstromm is one of the best moderators we have. He has the ability to do his job well, and he does that. However, many people take his superior work and find holes in it...usually because they only have one side of the story or they heard a wild conjecture rumor. Hellstromm does not deserve to constantly be held under suspicion by the players of this game, since he has not done anything to earn these suspicions, or deserve them in any way. My position I take here is something I would take, regardless of if I was a mod or not. We are volunteers who put our time into making this game a more enjoyable place for everyone. We have dealt with crap both on the forums and in-game that was serious and had to be dealt with promptly, which it was. We do this purely because we love the game and want to put something back into it.

Peter008 said:
I don't know many moderators that people love.

This is often because you only hear from people who dislike the moderators. More people like us than those who do not, and this is because we do our jobs well, and they appreciate us for it. However, these people usually do not publicize their support, rather they PM us or rep us as thanks. Now, people who feel they have been wronged by us (usually it is because they have not thought their actions through logically) are highly likely to scream it to the world that we are corrupt, abusing our abilities. This is a sad truth. I know for a fact that not one of us abuse our powers...in fact, if we are uncertain if an action is punishable, we will ask the rest of the team for clarification. We do our best, and we do it well. It's a thankless job oftentimes, since most people either don't see our work since we take care of it before anyone sees, or they only hear the people who feel they've been wronged by us whining about it. We are volunteers who have NO reason to continue moderating except for the fact that we love the game. You say not many moderators are loved...we are, just those who appreciate us often say nothing out loud, thanking us in private.

DeletedUser

I hope you didn't quote my post for any particular reason. I don't dislike any of you. Beyond that i don't really like any of you :nowink:. You are all here for a purpose and untill there is proof that what you do is wrong i will support it. I don't go off what anyone tells me i wish other people would do the same. The benefit of the doubt does not apply to moderators. Its's convenient to have someone to blame i guess.

DeletedUser15169

I don't know many moderators that people love.

Well I know a few mods that are FOR SURE fair, not to say the other ones arnt, and I cant tell if they are half the time. For two that ARE fair every time Ive seen: Diggo11 and Djstorm, they are the most notable, others are too, and im not leaving them out :)

DeletedUser

What kind of crap is this?

reputation_neg.gif
Let's clear this up 27-04-2010 05:40 AM mostly false, if it were true, there would be no need to defend himself

So, basically, because I stand up for myself and decide to clear up the false allegations posed, somehow I'm not telling the truth? And that if I didn't respond at all, somehow the falsehoods presented would in fact be false? That is amazingly idiotic. The only reason I bothered to post this in the first place is because some people bothered to believe the false allegations, which have since been retracted by those who made those allegations in the first place. I mean, common sense would dictate that if the persons who posed the allegations later retract their allegations, everyone would stop believing in the crap.

It's amazing the idiocy sometimes presented. It really is. It's amazing that a person would be deemed guilty for defending himself, but innocent if he allows lies, made about him and his actions, to remain unanswered. Seriously, whomever gave me this rep, pull your head out of your rectum.

DeletedUser

Hellstromm don't you know by now that people are going to believe what they want to believe no matter how many times you tell them the truth or your side of the story they're still going to believe what they think is right.

The fact of the matter is that you're fighting a losing battle trying to defend yourself. People who keep up with this kind of crap are the ones who have nothing better to do than spread gossip that they heard through the grapevine.

You know how it goes. First someone says oh he went after one of my workers, the next person repeats it and embellishes what they heard a little and adds to that first story that you took out all the workers in the town, next person adds more to it and so on and so on and finally you come to the end of the story and you've KO'd all the towns in the eastern side of the map all by yourself.

Best thing to do is let it die on it's own and eventually they'll get tired of talking about it and next week they'll have a new victim to play with that gets all upset and feeds into their game. :)

Why do you think I posted up earlier about you killing kennedy LOL

DeletedUser

Hellstromm,

For what its worth I think you have done a great job. You came to our town to help with some battles and while you were in town there were 0 problems. You offered your advice if it was wanted and stayed out of town business.

I have had dealings with the mods and they have always treated me fairly. Even a mod that was a true enemy in the game world. She handled my complaint professionally as a mod and not as a player. I think the mods are capable of both playing the game and being able to do the job impartially.

Hellstromm stand tough and keep up the good work.

Peter008 we will be making another stand in W11. We do not back down from a challenge and look forward to battling you many more times.

REMEMBER THIS IS JUST A GAME!!!!!!!!!!

DeletedUser

I agree Hellstromm does do a great job! I have known him for over a year now (wow, that long huh?). We first met on a world he is no longer on and we were in the same town for quite awhile. His training in dueling and general knowledge has helped me tremendously in the game.

Both of us are on World 7, most times as adversaries in fort battles. He has the talent of running battles, running his towns and is just over all good at the game. I have a lot of respect for that.

A lot of people only know him as an opponent in the game and as such they tend to rant a lot against him. The hotheads of the game have not learned to take a deep breath. Type what they want to say in notepad and send it out after they have cooled down.

DeletedUser23629

Peter008 we will be making another stand in W11. We do not back down from a challenge and look forward to battling you many more times.

I keep hearing this "surprise" or "comeback" or "making another stand." But not much has been done :nowink:. I'm falling asleep in world 11. You guys either need a bunch of new allies, or maybe a new leader in these battles.

DeletedUser

I keep hearing this "surprise" or "comeback" or "making another stand." But not much has been done :nowink:. I'm falling asleep in world 11. You guys either need a bunch of new allies, or maybe a new leader in these battles.
Meh, take your P&P elsewhere. hehe

DeletedUser23629

I'm going to keep bringing it up till I get under your skin. Then maybe you'll join a town and TRY to give us a challenge. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.