Dueling needs some important changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

i would like to say... however if a person is challenged he gets himself ready for it,

i.e.
gets into better clothes alters his clothing to the best he can get/afford

then he can go and have a duel, as for the moment, i'm a craftsman so i tend to work a lot, then i get duelled without any type of announcement, to let me get ready, ( scared that i might actually be better ? ) with a decent set of cloths on. ( although i doubt that a lot ). so i lose oooh whoopeee what on earth does that give the dueller ? honour ? prestige ? with him decked out for a fight, its like :
Wyatt earp duelling a farmhand with a knife while he has a rusty musket
John wayne with his trusty sixgun vs a railroad worker with a pick
clint eastwood duelling a townman

and no this aint hard cheese, just a person that thinks the duelling system could actually be a whole lot better for everyone involved

as of the moment i make sure i carry less than 40 dollars sometime even less than that

regards,

PS

happy new year to all

DeletedUser

Yes, I know what you mean!

Perhaps it would be better that when duelled, you get a message on your screen: You have been duelled. Prepeare for 12 o clock. Like in the movies.

:bandit:"I challenge you to a duel"
:laugh:-Are you sure about that? Id hate to hurt you again!
:bandit:"Here... at 12 ò clock..Sharp!"
:D-You got it.

PS HAPPY NEW YEAR ITS 2009!!! YEAH!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Builders earn best. Duallers make a living off of builders because the jobs they can do if they want to be a good dualist make little money in comparison to their level. It's the circle of life. If you don't want to lose money, hop into town between jobs and deposit.

DeletedUser

Builders earn best. Duallers make a living off of builders because the jobs they can do if they want to be a good dualist make little money in comparison to their level. It's the circle of life. If you don't want to lose money, hop into town between jobs and deposit.

Then make it so duelers can be dueled while sleeping. Our town had a dueler coming in and hitting the builders and when our dueler would go to hit him he would "go to sleep" this happened not once twice or three times it was in the 5-6 range.

Let's play the West and duelers duel duelers thats fair. If duelers attack townspeople then the whole town should have the defensive ability to attack en mass and if a dueler gets knocked out in this manner then they would be out for 72 hours not 48. This would offend duelers because they like being bullies with the present system where they can attack builders and non-dueling classes. In reality when "duelers" attacked people in the west and a town rose up they got HUNG and they were done for more than 48 or 72 hours. It's easy to pick fights when there really isn't any risk involved.

To be fair for duelers they should put in some dueler specific jobs that pay well, such as robbing a stage, robbing a train, bank etc.... This way dueler's could make money gain experience and be left to fight each other rather than people who did not play this game for the purpose of dueling other players.

DeletedUser

i am a builder on 2 of the worlds and have no problem with the way it is now but then again i play it smart

if it was changed to a warning given before the duel that would ruin the game.

DeletedUser

To be fair for duelers they should put in some dueler specific jobs that pay well, such as robbing a stage, robbing a train, bank etc.... This way dueler's could make money gain experience and be left to fight each other rather than people who did not play this game for the purpose of dueling other players.

There are Ambush, Bounty Hunter, Ambush Stagecoach, Robbing Trains and Burglarly in the game now, but they don't really use many dueling skills.

DeletedUser

If duelers attack townspeople then the whole town should have the defensive ability to attack en mass...

Everyone already has this ability. You post on your forum, or telegram your town members and make a date/time to go and attack a player or town together. If you can't organise that, it is a weakness in your town, not the game.

And honestly, I am so sick of seeing the word bully in this thread. It is a very offensive term. I am an adventurer on 4 worlds. I get dueled. And when I do, I don't assume the player who attacked me is being vindictive or mean or low.

Class means little when it comes to knowing what the defensive capabilities of a player is. Not everyone is a "pure" anything so who knows where people's skills are allocated. And dueling level means even less. The amount of experience gained could just be because that player duels more frequently not because he or she is so much more powerful than you.

There are already restrictions in the game which mean weaker players can't be abused. Both players need to be able to gain something from the duel. Anyone who has an active "duel" next to their name is fair game. I am fair game.

Yesterday, out of the blue, a dueler took a bit of my money and nearly all of my health while I was working. I didn't send him an abusive message and call him names. I sent a joke and we had a laugh about how he'd beaten me up.

Everyone has the choice to build up their defensive skills or not. If some people don't (like me), that's on their head. People choose not to because other aspects are more important to them. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

As far as bullying goes, the most meanness I see is from those who verbally attack duelers on the basis of their class and send them disgusting telegrams in game over a couple of dollars and some HP. Ending that kind of attitude is the only thing that needs to be changed about dueling, imo.

Diggo11

Sorry if I've changed subjects but this thread has nine pages.

I think that there should be a warning system, but also changes to character classes. When a duel is instigated the defender gets a warning, simple enough. But Soldiers and Duellers should have advantages to lessen this, so their livelihood isn't stolen. So when Soldiers attack the warning should only be given during the ten minute duelling period. As for the Duelling class they don't give any warning at all. I think this balances out attacking and defending forces, but it leaves Duellers and Soldiers unimpaired.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Everyone already has this ability. You post on your forum, or telegram your town members and make a date/time to go and attack a player or town together. If you can't organise that, it is a weakness in your town, not the game.

I think I didn't explain this thoroughly enough. The attacker is facing in one fight the collective amount of that towns citizens dueling skills at once (minus the town's duelers of course) so if you attack one builder all the builder's skills are pooled so that they have a chance. How do you have a chance right now to coordinate an attack when you don't know it's coming? That is not a duel that is an ambush.

Saying that you can allocate your skills in different areas? please- that's like saying you are a carpenter and a boxer comes along and you fight, would that be fair- no - That is why boxers fight boxers and carpenters build houses. If a builder decides to attack a dueler he deserves what he gets.

And Violette I did not appreciate the insinuation, for your information I don't send messages in the game or complain about losing a duel I think there needs to be more balance for those who want to build and are here for other reasons than dueling.

Where is the lynch mob part of the game then? Where the town can drag the offending person out of their saloon and hang them? Oh that's right duels are not fatal- that's realistic- LOL

DeletedUser

I think I didn't explain this thoroughly enough. The attacker is facing in one fight the collective amount of that towns citizens dueling skills at once (minus the town's duelers of course) so if you attack one builder all the builder's skills are pooled so that they have a chance. How do you have a chance right now to coordinate an attack when you don't know it's coming? That is not a duel that is an ambush.

When you coordinate your attacks with the town, it has the same effect. Individually, you might all lose, but with several people attacking, you can do enough damage to knock players out. I know, because my town on World 2 does this. We have knocked out higher level players while mostly losing. And we have fun together as a team doing it.

Saying that you can allocate your skills in different areas? please- that's like saying you are a carpenter and a boxer comes along and you fight, would that be fair- no - That is why boxers fight boxers and carpenters build houses. If a builder decides to attack a dueler he deserves what he gets.
In real life it is possible to be both a carpenter and a boxer if you choose to invest your time and energy in both of those things. In fact, they share some skills (like strength) which helps. And so it is in the game. It is everyone's choice.

I find the argument that people should stick to dueling their own class highly irrational. If duelers, who do not have much in the way of jobs and use their energy up six times faster, only fought with other duelers, it would essentially be a closed and bankrupt economy. Those who think this is a good idea are essentially saying that the dueling class should be removed altogether. And I don't think that is fair or reasonable.

And Violette I did not appreciate the insinuation, for your information I don't send messages in the game or complain about losing a duel I think there needs to be more balance for those who want to build and are here for other reasons than dueling.
I in no way made such an insinuation and I am sorry that you read it as though I was referring to you rather than speaking generally. Please let me assure you that I was not. I was simply referring generally to an attitude and behaviour that I have seen both here and in-game which I find highly unpleasant.

However, I do dislike the fact that you and many others have used the terms bullies and bullying to describe people who are just playing the game as it is currently designed. Even if you don't like the current balance of the game, as you are entitled to, I think those terms are nasty and offensive to people who are just, as I said, playing a game.

DeletedUser

I never heard of a dueller sending an abusive message to someone because they returned to the hotel or didn't have any money on them of changed clothes. However there has been some very unsporting abuse towards duellers. All the emotive language is completely misplaced. Goodness knows what these people are like in real life. I certainly pity their long-suffering parents [if indeed they have any].

DeletedUser

Sorry if it's already been stated, but I don't feel like reading all this.

In the real west, if you "dueled" (shot) an unarmed person, it was murder. In some instances, people wouldn't carry a gun so they could avoid being dueled (hopefully anyway).

Maybe that's what should be implemented. Do not arm yourself and you cannot be dueled. Conversely, those that still dueled an unarmed person could be penalized somehow (until the Sheriff role comes into play).

Diggo11

So everyone un-equips their weapon and only re-equip it for ten minutes if they wish to duel. But they couldn't duel anyone anyway because no-one was holding a weapon, and all the duelers are charged with murder.

NO!!!

DeletedUser

Sorry if it's already been stated, but I don't feel like reading all this.

Soooooo... You can't be bothered reading what anyone else has said but you expect everyone else to read your idea, even though they have read the same kind of thing a dozen times before? That's rather, er... impolite.

DeletedUser

IF you do not arm yourself, I will gun you down, and take all your money.

It's your own damn fault for not arming yourself for self-defense.

DeletedUser

Here is the problem. As you level up as a dueler, you are actually GAINING a difference in levels you are able to beat up.

For example, a level 50 dueling level, can beat up people all the way down to basically level 35. (THAT IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE) I understand its different from just level, and dueling level is not necessarily about what lvl your character is.. but that is an obviously big gap. Its extremely unbalanced.. there should be a 10 dueling level difference maximum. Trying to fight people who are SO much weaker than you is rather cowardly. The difference in actual lvl alone... Thats a ton of levels to gain money and weapons and stats that basically make it impossible for anyone to defeat you unless they are the same level.

Now imagine someone at level 60 dueling level. They can actually fight down to level 42.

.... an 18 level difference.

The more you level up, the more you get to beat the living daylights out of people below you.

(This information is based on the dueling equation given in the help section)

Now, Yes.. I am quite pissed at people who are basically bullying in game... its not fair.

True, that duelers basically have to duel to get through the game... but there needs to be a better way to counter for non-duel classes. Be it bounties, or 'building' town defense, or hiring help, or something.. because the game is set up to divide stats by job, you cannot tell people to put stats into dueling as the 'fix' ... in fact thats quite rude to do so.

Essentially this game's pvp, is big guy beat up little guy, so big guy gets bigger. I guess if you want the game to be realistic, sure. But realistically people could also hire other people for help if they themselves couldn't.

Anyways.. SOMETHING needs to be done to act as a defense APART from putting stats into dueling.

DeletedUser

Here is the problem. As you level up as a dueler, you are actually GAINING a difference in levels you are able to beat up.

For example, a level 50 dueling level, can beat up people all the way down to basically level 35. (THAT IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE) I understand its different from just level, and dueling level is not necessarily about what lvl your character is.. but that is an obviously big gap. Its extremely unbalanced.. there should be a 10 dueling level difference maximum. Trying to fight people who are SO much weaker than you is rather cowardly. The difference in actual lvl alone... Thats a ton of levels to gain money and weapons and stats that basically make it impossible for anyone to defeat you unless they are the same level.

Now imagine someone at level 60 dueling level. They can actually fight down to level 42.

.... an 18 level difference.

The more you level up, the more you get to beat the living daylights out of people below you.

(This information is based on the dueling equation given in the help section)

Now, Yes.. I am quite pissed at people who are basically bullying in game... its not fair.

True, that duelers basically have to duel to get through the game... but there needs to be a better way to counter for non-duel classes. Be it bounties, or 'building' town defense, or hiring help, or something.. because the game is set up to divide stats by job, you cannot tell people to put stats into dueling as the 'fix' ... in fact thats quite rude to do so.

Essentially this game's pvp, is big guy beat up little guy, so big guy gets bigger. I guess if you want the game to be realistic, sure. But realistically people could also hire other people for help if they themselves couldn't.

Anyways.. SOMETHING needs to be done to act as a defense APART from putting stats into dueling.

Where do you get these stats from? You are aware that if you attack someone 10 duelling levels below you the most exp you will probably get is about 6. No one bothers unless youve got a lot of money on hand. And if youve got a lot of money on hand, its your own fault because you should bank it or donate it.

Everyone here is basically saying they want to take away the duellers ability to duel because the non-duelling people dont like to duel. Well, buy better weapons, put some stats into protection - you really dont need many stats in protection to save yourself a lot of damage, trust me.

DeletedUser

In practice it really isn't an issue. remember that the level 50 dueller only gets that high by attacking people who he gets points off and he will not get there by attacking someone 15 places beneath him. Do the mathSSSSSSSSS

DeletedUser

I understand its different from just level, and dueling level is not necessarily about what lvl your character is.. but that is an obviously big gap. Its extremely unbalanced.. there should be a 10 dueling level difference maximum...

<snipped>

Trying to fight people who are SO much weaker than you is rather cowardly.

<snipped>.

You guys who don't like the dueling thing really need to get passed the dueling level numbers. It is the way dueling levels are calculated that makes it look like someone is stronger than you. In reality, it is fairly meaningless.

On W2 I am a Level 36 adventurer with dueling Level 44. All that means is that I've had more duels that some people of equivalent character level, not that I am better at them. Why? Because the dueling level bears no relation to the equipment or skills that I have which is what really matters in a duel.

My point? If all you do is look at the dueling level, you have no idea whether that person is picking on someone their own size or not so seriously - stop using words like bully and bullying. It is unfounded and offensive.

If you want to talk about balance...

1. Duelers get crappy XP
I checked out the average XP per duel for the Top 10 duelers on one of the worlds. It is less than 30. No one else at that level has to use 12 energy for a measly 30 XP.

2. Duelers get crappy money
Higher level duelers have access to fewer opponents, and only earn 1/3 of what people are carrying. And higher level players don't carry much. Again, no one else has to use an hour's worth of energy for the chance of earning exactly nothing.

3. Duelers miss out on luck.
For every duel, duelers miss out on 2 chances (ie; 2 half hour blocks) where they could have found a kickass item to use or sell to improve their gear.

Yes, they choose to play the game that way, and they take the lumps in order to get their enjoyment from the game. For all the other classes, you really should take your lumps too with a little more grace because you have made choices as well. And yours have better rewards.

Status
Not open for further replies.