Votes: 2 0.8%

Votes: 12 4.6%

Votes: 1 0.4%

Votes: 14 5.4%

Votes: 32 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeletedUser

youre the best bud! you understand how i feel!:)

I dont know the other banner markers, so they are not someone I would call a friend. You would be a friend to me as much as the others.

AND you could have voiced your oppinion in the banner entry contest thread, but you DID NOT! The only reason why you put forward your voice now is that it seems you dont get 1st place.

DeletedUser

Block420, Gem removed blatant, verified, copied work. Most of the sigs presented had elements of other people's work, but when it is taken "as is" and presented "as mine," it's an unacceptable entry. That was the case with some of the entries, and thus the reason some of the entries were not included. It's not an attack on the individuals who presented those entries, just a standard imposed by general consensus and enforced by Gem.

Verified? I don't see any palpable proof. Would using two elements, but neither of them made by me except the text and putting them in a canvas, be an unacceptable entry? If yes, look at 21, and call me an idiot. If not, then some signatures that were posted definitely had to be in. General consensus? No one called one.

Also, to whoever posted #21, the theme was "Elements" (notice the plural noun) not "The Element" or as such.

DeletedUser

I dont know the other banner markers, so they are not someone I would call a friend. You would be a friend to me as much as the others.

AND you could have voiced your oppinion in the banner entry contest thread, but you DID NOT! The only reason why you put forward your voice now is that it seems you dont get 1st place.

I agree with these wise words. Also you have the second place, is that really SO bad? I see other ppl with less votes who didnt even vote themselfs.

I think the contest was about having fun.

Also the quality of his sig wasnt bad at all, how comes you call it so? And whats up with the photoshop...not everyone on earth uses that, and this isnt a photoshop competition, or advertisement.:huh:

edit:
Verified? I don't see any palpable proof. Would using two elements, but neither of them made by me except the text and putting them in a canvas, be an unacceptable entry? If yes, look at 21, and call me an idiot. If not, then some signatures that were posted definitely had to be in. General consensus? No one called one.

Also, to whoever posted #21, the theme was "Elements" (notice the plural noun) not "The Element" or as such.

and I guess you were one of those who were caught copying, right?
Let me inform you:
When you take A and B, and you create C
Its different than taking A and B and making AB in a line...

Every image combined in Darfox's sig, was totally unrelated to any element or whatever.The background could be a photograph.
It is called creativity.

Yes, many ppl made pretty things. But 21 was really well thought. It happens. It proves that you dont need to steal to actually do something.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser13020

yes, number 21 had minimal work put into it. grab tree background, render out those 2 chatacters and cut off duelers left shoulder. Even that is still more work than the ones that were disqualified. Those were just copy and paste a single picture (or four, one for each element) scale it down to appropriate size. didnt even try to blend them together or add add the slightest effect. crtl+c, ctrl+v add text and done. Like I said, i think Gem did a good job.

DeletedUser

Also half the people cought copying took there work from deviantart, which isn't a place to get free work. You HAVE to get permission from the owners of that artwork to use it.

DeletedUser17952

im not participating in this anymore, and it's not cause i dont get 1st place, its just cause that's not fair, that's the only reason :/

One Armed Ninja

All of them ARE related to the theme, Darkfox just took a different tangent compared to almost everyone else (only 2 others also went off uniquely)

I do agree that your sig probably took more time and efforrt than some of the winning ones - and i think it looks better, but some forum goers dont always think of everything, and there are a lot of sigs to just choose one from.

DeletedUser17952

yeah maybe youre right, but anyway i think that is unfair, and as i already said, i dont participate in this anymore, dont vote for sig #28, thanks and bye:)

One Armed Ninja

yeah maybe youre right, but anyway i think that is unfair, and as i already said, i dont participate in this anymore, dont vote for sig #28, thanks and bye:)

Oh, don't be bitter - I think you madse a rather nice Sig and would like to see what you could do on other themes
Plus I've only recieved 1 vote (I never vote for myself), which is a little depressing but bygones be bygones

DeletedUser

Also half the people cought copying took there work from deviantart, which isn't a place to get free work. You HAVE to get permission from the owners of that artwork to use it.

Actually, if they use a license which allows you to modify and redistribute, you can.

and I guess you were one of those who were caught copying, right?
Let me inform you:
When you take A and B, and you create C
Its different than taking A and B and making AB in a line...

Every image combined in Darfox's sig, was totally unrelated to any element or whatever.The background could be a photograph.
It is called creativity.

Yes, many ppl made pretty things. But 21 was really well thought. It happens. It proves that you dont need to steal to actually do something.

Not at all, I didn't participate. Clever try there.
Let me inform you:
If the stealing is so "proven", then, where is the proof?

All of them ARE related to the theme, Darkfox just took a different tangent compared to almost everyone else (only 2 others also went off uniquely)

I do agree that your sig probably took more time and efforrt than some of the winning ones - and i think it looks better, but some forum goers dont always think of everything, and there are a lot of sigs to just choose one from.
The theme is called "The Elements" (a COLLECTIVE noun, DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT THAT MEANS?) not "The Element".

One Armed Ninja

The theme is called "The Elements" (a COLLECTIVE noun, DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT THAT MEANS?) not "The Element".

"The Elements" represents a range of ideas from which the creators can pick and choose what they want.

For example Fire, is one of the Natural "Elements"
Surprise is one of a different kind of "elements" (can't think of the right word)

"The Elements" Does not limit you to having to do more than one element, It merely represents what you can use to create the signature.

Edit, and in the the stealing part, plenty of proof was offered up in the entrance thread - Gem's just had a little clean up since.

DeletedUser

Block, it is not your problem to worry about why other entries were disqualified. If yours was not disqualified, it's none of your business. If the person who had a disqualified entry wishes to know, he/she can ask Gem. Simply put, it's none of your business.

As to the parameters of this competition, it was open-ended. Now, I think the original post in this poll should have reiterated the theme, so people can focus on what best fits the theme, but I am not going to further speculate as to whether all the voters were, or were not, aware of the theme. #21 is a hands-down winner. When I saw his entry, I commented on the thread, so it caught my eye too. It was a good idea, and it turned out to be a winning idea. The best I could think of was changing forces to horses, and came up with elemental horses. Not too high on creativity, but then again sigs aren't my thing. :)

There were many good entries. Habek, I liked yours as well (assuming you made it from scratch), but it was not #1 on my list. Elements being defined by colors was a common presentation, as was the sectional format. Almost half the sigs followed that template. In order to win, you had to break the mold, be original, creative, not merely technically adept. I saw some originality, some creativity, and that is what makes these contests fun. It's not the winning, it's the viewing of other people's art, other people's interpretations.

So, seriously, put away the angst, throw out the vitriol and just enjoy the community. We're all here for the fun, the entertainment. Don't forget that, or bitter be the beer.

DeletedUser

Oi, I'm more into commercial art, cartooning, abstract and surreal painting. Sigs are simply too small, like building a ship in a bottle.

DeletedUser

i think, there should be a SOTM Discussion thread, so that everyone can talk there.