Unfair Dueling

DeletedUser1105

That would be too difficult for duellers.

They already have to travel to a town, now you want them to travel elsewhere on top of that?

And then if people are online, they might do all of that and not even get a duel out of it.

No, I don't think that would be fair.+

DeletedUser

I would put my vote to the travel to the player not the town

My reason is I don't have to travel 2+hrs to have a go at dueling the player back :)

DeletedUser1105

I am all for duelling at the location of the player.

Not if you have to go to the town THEN the place though.

DeletedUser

I am all for duelling at the location of the player.

Not if you have to go to the town THEN the place though.

Why would you want to do that !!! Find the player and hunt them down, simple to implement click on player, go to player, duel player

Maybe a warning to the player who is about to be dueled 2 min's before it happens ,I say 2 mins as if you are online it gives you chance to reequip your player but not long enough to run and hide(go to sleep)

Players can't complain they never have a chance to defend themselves then and Duelers still get a chance to earn $$ and xp

DeletedUser

It was Sammie's suggestion to go to the town then the location .
Which I see as entirely unfair to the dueler .

DeletedUser

Which is why I said it probably won't work.

But unless suggestions are made and thrashed out, then potential problems are spotted. I spotted one; others spotted others.

Re OxoTower; 2 minutes is too short - unless the time is added to travel time. For a Tribal Wars analogy - I see incoming attacks as soon as they are launched - not when they arrive at my walls. I can then choose to defend or dodge. Why do we not see duelling challenges here when they are issued to give us the same chance here?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Re the time ,I made it short as you would then have the problem of players dodging and logging in for a 8 hr sleep session

I was trying to make it fair on both sides ,duelers need to duel to make $$ and xp but non dueling characters need some form of defence and normally they are dressed in their best work gear not their best fighting clothes

The Tribal wars analogy doesn't really work on here in my eyes as it is a totally different game if you dodge an attack over there you will lose resources and get your walls knocked down in the best case so the attacker gains something ,if you dodge an attack over here the attacker gets nothing

DeletedUser

Duelling women?

Okay, I have listened to the arguments in favor of duelling, and I can see the retionale there. After all, gunfights were a common occurence in the Old West and an undeniable part of Western history. All of that is freely conceded. The problem that I have is with those highwaymen who prey upon women players. I mean, come on! If you want to romanticize and glamorize your behaviour by cloaking it in the mystique of Jesse James et al, fine. But be man enough to go up against another man and dont be victimizing women. After all, is there not supposed to be "honor among thieves?" I have no problem with somebody whupping me in a fair fight. My record in duelling will show that I have taken my fair share of lumps, and I have given as good as I have got.
However chauvinistic this sounds, if the duelling system is fair as it exists between men, fine. But there is just something fundementally wrong with preying on a woman. Im on my way now to a town to help rid it of the vermin that are into beating on women townsfolk, and I look forward to the opportunity to teach them some manners. That being said, it will be argued that women can get the same weapons and skill levels that their male counterparts can, and although that may be true, in the actual Old West I am confident there would be more that fit the model of Laura Ingalls Wilder than there would be that fit the model of Annie Oakley or calamity jane.
In summary, let the women be. Have the courage to come after a man. Otherwise acknowledge that youre the lowdown polecat that you are.

DeletedUser

I definitely think that the moment someone is challenged to a duel they should see that information.
There IS a problem with having 'real location' duels though. Lets say someone you wish to duel is working at a job you can't do....how do you go to their location? the answer to this would be to just click on, 'duel' with the player and you automatically travel there in the time it would take to go to that job if you could do it.. If we are doing this then i would dispense with the 10 minute wait to duel.
Anyway liking the new spirit of trying to work out a better way to play the game from all rational points of view.

DeletedUser1105

There will be a lot of female players of the game very annoyed with your very old-fashioned view.

Don't say it's an old fashioned game, because it's not. It's a modern game made in 2008. Women have equality on these games, as they should. Just because it is based in the wild west, doesn't mean we should play exactly as it was. Do you want women to only be able to select jobs like 'washing laundry' and 'raising children'?

So what that they are female? It's not like you are ACTUALLY fighting a woman.

I do hope you were not being serious.

DeletedUser

That's why i said 'rational' -just can't be bothered even getting into this stuff.

DeletedUser

in the actual Old West I am confident there would be more that fit the model of Laura Ingalls Wilder than there would be that fit the model of Annie Oakley or calamity jane.

Here I would argue that every Player Character is more like Laura Croft of the Tomb Raider series than any of the three example You picked .
I would also say that this point is one of the many area's where a players suspension of disbelief must be exercised . As desirable as it would be , from a Role Playing perspective , to have the game mirror the era in which it is set . We simply must accept that inequality of the sexes will not be instated in the game for that or any other purpose . This does not mean that 'in character' arguments for dueling/retribution can not be made on these grounds , simply that the game mechanics will not and should not be set so that "the fairer sex" remains weaker or less robust in any way . Being they are equal in all respects to others characters , We must accept that they be treated likewise .

DeletedUser

omg. prudhomme are you actually some sort of robot built in the 50s sent through time to offend every woman here? wtf.

DeletedUser

You know where to find me

just go to a hotel when you log off

If that was a threat, Mr. DejaVu you know where to find me. Speaking a persons mind is no crime and God grant never will be. This is a public forum, and if you dont care for whats being said, stay out.

DeletedUser

Thank you Brother Jones

Thank you Brother Jones for your well reasoned response. My Creole Blood once again got the best of me. Keighlon, as for you I was a practicing attorney in the California Court system until I suffered three heart attacks in six weeks. By all medical estimates I should be dead already. So if I tend to play this game and voice my opinion with zeal, energy and passion, its because thats the way you do things when you dont know if each day is going to be your last. So if you cant abide any opinion that doesnt rubber stamp your own, look at your own mindset before you have the monumental gall to insult someone you dont know the first thing about in that fashion. Enough said, Im out of here. I need some fresh air.

DeletedUser

If you were to place women "characters" off limits to duelers, you would have an exponential increase in female players once implemented. Since you are a female giving her version of a sexist bent to the game, let me add mine. If you choose female you are limited in your strength and dexterity attirbutes and their associated skills. This would aslo serve to limit the available jobs to women characters.

DeletedUser

no i tottaly disagree with this like thats part of the game if some one duels you thats stronger than you online or not thats tough luck thats the game other wise if some one was about to duel me and was stronger than me i could just go offline no its a western game not a barbie tea party game, i would defo leave if they done this.

DeletedUser

Which is exactly why it will never be implemented . Entrenched sexism has no place in this game . It existed in the era in which the game is set , yes . However most societies have moved past it to a great degree . It does not belong in this game or this era . A point was raised , and dropped , I for one would like to simply allow this tangent of the discussion at hand to fade away .

I believe We were discussing a practical way for dueling challenges to be implemented .
I would say that a two to five minute warning is just fine . It would allow the time to make a wardrobe switch ,
but not the time to run to a hotel . Any length is going to be argued with , 'what if I'm not on line?' and such .

DeletedUser

If you're less than x minutes from town (where x is the time set by the game), then all you need to do is go to the hotel if you're online anyway.